Help required in initialising FreeBASIC

DOS specific questions.
bmurphy_9

Help required in initialising FreeBASIC

Post by bmurphy_9 »

I have to be considered a rank beginner as I have not looked at the BASIC programming language since the mid-1970's.
I have decided to jump in off the deep end and have downloaded and installed FreeBASIC V1.05.0 and FBIde0.4.6r4.
Both apps have been installed in the one folder titled FreeBASIC in C:/Program Files (X86) on a Toshiba laptop running Windows 10.
I have set up a small, simple test file named TEST 1 in sub-folder FBIde0.4.6r4 which consists of 7 lines of code (TEST 1.bas).
Where do I place this file and how do I get it to compile and run, especially initialising the PATH command. My knowledge of the basic command line commands needed to do this is sadly lacking at the present time. A simple question for the experienced and hopefully an answer will at least get me off and running in the use of FreeBASIC.
St_W

Re: Help required in initialising FreeBASIC

Post by St_W »

Hi,

for general info on running FreeBasic see:
https://freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14903

for recommended settings for FbIde see:
https://freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19950

Once you've set up your IDE you can just open your .bas file and hit the compile button followed by the run button (if your code compiled successfully).
Just make sure that you put your .bas file in a folder where you have write access (don't use e.g. C:\Program Files, etc. where only elevated applications can write to).
badidea

Re: Help required in initialising FreeBASIC

Post by badidea »

bmurphy_9 wrote:I have to be considered a rank beginner as I have not looked at the BASIC programming language since the mid-1970's.
I have decided to jump in off the deep end and have downloaded and installed FreeBASIC V1.05.0 and FBIde0.4.6r4.
Welcome! Sound like another one retired form work and returning to an old hobby? (there are several of those around here)