"A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Lachie Dazdarian

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

badidea wrote:
Lachie Dazdarian wrote:badidea, Unknown Title, a grid-based puzzle game?
The title is still on my to-do list with many other items. A 'fbtetris' already exists I noticed.
It is grid-based puzzle game, but with a twist. I hope to demonstrate with my game that you don't need an original idea to make something novel.
Are you optimistic on finishing it on time?
badidea

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Post by badidea »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Are you optimistic on finishing it on time?
Finishing? No, never :-) But except for a bug in the collision detection, it is playable at the moment.
The rest of the stuff to be done, is to make 'aesthetically pleasing', which includes things like sound, animations, menus, etc.
I plan is to submit it (in a week) 'as is' with some aesthetics added and continue afterwards with a version '2.0', if I am still motivated to do so (got some other projects in the cue to start on as well).

BTW: I you ever do decide to organize a competition again, I would probably try to contribute something again. This gives me just gives me the additional motivation the continue. I started with the game shortly before the the completion start, although nearly a complete rewrite now. I would have never got it this far without the competition drive. I think my coding has improved the last few month as well due to this, although still enough coding skills to work on. That never ends as well.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

badidea wrote:
Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Are you optimistic on finishing it on time?
Finishing? No, never :-)
Hello,
I find your job quite advanced "as it" according to the shots you shared. From my part however it will probably be more a proof of concept jet. I can't even show anything at the moment.
To be precise I have only those last 2,5 next days to make the game characters playable, then if this works, I will reserve the next week-end to work on the game ambient stuff.

Fortunately I was often able to recycle existing material from what I posted in the forum, and some technical pieces of code are also borrowed from the community (duely credited). Even doing so, putting the glue between every single component had been time consuming. It is still a very interesting excercise, and I find this kind of challenge a very motivating exercise overall.
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

badidea wrote:BTW: I you ever do decide to organize a competition again, I would probably try to contribute something again. This gives me just gives me the additional motivation the continue. I started with the game shortly before the the completion start, although nearly a complete rewrite now. I would have never got it this far without the competition drive. I think my coding has improved the last few month as well due to this, although still enough coding skills to work on. That never ends as well.
I completely agree - it looks like my car accident has decimated any hope of putting together anything recognizable as a game in time... and even without such a disruption, I probably wouldn't have been able to complete it either anyways. BUT, I would gladly contribute towards another competition AND this has prompted me to do more coding in the past month then the entire past year total. This is of immense value to me.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

leopardpm wrote:I completely agree - it looks like my car accident has decimated any hope of putting together anything recognizable as a game in time...
I hope you are recovering well dude!

And yes, I agree again, this time this challenge was a good starter, I found it affordable. It is mainly of course because time passing around here, stealing good ideas to others, I can have an idea now on how to start a project (if not finishing it!)... no, no this is not because of the tantalizing prize :)

If someone curious I'm at this stage of development (not very far, as anounced):
It's based mainly on that: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25318&p=227822&hilit=bones#p227822
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

Tourist Trap wrote:
leopardpm wrote:I completely agree - it looks like my car accident has decimated any hope of putting together anything recognizable as a game in time...
I hope you are recovering well dude!
i am the luckiest man alive... doing well, walking, talking.... was 1 mm from actual death... scary

what in the world?! That looks great! - I want to see that monster beast thing move! can't wait to see what you come up with
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

leopardpm wrote:i am the luckiest man alive... doing well, walking, talking.... was 1 mm from actual death... scary
I'm glad you managed to get out of this in one single whole part ! :)
leopardpm wrote: what in the world?! That looks great! - I want to see that monster beast thing move! can't wait to see what you come up with
Ahah thanks. I hope I won't end with something too monstruous. It's the "playable" character here, I made it full of bones. And I'm trying some easy skinning right now with some Bezier curves I just grabbed from the web (see tips and trick, it's very straighforward).

Image(no it's not just made by Paint ahah!)

I could hide the bones behind of course, just being lazy.
I need a next big step now, to control this stuff as a whole. I'm still far from any ending. Thanks for the support!
badidea

Post by badidea »

Looks a bit like this game: https://www.dosgamesarchive.com/downloa ... fall-2097/ I played that a lot.

Games in the 90's looked so much better then today's games :-) https://www.dosgamesarchive.com/profile/epic-megagames/
Pitto

Post by Pitto »

Games in the 90's looked so much better then today's games
Hi badidea, I agree.

For this reason I'm designing a retro-style game, here's another WIP:
https://youtu.be/oG4saGPkQ5I

@Tourist Trap
Feel free to glue some parts of FBLowPolyeditor or FBBézier if You think it could be useful for your project.

Best regards
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

deleted
Last edited by BasicCoder2 on Jan 27, 2019 2:03, edited 1 time in total.
ChangeV

Post by ChangeV »

It's been a while and I forgot passwords for this FB forum and FBGD forum...

It seems password recovery mail doesn't work for FBGD forum.(tried like 3 times. no mail in mail folder or junkmail folder...)

But for this FB forum, recovery mail worked.
so I am posting about my project here.

I am making 1 stage(1 screen) top-down arena shooter style game.
I started on early December, but very busy on weekdays with full time job.
I mostly worked on weekends (and holidays break too)
I hope I finish it on time.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

ChangeV! So extatic to see you! I was really hoping you are reading your "old" email. Always loved your QB and FB works, and found the collaboration between you and your brother to be an amazing story. You should have emailed me. I'll restore your FBGD forum account. I have some problems with that forum and member account spam. I would need to reinstall it, becuase updates don't work anymore, which are needed to get rid of it, and it's somewhat cumbersome and risky for the current forum database.

Anyway, I'm really split about this competition, becuase I have like 3-4 persons I know that are working on something amazing and need more time.

We are now close to a week until the deadline.

I know I promised I won't extend it again, but the situation is quite specific, with the increased prize and several great entries on the verge of not making it. But, I wouldn't like to extend the deadline once more for no results.

So I'm polling the competition participants on several things.

Are those close to completion for the deadline or already releasing a finished entry ok with more extensions? I'm aware of ssjx, Landeel, Pitto and Boromir as those probably making it. Actually, I'm not sure about Pitto and Boromir. How much your entries will really be ready for the current deadline of 4th of Feb?

Those actively working on their entry who expect to fail or release something severely compromised due the deadline itself, how much of an extensions you need?

Finally, I have a compromise of an idea, but still don't prefer to have it if the current competition will end up being overall weak in number of competitive entries. I have another community member willing to offer another donation, and I'm thinking of using that donation to organize a short, about a month long, EXTRA TIME second chance type of compo specifically extending on this, where there will be only one prize (substantially smaller than current but still much more than symbolic), and where you need to waive of participating for the current deadline (you can submit, but need to officially state you don't want to run for the prizes), to prevent ppl, for example, collecting the third prize with a close to completed entry for the official deadline, and then participating again in the extension where they only polish up their game. What are everyone's thoughts on that?
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote: What are everyone's thoughts on that?
Hi Lachie,

thanks for this challenge and the work done around organizing the things. I totally agree with the second option you put forward. I still think this would be good to try to submit something for february 4th, dismissing the prize with a chance to submit an extended version later. The advantages of keeping the first date is that this doesn't make a sudden break that could be fatal, because things stoped may well never start again before long otherwise.
For my personnal case, at the 4 feb. I may be able to finish my character motion engine, but hardly be able to furnish a world to play within. I still will try to make it for the 4 anyway, at least for the reason I pointed out before.
Pitto wrote: @Tourist Trap
Feel free to glue some parts of FBLowPolyeditor or FBBézier if You think it could be useful for your project.
Thanks a lot, not sure I could make any easy addition right now, but did you join those tools with your football game or somewhere else?
Pitto

Post by Pitto »

Hi Lachie,

first of all thank for having planned this competition.

I've almost completed all, I'm now just working on testing and refining level design. I think that before the february 4th deadline my work will be completed.

I've appreciated that you extended the deadline, it allowed me to add some funny things, animations, wallpaper, audio (thanks again D.J. Peters!) and implement other things such highscore table, difficulty level, credits section and so on... byte after byte this project has become bigger than Jasc Soccer!

While working for my entry I've learned a lot of things concerning OOP programming, and also some feature of the language I didn't know. I've searched a lot in the forum, that has been a great source of documentation, I've learned a lot from other users, I've also used some portions of other's code in my project, and I wish that also them may submit a complete work.

Having a deadline forced me to complete almost all the project, however, for me there's no problem to extend the deadline or manage a extra time competition. I think it's fair for those that didn't have enough time until now...

Anyway I will release my project in time for the actual deadline of february 4th.

It's just my opinion.

I'm sorry for the wall of text.

@Tourist Trap
FBLPE and FBB are some standalone project of mine:

FB Low Poly Editor
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26066
https://youtu.be/3XbM6r8CgjQ

FBBeziér
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25458
https://youtu.be/KrQJxRD8rH8
Boromir

Post by Boromir »

@Lachie
I should be finished by the 4th deadline as well, but I don't have anything against extending the deadline or having an after competition.