gcc 5.2 vs gcc 8.1

Windows specific questions.
deltarho[1859]

Re: gcc 5.2 vs gcc 8.1

Post by deltarho[1859] »

FORGET gcc 7.3

I have been hammering it today and got a few 'libbacktrace could not find executable to open' with 64-bit.

It is a gcc bug. It actually appeared in gcc 4.8.1 and got fixed in 4.8.2. It seems to be related to multi-core compilation. The worst thing is it doesn't seem possible to guess whether a compilation will be successful or not and, of course, they are the best bugs, aren't they? <laugh>

I have just had to buy 8.1 a box of chocalates otherwise it wan't going to work either. <smile>
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

hello St_W
I tested your FB distribution, packaged in WinFBE by Paul Squires https://github.com/PaulSquires/WinFBE/releases
the test I run was to make a simple lib, remember fbc x64 compile to lib anomalies?
it fails to build a valid lib, so I would like to replace the gcc toolchain with MinGW-W64 GCC-6.4.0
would you please list the files that I would have to replace?
for starters I would replace ar.exe, as.exe ld.exe, dlltool.exe, gcc.exe and the FreeBASIC-1.06.0\bin\libexec\gcc\x86_64-w64-mingw32 folder and in lib/win64 I would replace libgcc.a, crtbegin.o and crtend.o
anything else?
as a matter of fact, I did the above replacements for win64 and the library and test program compiled and run OK, I just need to know if I am missing something.
thanks in advance
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

I think I did it, all that was needed was to replace the tools, there does not seem to be a problem keeping the libs
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

spoke too soon, it fails to compile the program listed here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27125
St_W, please continue your nightly builds as they currently are, that is not merged and with gcc-4.8.2
because that package works without problems.
thank you for providing the nightly builds :-)
St_W

Post by St_W »

srvaldez wrote:would you please list the files that I would have to replace?
The files are listed on the following wiki page: https://freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php?wa ... ildWindows where it says "To complete this new FB setup" ...
I planned to switch the gcc version for my nightly builds to the one used for the official 1.06 release (whenever that will be released). The packages with newer gcc versions are unfortunately not tested that much and obviously cause some issues sometimes.

I'll set up the FB's test suite to run also for the new gcc version this weekend. And I'll try to reproduce the issues you're facing, but I couldn't the last time I tried as far as I remember.