WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.1.0 June 4, 2023)

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
fxm

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (Updated August 26, 2018)

Post by fxm »

When there is only compile warning(s), the exe file is always created, but the menus "Build And Execute" and "Quick Run" do not launch the compiled code execution.
Example of code with pointer warning:

Code: Select all

Sub s ()
End Sub

Dim As Integer Ptr p = @s
Print p

Sleep
PaulSquires

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (Updated August 26, 2018)

Post by PaulSquires »

Thanks fxm, right you are. If only warnings exist then the resulting exe should be able to be launched. I will modify the code.
PaulSquires

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (Updated August 27, 2018)

Post by PaulSquires »

Version 1.7.7 (August 27, 2018)
- Added: Merged pull request from skyfish4tb for additional top tab control closing options. Thanks!
- Added: OptionButton and Frame codetips.
- Added: Form Initialize event.
- Changed: Control refresh/repaint called when Text property changed.
- Fixed: Regression: Ctrl/Shift Arrow keys not moving/resizing controls in designer.
- Fixed: Regression: GPF when ListBox row selection changed.
- Fixed: Compiles with only warnings (no errors) will now allow the resulting EXE to execute.

https://github.com/PaulSquires/WinFBE/releases
fxm

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (Updated August 27, 2018)

Post by fxm »

Just a small remark:
When compiling with warning(s), the "Compiler Results" window is not displayed (only displayed when there is no warning).
Is this wanted?
cliff

Post by cliff »

Hi there, I've noticed a minor bug with the Compiler Results tab in the Output Window at the bottom of the main WinFBE window. If the path to the .bas file being compiled includes a left parenthesis, the Line and File fields will contain incorrect information when the program contains errors. For example, make a new file named "example (text).bas", write a line of code that will cause an error, compile, then check the Compiler Results tab. Then try again with the file named "example (text.bas".
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

fxm wrote:Just a small remark:
When compiling with warning(s), the "Compiler Results" window is not displayed (only displayed when there is no warning).
Is this wanted?
Hi fxm,

With the new WinFBE version 1.7.7, the behaviour should be that if you compile source (like you provided below), then the "Compiler Results" listview should pop open at the bottom of the screen showing Line 4, the filename, and a Description of "warning 4(1): Suspicious pointer assignment". (with the "Hide successful compile results message" option Checked). This behaviour happens for me every time I compile the source below.

The "Compiler Results" listview should always display whenever there are Warnings and/or Errors. The only time that it should *not* display is if there are zero warnings and zero errors.

When the "Hide successful compile results message" option is Unchecked, then the popup MessageBox will only display if there are if there are zero warnings and zero errors. If there is only warnings, then the messagebox will not display but the "Compiler Results" listview will display *and* the resulting EXE will be created and executed.

This is the intended behaviour and it appears to be the behaviour that I am seeing. Do you want to have a different approach to handling the warnings/errors? I am open to suggestions.

Code: Select all

Sub s ()
End Sub

Dim As Integer Ptr p = @s
Print p

Sleep
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

cliff wrote:Hi there, I've noticed a minor bug with the Compiler Results tab in the Output Window at the bottom of the main WinFBE window. If the path to the .bas file being compiled includes a left parenthesis, the Line and File fields will contain incorrect information when the program contains errors. For example, make a new file named "example (text).bas", write a line of code that will cause an error, compile, then check the Compiler Results tab. Then try again with the file named "example (text.bas".
Thanks cliff, yes my parsing for the error message did not take into account embedded parenthesis in the file name. Thanks for pointing that out - I will try to get a fix for the next update.
fxm

Post by fxm »

Excuse me for my confused post, because what I named <<"Compiler Results" window>> is in fact what you name <<popup MessageBox>>! (same title for the two entities)
PaulSquires wrote:When the "Hide successful compile results message" option is Unchecked, then the popup MessageBox will only display if there are if there are zero warnings and zero errors. If there is only warnings, then the messagebox will not display but the "Compiler Results" listview will display *and* the resulting EXE will be created and executed.
What suprises me (with 'Quick Run' or 'Build And Execute' menu) is that:
- when there is no error neither warning, the user must click on the popup MessageBox to execute the program (pause if compile is perfect),
- when there is warning(s) the program starts immediately (no pause while there is compile warning).

I would intuitively prefer simply a "Hide successful compile results message (popup)" option.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

fxm wrote:- when there is no error neither warning, the user must click on the popup MessageBox to execute the program (pause if compile is perfect),
- when there is warning(s) the program starts immediately (no pause while there is compile warning).
Ah, yes, right you are. I will modify the code so that the popup messagebox *will show* in cases where only warnings exist (because technically in WinFBE's view, a compile with only warnings is "successful").
I would intuitively prefer simply a "Hide successful compile results message (popup)" option.
I agree. I have changed the English wording. All non-English language files will need to be modified as well.

(As an aside, I have started work on a very simple Language Editor in order to make creating and editing language files easier than having to do it via the individual text files. It also gives me another test application to try out WinFBE's visual designer code.)
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

PaulSquires wrote:... so that the popup messagebox *will show* in cases where only warnings exist
FB produces so many useless warnings (see this thread) that it would be nice to let the user decide if he wants to see the popup all the time or not.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

jj2007 wrote:
PaulSquires wrote:... so that the popup messagebox *will show* in cases where only warnings exist
FB produces so many useless warnings (see this thread) that it would be nice to let the user decide if he wants to see the popup all the time or not.
WinFBE already has an option that allows you to never show the popup compile messagebox (regardless of whether there are warnings, errors, or any combination thereof).
PaulSquires

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (Updated September 4, 2018)

Post by PaulSquires »

Version 1.7.8 (September 4, 2018)
- Added: Resulting file size of successful compiled EXE now shows in the status bar.
- Fixed: Compile error output not correctly parsed in cases where filenames contain embedded parenthesis.
- Fixed: Situation where editing property and switching to different control could cause the property value to transfer to that control incorrectly.
- Changed: FB 32/64 compilers updated to Sept 2, 2018, nightly build.
- Changed: GCC compiler updated to version 8.1.
- Changed: Merged both 32 and 64 bit FB compilers into one folder.
- Changed: Updated code (WinFBE, WinFormsX, WinFBX) to prevent warnings due to stricter CAST type checking in latest FB nightly build compiler.
- Changed: Successful compile popup messagebox will now display in cases where only compiler warnings (and no errors) exist.
- Changed: Environment option "Hide successful compile results message" changed to "Hide compile results message (popup)". Non-English language files will need to be updated.

https://github.com/PaulSquires/WinFBE/releases
deltarho[1859]

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (Updated September 4, 2018)

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Flaming heck, Paul!

If any update deserved to called V 2.0.0 that one did.

Wow!
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Lol, :-)
It is a bit of a change... although it does look like I failed to transfer the latest compiler and GCC 8.1 from my working copy to the WinFBE Suite upload rar package. I will upload a new release this evening with the latest files.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

PaulSquires wrote:although it does look like I failed to transfer the latest compiler and GCC 8.1
I didn't check - it would not occur to me. Yep, 26 June 2018 changelog.txt. I had a failed delivery from Amazon last week and had to sign an affidavit to get a replacement and now this. If I was younger I'd say "I need a drink". Actually, I still say it but with the medication that I am on, I am not allowed to. <laugh>