Qemu on win7?

Linux specific questions.
aurelVZAB

Qemu on win7?

Post by aurelVZAB »

I need help if is not problem .
Which version of qemu i need and how to run qemu on win7?
jj2007

Re: Qemu on win7?

Post by jj2007 »

Hi Aurel,
Googling "qemu" windows 7 yields lots of results but it seems most of them treat it the other way round: Win7 on Qemu. What are your intentions here?
St_W

Post by St_W »

Just download it from https://www.qemu.org/download/#windows and install it. If you use a 64-bit Windows (most likely) use the 64-bit version, otherwise use the 32-bit version.
After installation you have a lot of qemu executables for various different CPU architectures. Choose the one you want to emulate. That has to be compatible with the system image you want to emulate, of course.
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

Hi JJ

I need qemu to avoid puting linux distros on usb stick
i am interested in tinycore forking.
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

hi st_w
I found it but which one to use
i download latest release and win7 tells me that it is not proper win32 app?
how to know which one work ?
any tip?
caseih

Post by caseih »

If it were me I'd just use VirtualBox and be done with it. It's completely free, and it's faster than Qemu in my opinion (don't think Qemu supports CPU native virtualization). There's a free (but not open source) add-on to give virtual machines USB support if you need that.
St_W

Post by St_W »

aurelVZAB wrote:i download latest release and win7 tells me that it is not proper win32 app?
hm, there are multiple options that could trigger that message. Make sure that the architecture of Qemu and your OS match (so e.g. both 32-bit or both 64-bit; 32-bit qemu on 64-bit Windows should work too) and that you do not have any missing and/or invalid (e.g. wrong architecture) dependencies (required DLLs) installed. Maybe you need to install some runtime libraries first. http://www.dependencywalker.com/ can tell you about module dependencies.

In general I'd also suggest to use VirtualBox instead - it's easier to use. But it's not portable, if that's a strict requirement for you. In fact, the virtual machines are, but VirtualBox needs to be installed on every system where you want to use them.
rugxulo

Post by rugxulo »

aurelVZAB wrote:i download latest release and win7 tells me that it is not proper win32 app?
how to know which one work ?
any tip?
86 MB download: https://qemu.weilnetz.de/w32/qemu-w32-s ... 180815.exe

It's an installer, and you can choose to NOT install all arches (so, only install i386 and/or amd64 if you don't want others, which I never do). IIRC, I installed the 32-bit one on my laptop but only the 64-bit one on my desktop. Both seem to work fine (even if both computers run Win7 64-bit). But, unlike VirtualBox, you'll have to separately download the 64-bit hosted version (installer), if you're so inclined. The above is 32-bit (since you seem to imply that's the specific one you're forced to use here).
rugxulo

Post by rugxulo »

caseih wrote:If it were me I'd just use VirtualBox and be done with it. It's completely free, and it's faster than Qemu in my opinion (don't think Qemu supports CPU native virtualization).
QEMU has virtualization support, but it's usually called KVM there (or QEMU/KVM). Although I'm not sure if the Windows binaries support that feature, but for "normal" average use, it's fast enough already. Yes, VBox (with VT-X enabled) is quite speedy, too, but I believe QEMU/KVM is often noticeably faster (well, at least VBox/Win7 vs. QEMU/KVM on Linux, in my wimpy tests, but no it definitely wasn't NTFS' fault).

FYI, AFAIK, VBox is not "Free/libre" (anymore? since 4.1?) due to requiring OpenWatcom to build the BIOS. I think Debian hates that and doesn't even bother anymore (although FSF calls Debian non-free, too). I know that's a bit pedantic, but saying "completely free" is a bit misleading. "Gratis", no cost, yes.
caseih

Post by caseih »

But KVM is Linux only (it's a kernel module). The original poster is asking about running on Windows, so KVM isn't an option there. Without KVM, I think Qemu on Windows would be pretty slow.

And I am pretty sure the OP is interested in "free" as in cost, as opposed to wanting to compile it himself. VirtualBox would fill his needs nicely.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

caseih wrote:If it were me I'd just use VirtualBox and be done with it. It's completely free, and it's faster than
Correct, VBox is pretty fast, more or less like native Windows. The main problem here is that you still need a valid Windows license of the guest OS, e.g. for the 32-bit version of Windows 7. To be bought somewhere on the web...
caseih

Post by caseih »

jj2007 wrote:Correct, VBox is pretty fast, more or less like native Windows. The main problem here is that you still need a valid Windows license of the guest OS, e.g. for the 32-bit version of Windows 7. To be bought somewhere on the web...
You're laboring under some misapprehension of what's being talked about here. VirtualBox is a virtual machine that can run any OS, on top of many different OS's. Why are you talking about Windows licenses? You are of course correct that any use of Windows inside the virtual machine (VirtualBox or QEmu) requires a license, although Windows 10 can run indefinitely in an unactivated testing state which is really helpful.

But this isn't what we're talking about here. The OP doesn't need a Windows license for the vm. He wants to run Linux inside a virtual machine on his Windows 7 32-bit desktop. This is what he's trying to accomplish with QEmu, which is a great emulator. But my point is VirtualBox is probably a better solution for him. He can run Linux inside VirtualBox with no issues. I daresay VirtualBox is probably used at least as much for running Linux on Windows as it is used by folks going the other way around.
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

Yo Guys
Yes i download VirtualBox and let say work fine on my win32 win7
and yes it is faster than qemu but cannot run every linux distro- i mean tinyCore based what is really strange
for example it can run our member created distro called Minux and run it really fast but some other
including xiaopan can't and what a heck some other not run too...what is really strange to me .
in fact bast wy to try linu distro is still boot it from iso from usb or Cd/dvd and not in virtual machine
Coolman

Post by Coolman »

Vmplayer
nimdays

Post by nimdays »

I use Qemu Manager 7