Nominations for Forum Moderators

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

The FreeBASIC development team is looking for two upstanding community members to become forum moderators here in the FreeBASIC Forum.

If you would like to help our community by being a forum moderator, or if you know someone that would be well suited for the moderator role, you can nominate yourself and/or nominate them in this thread.

The moderator's job will be to help take responsibility for the community of users, developers, and participants here, to help maintain order and peace, and to help the on-line community thrive, as a place where we can share ideas and projects, and help people out.

An important part of this role will be to help define the rules around how the forums function, and how people create and contribute to threads, and when/how those rules should be enforced. The forum administrators will be there to offer guidance and make any final decisions. The forum administrators are currently: counting_pine, coderJeff, dkl, v1ctor.

How to participate:

This is the nomination thread. Nominations and acceptances may be posted here.

1) Members having at least one year of membership in freebasic.net forums, based on the date of their oldest post, can nominate another member, be nominated, or become a candidate for the moderator role by accepting a seconded nomination.
2) members may nominate themselves for the moderator role, i.e. volunteer, by posting here to show their interest
3) nomination must be seconded by another forum member. To second a nomination, also post in this thread.
4) if you have been nominated, and the nomination seconded, you may accept the nomination by posting that you accept, in this thread. By accepting the nomination, you become a candidate for forum moderator.
5) in the accepting post, candidates should include a statement describing their views and attitudes towards forum moderation

If we have more than two candidates, there will be a voting thread:
6) voting will be conducted with a forum poll
7) voting will be open for 14 days
8) the 2 candidates receiving the most votes will be the elected moderators

The elected candidates will be installed as forum moderators, subject to the final agreement of the administration team. There will be a six month provisional term for new moderators. We are trying something new here, and this is mainly to allow them to exit on good terms, in case things are not working out, for whatever reason.

We will try to answer questions here if needed. Even though we have a few ideas for possible first tasks, we would really like the new moderators to take the lead on next steps in the forums.

Please post nominations and acceptances here. Thanks!
srvaldez

Re: Nominations for Forum Moderators

Post by srvaldez »

I nominate Josep Roca and paul doe
dafhi

Post by dafhi »

i nominate srvaldez, ST_W
Last edited by dafhi on Nov 26, 2018 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

I volunteer.
Munair

Post by Munair »

I nominate St_W
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

If somebody nominates a member and you are vehemently opposed to this this choice, can this be voiced?
But, for the record, I second Imortis.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

@dodicat, you are a keen observer to scrutinize that there is no opportunity in this process to formally endorse or protest a candidate or potential candidate though general discussion or debate. We think this process will be fair, and currently the positions are open to anyone. I hope that we have enough candidates that this goes to a vote and that the number of voters are many. I would really like to encourage members to make up their own mind to make good choices based on their own experiences rather than let others influence them. Described another way, I am willing to gamble that this process provides a positive outcome and failure is not a consideration at this time.

@all, I notice now that we have not put a time limit on the nomination & acceptance process. 2 weeks from the initial post sounds about right. At the end of two weeks I will post a summary of the progress, allow any potential candidates to accept, post their statement, and we will move on to the vote if there are more than 2 candidates (I hope!).
TJF

Post by TJF »

Nomination: fxm
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

@coderJeff,

this thread, should be moved to News section for visibility to all, as well as to NOT
be always hidden again, by newer posts in Community Discussion section.
(the typical drawbacks, of a 'open' Forum)
Last edited by MrSwiss on Nov 27, 2018 11:53, edited 1 time in total.
St_W

Post by St_W »

Although I'm unsure whether they'd all accept, I'd nominate (or second the nomination for) fxm, PaulSquires, Imortis.
(is there a limit on nominations-per-person?)
TJF

Post by TJF »

Some more nominations:
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

Nomination: Imortis
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Nominations:
fxm
Imortis
St_W
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

Hi all,

my nominations would be:
fxm
St_W
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Indeed, I think Imortis will do a very good gob as moderator. Fxm too, if he's also willing to accept (Imortis already volunteered).