"A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
BasicCoder2

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Jan 2019), 300 $ 1st prize

Post by BasicCoder2 »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:BasicCoder2, your idea sounds very cool. Hope you can flesh it out.
The game was just going to be a simple platform game with a simple FB back ground story, no dialogue or multipaths as such. Essentially an attempt at a platform game with the FB theme as an extra. I am stalled at the moment but hopefully will get back to it when the mood is right.
grindstone

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Jan 2019), 300 $ 1st prize

Post by grindstone »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:But I'm curious how you can combine it with the competition theme.
Sorry, but I don't understand this remark. The competition theme is writing a game with FB, and that program is a game, written with FB. Or am I missing something?
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Competition rules:
* the entry must reference FreeBASIC in some way, the FreeBASIC community, or its members (it can be more or less related to gameplay, a backdrop, a vague theme, you can toy with the horse mascot for example, make a cyberpunk RPG where you hack using FB, you name it, …)
* the entry must be compiled in FreeBASIC
You are mixing two separate rules.
Pitto

Post by Pitto »

@Lachie
May I use small portions of libraries developed by other users?
I.e. I wish use the imagescaler by D.J. Peters (that I've used in FBLow Poly Editor) and the Joystick control routine developed by JeffCoder (that I've used in Jasc Soccer). I think these library will enhance the overall gameplay.
Obviously these authors will be credited.
Last edited by Pitto on Oct 18, 2018 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
Lachie Dazdarian

Of course. You are even encouraged to do so.
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

@Lachie Dazdarian:
You're right, I missed the "reference" rule. Now I'm curious, too. <grin> My kingdom for a horse!
IchMagBier

Post by IchMagBier »

Oh wow, how did I miss this thread?

I love the idea of programming contests. I have some questions though.
  • Are there any restrictions on the coding style? OOP, GOTO, language of comments etc.
  • Is inline-ASM allowed?
  • Does it have to compile on Win and/or Linux (or DOS)?
  • Am I allowed to use macros to alter the syntax?
I have a great idea for a coding-game, I even wrote a JIT-Compiler in FreeBasic like a year ago, but never finished it.
Not sure if I can finish it until January though, I am kinda busy with another project. But I will try!
Lachie Dazdarian

Everything you mentioned is allowed. I would prefer that the entries are compilable in Windows. Otherwise, I'll have problems actually testing them.

I like beer too.
IchMagBier

Post by IchMagBier »

Awesome, would take me too long to translate my compiler to English. Windows shouldn't be a problem, since I try to stick with the rtlib, unless I do network or 3D-stuff.
I like beer too.
I was working in Croatia a few years ago and we drank a lot of "Vukovarsk". You got some nice beer over there.
anonymous1337

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Jan 2019), 250 $ 1st prize

Post by anonymous1337 »

Pete wrote:I'm really glad that this competition is growing traction!

Should I do a special edition "FINAL" issue of QB Express to commemorate it? Would anyone be interested in writing something?

Also, I would like to contribute an additional $100 into the winner's pot. (PayPal, Lachie?) I won't have time to code anything for this, but I'm happy to root for all the participants. :)
I will be writing. Might want to suggest others write in their "story" as well though. A lot of us have stories to share. I'm sure story submissions to you will be a common theme.
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Everything you mentioned is allowed. I would prefer that the entries are compilable in Windows. Otherwise, I'll have problems actually testing them.
Would you be so kind as to provide the testing machine(s) specs? The things I would be most interested in would be your Win version (32 or 64 bit), and your GPU specs (which version of GLSL supports, at minimum). Thanks in advance.
Pitto

Post by Pitto »

Hi, Victor begins his journey. I'm currently working on the level editor.

paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Pitto wrote:Hi, Victor begins his journey. I'm currently working on the level editor.
Nice! I also like the low-poly look, and your idea screamed 'platform game' ;)
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

Pitto wrote:Hi, Victor begins his journey. I'm currently working on the level editor.
So its going to be a platform game?

Although I don't know if I can weave the FreeBASIC theme into the game I have begun writing a platform game as well as I consider that to be the easiest format for a lone programmer.
Last edited by BasicCoder2 on Nov 02, 2018 0:02, edited 1 time in total.