"A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
vdecampo

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Post by vdecampo »

Wish I had seen this sooner. I love these competitions. Sadly my father passed in December and I've been too busy to check the boards. Thanks Lachie for giving me the heads up but I don't think I can get a game together in 7 days.

-Vince
paul doe

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Post by paul doe »

I'm preparing something at a hectic pace (begun to prepare something for the compo about 3 weeks ago), but I think an extension would be nice (better/more polished games can be presented overall). About a week is enough for me, don't know about others. Thanks for considering it for those of us arriving late at the party XD
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Ok, it's decided! It's sort of a super compromise solution. :)

Since 3 separate persons said one week will help a lot, I will extend the first round deadline for ONE MORE week, ending on 11th of February.

We will also organize a second round for all late arrivals and those who had unplanned delays. It will last from 11th of February till 18 of March (5 weeks). First prize 300 USD, second prize 100 USD. All the same theme rules apply, and only one extra condition. You can't participate in both rounds. So be sure if you want to submit OFFICIALY you entry in the first round. If not, you can still share it before, but please be explicit in waiveing your participation in round one if you don't want to compete for round one prizes and remain eligible for round two. Also, round two is not restricted to people who already started for round one, but of course, those have a head start.

For the prizes in second round, I felt they had to be low enough to sort of "penalize" those who don't manage to participate in round one, or waive their participation and opt for round two, but still substantially high not to be merely symbolic.
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Ok, it's decided! It's sort of a super compromise solution. :)
Well, the solution is certainly workable. Thanks a lot, much appreciated =D
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

interesting... I might actually be able to cobble something together with those time frames...
badidea

Post by badidea »

Some sounds added and a basic menu / start screen added:
But I still have to address to player image / animations (and other stuff).
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

badidea wrote:Some sounds added and a basic menu / start screen added
The overall appearence is very great.
badidea

Post by badidea »

Tourist Trap wrote:
badidea wrote:Some sounds added and a basic menu / start screen added
The overall appearence is very great.
Thanks, but all this shows is actually some nice background and some characters from font image, both from the internet :-)
If time allows, I should make some kerning routine for the font. With less spacing, the font gets ugly.
Landeel

Post by Landeel »

Hey, here's a demo of my WIP.
Some things may change in the final version, most likely level design, difficulty and some graphics.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-2_Kx ... 1g3PXlv0RY
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

Landeel wrote:Hey, here's a demo of my WIP.
Some things may change in the final version, most likely level design, difficulty and some graphics.
UM... awesome!
badidea

Post by badidea »

There is a typo in the introduction text: SENDIND -> SENDING
And I got stuck in the 'game over' screen (running fbshoot-linux-x86).
Keyboard layout seems to be for left-handed persons. Probably the reason for my quick game over screen :-)
Landeel

Post by Landeel »

There is a typo in the introduction text: SENDIND -> SENDING
Fixed! Thank you!
And I got stuck in the 'game over' screen (running fbshoot-linux-x86).
This is probably related to a multithreading issue I'm investigating. Can you edit the .ini file, under [SYSTEM] set multithreading=0 and retry?
Keyboard layout seems to be for left-handed persons. Probably the reason for my quick game over screen :-)
You can edit the .ini file and remap the keys under [keyboard_custom1].
It's worth saying gamepads are highly recommended.
badidea

Post by badidea »

I will delay my entry to the 2nd round. So, changes on the big prize are up :-)
Still some things I want to add, last week was too busy with work and the coming 2 weeks on vacation (without laptop).
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

Nice job!
For some reason full screen seems to be bigger than my screen, there are pieces of stuff I can't see in full at the border I think (like the word PIL in the intro).
Otherwise it's nice. Just maybe I would like to be able to use custom keys for moving and so on. But the project overall is quite appealing :)
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Change the resolution and switch to windowed mode in the ini file. Happened to me as well. Same for customizing your control keys.