WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.1.0 June 4, 2023)

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
PaulSquires

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (Updated January 22, 2019)

Post by PaulSquires »

Tourist Trap wrote:I would like to submit a feature request. I could live without but in another hand it would help a lot if it existed. It's quite simple. I would like to have a unique single textnote tab (in addition to the other coding tabs). It would help to store on the fly anything, from a segment of code, something awaiting to be inserted on, and so on. It wouldn't be a compilable tab, but would be saved with the session. In my mind, it would allow me not to open one or many external notepads that I will forget to save if I have to restart my computer (due to a damn windows update for instance). I always open notepads everywhere and forget to save the stuff, or just forget where it has gone... So if I removed some code and put it there, I may be unable to inject it back later if needed for any reason.
Maybe I should simply not work like that. But anyway I push this as a very humble suggestion if you think it's useful :)
Hi Tourist Trap, WinFBE already has a feature like you describe. "View", "View Output Window" or Ctrl+F9. Then, click on the "Notes" tab.
Notes are stored between sessions. If a Project is open then those notes are stored with the specific open project.
jj2007

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (Updated January 22, 2019)

Post by jj2007 »

Code: Select all

#if 0
	Hi Tourist Trap,
	This is a simple way to write notes directly
	into your FreeBasic program.
#endif
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

PaulSquires wrote: WinFBE already has a feature like you describe. "View", "View Output Window" or Ctrl+F9. Then, click on the "Notes" tab.
Thanks, I knew there was some feature related to TODO lists, but never noticed that one.
jj2007 wrote:

Code: Select all

#if 0
	Hi Tourist Trap,
	This is a simple way to write notes directly
	into your FreeBasic program.
#endif
Great tip! At least I can fold such a bloc everytimes. The commented blocs sometimes fold, other times don't. Thanks :)
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

PaulSquires wrote:Pretty large update
Half a GigaByte, so "pretty large" is a pretty big understatement. Looks good, though - compliments ;-)
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

jj2007 wrote:
PaulSquires wrote:Pretty large update
Half a GigaByte,...
Huh? Half a GigaByte? What in the world are you downloading? WinFBE exe itself is only a little more than 1 MB. The entire WinFBE package including 32 and 64 editor, full FreeBasic compiler, GCC, Includes, etc is only a little more than 60 MB.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

OK, I exaggerated a bit. But extracting the archive leads to a WinFBE_Suite folder with 308,722,706 bytes.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

jj2007 wrote:OK, I exaggerated a bit. But extracting the archive leads to a WinFBE_Suite folder with 308,722,706 bytes.
Lol, no worries, I was just a little confused :-) (I was thinking of the download size rather than the extracted size)

The WinFBE Editor and support files, example, Help are about 49 MB.... the rest of the extracted files about 250 MB would be the FB compiler, GCC, and include files that I include in the package in order to make the WinFBE an all-in-one suite to help users get up and running with minimal effort.

Oh, and I didn't thank you earlier for the compliment. I appreciate that - thanks!
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

WinFBE Version 1.9.0

There is only one thing that I can say about that and that is WOW!

In the Compiler Setup form, we have, out of the box:-

giving us the latest FB 1.06 and gcc 8.1.

gcc 8.1 is fairly stable but I do have examples where a compilation fails. I played around with gcc 7.3 and that will work, sometimes, when 8.1 misbehaves. However, gcc 7.3 also has its moments and I gave up on that.

When the later versions of gcc 'play up' the likelihood is that gcc 5.2 will come to our rescue. To this end I have a duplicate of the WinFBE 1.9.0 package but with the Compiler Setup as:-

giving us FB 1.05 and gcc 5.2 where the 32bit compiler would be as installed and the 64bit compiler would be as downloaded.

Compiling via this setup, in 32bit, I get 'FreeBASIC Compiler - Version 1.05.0 (01-31-2016), built for win32 (32bit)' in the Compiler Log File.

I have two shortcuts in my Start Menu, WinFBE6452 and WinFBE6481, both pointing to the respective 64bit versions of WinFBE.

Now, what would be nice would be a Compiler Setup where we can switch between 1.06/8.1 and 1.05/5.2 making the duplicate package redundant. One of those two should be made default.

Not only would this feature be handy when gcc 8.1 'plays up' it would also satisfy those die-hard members who refuse, point blank, to use FB 1.06/8.1; they can make 1.05/5.2 the default setup.

Food for thought, Paul?
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Thanks for the interesting food for thought. I am not overly fond of rejigging the Environment Options to add such a capability that will introduce unnecessary complexity for the niche number of users who would need to swap out new/old FBC and GCC versions. Having said that, and not to sound to unsympathetic, I believe that such a capability may be gained through a User Tool that directly modifies the WinFBE ini file to change the compilers to the paths that you require. Also, there is no need to download/install the entire WinFBE_Suite package. The "Source code (zip)" download in Releases contains the bare bones editor files without the FBC compiler or GCC.

I think the User Tool route is do-able. Create a program that reads the WinFBE.ini (which is a unicode UTF16 BOM file) file and replace the compile paths as needed. Save the new WinFBE.ini file, and then simply restart WinFBE. This way you can one WinFBE editor install and as many FBC/GCC installs as you wish.

....and I don't understand why any FB programmer would not want to use the latest 1.06 version. This is open source software... bugs are fixed daily, why not use the latest version with the most up to date bug fixes. Doesn't make sense to me to use a two year version just because it is an "official" release somehow implying that it is some sort of stable version and the 1.06 versions are unstable. I would like to hear the counter arguments because maybe I'm missing something here?
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

On second thought, maybe the User Tools option would not work because when WinFBE is closed the config file would be overwritten with the active config information in memory.

So.... a better approach maybe to create a launcher program that modifies the winfbe.ini file first, and then loads the applicable WinFBE exe. Yeah, that makes more sense.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

PaulSquires wrote:I am not overly fond of rejigging the Environment Options ...
OK.
So.... a better approach maybe to create a launcher program that modifies the winfbe.ini file first, and then loads the applicable WinFBE exe.
I like that idea and will do that.
....and I don't understand why ...
Neither do I - you are preaching to the converted.
Doesn't make sense to me to use a two year version...
In four days time it will be a three year version!
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Yours truly wrote:I like that idea and will do that.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

Hi PaulSquires ,

Hope you're fine. I downloaded the last version you posted here, but I won't be using it (and then unzip it) for now because I tend to never close open files under work until the job currently in progress has reached an end. However I have a question. Did you make a compile of the last FB1.06, and joined it as a complete release in this package? I never paid attention to this furniture, even in the previous versions because I had already something on the disk. But I'm in search of another release, some stuff is missing from mines.

Thanks.

Edit: ok I have my answers, the version you provide of FB1.06 is good and well :)
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

It seems that we can no more move a tab in the last version ?
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Tourist Trap wrote:It seems that we can no more move a tab in the last version ?
Hi, check the changes.txt

- Changed: You must now hold down the SHIFT key to drag and drop tabs in the top tab control to reorder any open document tabs.

The editor is obviously a work in progress so some things may evolve and change over time.