reading random access files

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
dcouzin

reading random access files

Post by dcouzin »

I wrote these three lines in QuickBASIC many years ago:
  • open "list"+left$(s$(si+4),4)+".csv" as #2 len=4
    field #2, 4 as pk$
    GET #2, 100
Don't worry about the first line. It's the next two lines that the FB compiler, even with option '-lang qb', rejects, giving these two reasons:
  • error 4: Duplicated definition, field
    error 16: Expected ','
So FB (even with option '-lang qb') does not read random access files the way QB did. How can I rewrite the two lines so the old program compiles?

Thanks.
DC
Tourist Trap

Re: reading random access files

Post by Tourist Trap »

dcouzin wrote: field #2, 4 as pk$
Hello DC,

what I see first is that FIELD is a keyword so you must write #undef field to get rid of it. It's only needed with Unions:
Specifies field alignment.
Syntax
Type|Union typename Field = { 1 | 2 | 4 }
End Type|Union
Hope it helps?
fxm

Post by fxm »

In FB, FIELD statement (for record definition at runtime) has been left aside. The keyword FIELD is used in FB to specify field alignment in Type variables.
To define fields in a file buffer, TYPE(s) must be used.
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

The Field statement proved difficult to replicate in FB, so unfortunately it's not supported.
I'm not an expert in Field, but it looks like it just takes all 4 bytes of the record, and put it into pk$.

So something like this might work:

Code: Select all

open "list"+left$(s$(si+4),4)+".csv" as #2 len=4
pk$ = space$(4)
GET #2, 100, pk$
(I'm not that comfortable with Random mode though, so I'll post what is probably the equivalent in Binary mode):

open "list"+left$(s$(si+4),4)+".csv" for binary as #2
pk$ = space$(4)
GET #2, 99*4+1, pk$
Munair

Post by Munair »

As most programming languages these days do not support random access files (fixed length records), I replicated this using a binary stream object several years ago in Real Basic as a means of providing a simple and fast database where fixed records are sufficient. I haven't got around to translating it to FB yet and I didn't feel the need as FB supports random access files natively. Perhaps I will do a port after all.
dcouzin

Post by dcouzin »

counting_pine's suggestion worked perfectly! Correct answers appear, and extremely fast.

I made much use of random access files in QB. In this case the records are single-precision (4-byte) floats and the file contains over 600,000 of them. For numerical approximation programs of this type, running on PCs of the 1990s, the random access file was necessary.

Since

open "file.csv" as #2 len=4
pk$ = space$(4)
GET #2, 100, pk$

does in FB exactly what

open "file.csv" as #2 len=4
field #2, 4 as pk$
GET #2, 100

did in QB, I hope this, with suitable generalization but understandable by QB people, can be added to the FB documentation.

Thanks much,
DC
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

fxm

Post by fxm »

dcouzin wrote:I hope this, with suitable generalization but understandable by QB people, can be added to the FB documentation.
I think that for a string, it is well explained (description + examples) on the page of the documentation on 'GET # (File I/O)' that we must provide a string 's' well sized to the size 'N' desired (because 'amount' is not allowed):
- either by 'Dim As String * N s',
- either by 'Dim As W/Zstring * N+1 s',
- or by 'Dim As String s' and 's = String (N, 0)' for example.
If we provide 'Get #' with a dereferenced [W/Z]String pointer, as the compiler can not guess the desired 'N' number of elements, the referenced buffer must begin with 'N' nonzero elements.
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

Yeah. I'm reluctant to encourage the use of fixed-length or null-terminated strings here though, because their lengths aren't particularly well-defined in this context.
fxm

Post by fxm »

I simply detailed all the different syntactical possibilities with strings, without wearing judgment or advice.