Problem when using GetWindowPos (screencontrol) without a sleep after SetWindowPos

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
Tourist Trap

Problem when using GetWindowPos (screencontrol) without a sleep after SetWindowPos

Post by Tourist Trap »

Hello,

I'm a little confused by this behaviour that may be a bug of the 1.06 or something caused by win10.

Code: Select all

#include "fbgfx.bi"
screenres 600,400
screencontrol fb.set_window_pos, 100, 400
'sleep 1000
screencontrol fb.set_window_pos, 333, 222

dim as integer x, y
screencontrol fb.get_window_pos, x, y
? x, y
It's a minimalistic version of my code. For me, without the sleep I don't get the new position.

Thanks
badidea

Re: Problem when using GetWindowPos (screencontrol) without a sleep after SetWindowPos

Post by badidea »

Not sure what happens on your system, but probably the same issue here (linux, fbc 1.0.5 32 bit & 64 bit):
screencontrol fb.set_window_pos, 333, 222 sometimes works, sometimes is does not (without the sleep 1000).
Also the first set(screencontrol fb.set_window_pos, 100, 400) fails, with screen ending top-left corner.
After each screencontrol fb.set_window_pos a sleep of ~10 ms is needed here.
I guess some (internal) graphics update is needed before the window is actually moved.

This does seem to work ok here:

#include "fbgfx.bi"
screenres 600,400
screensync
screencontrol fb.set_window_pos, 333, 222
screensync
dim as integer x, y
? x, y
sleep
Last edited by badidea on Dec 29, 2018 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
Tourist Trap

Re: Problem when using GetWindowPos (screencontrol) without a sleep after SetWindowPos

Post by Tourist Trap »

badidea wrote:Not sure what happens on your system, but probably the same issue here (linux, fbc 1.0.5 32 bit & 64 bit):
screencontrol fb.set_window_pos, 333, 222 sometimes works, sometimes is does not (without the sleep 1000).
Also the first set(screencontrol fb.set_window_pos, 100, 400) fails, with screen ending top-left corner.
For now, here, the setwindowpos of screencontrol works. But the get fails. If I put a sleep, the get returns the correct newest value. Anyway my windows move, and this is very disappointing that for you its worse. I never noticed this before.
I'm working at my contest game so it's critical ahah!
badidea

Post by badidea »

Tourist Trap wrote:I'm working at my contest game so it's critical ahah!
No stress, there is nearly always a solution or workaround. One suggestion added to previous post.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

badidea wrote:
Tourist Trap wrote:I'm working at my contest game so it's critical ahah!
No stress, there is nearly always a solution or workaround. One suggestion added to previous post.
I think I'll need more than a workaround to deliver something. I'm in one of those period where I do everything slowly with no inspiration... It's more about the participation award anyway. I think I've enough knowledge to deliver something, which (just finishing) is challenging enough at my level :)

Another stone in the shoe, I used to do music with Bigboss6 a very old shareware that is really easy to use. But there is a core component in it that just can't run in 64bits. I'll have to find something else.
badidea

Post by badidea »

This code make the program hang here (most of the time):

#include "fbgfx.bi"
screenres 600,400
'screensync '<-- test
dim as integer x, y
while not (x = 100 and y = 400)
	sleep 1
wend
? x, y
sleep
screensync seems to fix it
badidea

Post by badidea »

Tourist Trap wrote:I think I'll need more than a workaround to deliver something. I'm in one of those period where I do everything slowly with no inspiration... It's more about the participation award anyway. I think I've enough knowledge to deliver something, which (just finishing) is challenging enough at my level :)
Still working on the game engine here :-)
Tourist Trap wrote:Another stone in the shoe, I used to do music with Bigboss6 a very old shareware that is really easy to use. But there is a core component in it that just can't run in 64bits. I'll have to find something else.
I haven't even thought about music. I normally turn it off anyway in a game :-)
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

Screensync fixes my initial issue casually (50% of the time). Not clear what it does in depth.
badidea wrote: Still working on the game engine here :-)
I personally have no real engine, I will base everything on animated sprites. I don't know if it won't be playable at all.
badidea wrote: I haven't even thought about music. I normally turn it off anyway in a game :-)
The music is rated if I read well. A software like Bigboss was just a keyboard with different instruments, including laser buzz, or organons. That gives easily funny effects. I'll try to find something else on sourceforge.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

Perhaps sleep the refresh rate.
Gives me 100% here.

#include "fbgfx.bi"

screenres 600,400

dim as integer refreshrate
screencontrol  fb.set_window_pos, 100, 400
screeninfo ,,,,,refreshrate
sleep refreshrate

dim as integer x, y

screencontrol  fb.get_window_pos, x, y
print x,y,refreshrate
sleep

badidea

Post by badidea »

dodicat wrote:Perhaps sleep the refresh rate.
Gives me 100% here.
There is no logic in that. Refresh rate seems to be in Hz (1/s), sleep is in ms (1000 / Hz).

Another suggestion. Keep setting window position until successful:

#include "fbgfx.bi"

dim as integer x, y
screenres 600,400,32
do
	print x, y
	sleep 1
loop until x = 100 and y = 400
sleep
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

Perhaps 1000/refreshrate is more logical and it seems to work.
The idea would be to sleep for at least one frame to wait for fbgfx to return the new values.

edit
This only seems to work if the sleep resolution is 1 millisecond.
badidea

Post by badidea »

The behavior is a bit weird. This code:

#include "fbgfx.bi"

dim as integer x, y
screenres 600,400,32
print "set window at 100, 400"
do
	print x, y
	sleep 1
loop until x = 100 and y = 400
print "set window at 300, 300"
do
	screencontrol  fb.set_window_pos, 300, 300
	print x, y
	sleep 1
loop until x = 300 and y = 300
print "Done"
sleep
Can produce the following here:
Especially the position (9, 113) on the second set window position is weird.
Results differ each time. E.g. another run gives:
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

You know a Window managers works event driven and you should know the fbgfx thread run's (by default at 60 Hz) in the background also.

So imagine your self what happens if you call set window position followed by a get window position without Sleep() !

Is it save in all cases without a call to Sleep() between this two calls ?

Do you tried Screencontroll with POLL_EVENTS between both calls ?

Do you tried to disable the 60Hz thread before ?

test 1:
set window position
screencontroll POLL_EVENTS
get window position

test 2:
set window position
screenlock : screenunlock
get window position

test 3:
set window position
sleep 500,1
get window position

test 4: (combine test 1 and test 2)
set window position
get window position

Joshy
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

[quote="D.J.Peters]
Do you tried to disable the 60Hz thread before ?

test 1: NOK
set window position
get window position

test 2: NOK
set window position
get window position

test 3: OK
set window position
sleep 500,1
get window position

test 4: (combine test 1 and test 2) NOK
set window position
get window position
How to disable 60hz constraint?

For now the sleep goes ok. About what value is necessary for the sleep at minimum, dodicat might well have answered even if I don't know how to force the sleep resolution.
The polling until success by badiea is quite a good idea too.

What surprises me is that, if Setscreenpos (screencontrol) doesn't retun any error, then FB should know it and is able to assign the good values by advance to Getscreenpos. Or otherwise the behaviour would have to be documented, screencontrol being here not perfectly consistent from the simplest user view.
badidea

Post by badidea »

I also tried screencontroll POLL_EVENTS and screenlock : screenunlock without success.
It seems that both set window position and get window position can fail or return wrong results.
Last edited by badidea on Dec 30, 2018 12:55, edited 1 time in total.