"A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
badidea

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Post by badidea »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:... regardless who organizes them ...
The prize money is insane and awesome, but organizing (a competition) is not something many people like to do. Also the sponsors need to trust the organizer.

Can I vote on round 1 when joining round 2? I tried to register on your forum, but the registration awaits approval.
BTW, your forum does not seem very secure. I got my password mailed back in plain text.
fxm

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Post by fxm »

fxm wrote:In my recent version of Win 10 [version 10.0.17763.292], I no longer see the switch "Override high DPI scaling behavior" (or even an equivalent switch) in the compatibility properties of the .exe file.
Solved.
See at https://www.windowscentral.com/how-chan ... 018-update
(in my corresponding French version of the sub-menu, the text is truncated several times, and moreover it is less clear!)
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Badidea, approved!

Sorry, I can't update the forum anymore, I need to reinstall it, but I feel weary of loosing the database or breaking something. I should prolly take sometime to do it, but everytime I get back to FBGD, it feels inconvinient.

Anyone can vote in the community poll. I leave individual choices to people's conscience.

BTW, anyone playing ChangeV's entry? It's starting to grow on me, more and more. I am confused by the enemies stying on the playfield mechanics. I dig the idea, I'm just not sure if two type of enemies should remain with the same sprites after getting killed, even cycling walk animation in the case of guys. Is this a glitch or intentional? Because ghosts have a "killed" sprite. My top score so far: 2200.

ChangeV, can we Skype or something!
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

It won't solve the issue in general. It happens that if I compile with WinFBE, a manifest will be created, and this will override this property setting that is showed in the website you pointed out - I mean disable the setting totally. Where it starts being really annoying is that inserting the good setting in the manifest seems not really leading to anything good. Landeel and Josep Rocca proposed many things I failed to test properly right now.

For example this example returns 96 for me, and I'm not in 96 but 125% more.

Code: Select all

#include "windows.bi"

DIM hDC AS HDC = GetDC(HWND_DESKTOP)
DIM dpi AS LONG = GetDeviceCaps(hDC, LOGPIXELSX)
ReleaseDC HWND_DESKTOP, hDC

? dpi
Moreover I tried also some gdi+ dpi detection by UEZ that worked at first (returning 1.25) and stopped to work by then (returning 1, wrong value in my system)... That's a little weird. We would need a simple method for detecting the active dpi of the OS on the surface (monitor) where the application windows is running. Maybe a fb feature request?
fxm

Post by fxm »

My "solved" is only for my own problem of "Change high DPI settings" menu on my French version of Windows 10.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

fxm wrote:My "solved" is only for my own problem of "Change high DPI settings" menu on my French version of Windows 10.
Ah ok! I have the same issue also, but didn't pay it too much attention.
If someone finds how to fix the general issue it would be also a good new. I still can't set 1920x1024 screen size without distorsion.

Edit: finally, Landeel proposed something that worked for me: viewtopic.php?p=258291#p258291
Can you confirm it is also good for you (set a 1920*1080 screen after the code for dpiawareness).
Lachie Dazdarian

Hah, finished ChangeV's game! Fun! HI Score - 3930.
gothon

Post by gothon »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote: BTW, anyone playing ChangeV's entry? It's starting to grow on me, more and more.
I have played ChangeV's game. The sprite animation is really good. I only once managed to beat the 3rd boss, and I lost immediately after with a score of 1960!

@Zamaster & mambazo

The Secret Gallery still crashes for me after choosing the screen mode with every exe file so far.

I downloaded the sources posted and attempted to make a debug build. I can't quite use the build options you are using since I don't have GCC set up in my 32bit fbc folder. The options you have seem to be set for maximum optimization! When I try to make my debug build, the compiler finds an array index out of bounds error on line 125 of puzzels.bas. The fixed size array declared in puzzels.bi seems to be too small.

I don't know if increasing the array size this fixes my problem because after increasing it, I get assembler errors stemming from raster.bas
badidea

Post by badidea »

gothon wrote:
Lachie Dazdarian wrote: BTW, anyone playing ChangeV's entry? It's starting to grow on me, more and more.
I have played ChangeV's game. The sprite animation is really good. I only once managed to beat the 3rd boss, and I lost immediately after with a score of 1960!
3rd boss? I only managed to survive a minute or so, until some truck driver stole my love :-)

I got all 8 games to run and played them shortly, some under linux some under win 8.1
Some I don't understand how to play yet.

I will play some more tomorrow and post my scores. And then continue with my own game...
fxm

Post by fxm »

About the "Modifier les paramètres PPP élevés (Change high DPI settings)" menu of French version of Windows 10 which is bugged (truncated text at the top and bottom):
Tourist Trap wrote:
fxm wrote:My "solved" is only for my own problem of "Change high DPI settings" menu on my French version of Windows 10.
Ah ok! I have the same issue also, but didn't pay it too much attention.
When I contacted Windows (French) by chat to report this specific bug of display, they asked me for my detailed pedigree as if this bug was specific to me, so I gave up (we'll see if it's fixed in a next revision of Windows).
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

fxm wrote: When I contacted Windows (French) by chat to report this specific bug of display, they asked me for my detailed pedigree as if this bug was specific to me, so I gave up (we'll see if it's fixed in a next revision of Windows).
I have exactly the same bug. There are many annoying things on win10, and I'm not sure they really want the user to get its past comfort back. Otherwise why have we not even the choice of the login picture. Ok thanks anyway for the feedback! Wait and see then.
ChangeV

Post by ChangeV »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote: BTW, anyone playing ChangeV's entry? It's starting to grow on me, more and more. I am confused by the enemies stying on the playfield mechanics. I dig the idea, I'm just not sure if two type of enemies should remain with the same sprites after getting killed, even cycling walk animation in the case of guys. Is this a glitch or intentional? Because ghosts have a "killed" sprite. My top score so far: 2200.
ChangeV wrote: When enemies are beaten to death, they will stay on screen and confuse the player.
They are intentional to confuse the player.
Lachie Dazdarian

ChangeV wrote:
Lachie Dazdarian wrote: BTW, anyone playing ChangeV's entry? It's starting to grow on me, more and more. I am confused by the enemies stying on the playfield mechanics. I dig the idea, I'm just not sure if two type of enemies should remain with the same sprites after getting killed, even cycling walk animation in the case of guys. Is this a glitch or intentional? Because ghosts have a "killed" sprite. My top score so far: 2200.
ChangeV wrote: When enemies are beaten to death, they will stay on screen and confuse the player.
They are intentional to confuse the player.
Yes, but should they cycle through animation when standing still, including the main hero?
dafhi

Post by dafhi »

Lachie, could you put links to everything in the first post?
song

Post by song »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Badidea, approved!

Sorry, I can't update the forum anymore,
Hello...but many people cannot register in your forum.

In addition, there are three prizes. Each voter should have 3 votes. Should our voting scheme look something like this?
https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/to ... l#msg18024