Tutorials?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
RNBW

Re: Tutorials?

Post by RNBW »

BasicCoder2 wrote:Sadly I can only read and understand English.
I would not let the lack of knowledge of German put you off visiting the German FreeBasic portal. It is absolutely full of good things, particularly tutorials. Use Google Translate or Bing Microsoft Translate to check out the text. In most cases the code is easily understandable being mainly English. You may only need to change the odd word.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

Imortis wrote:As a note: My Website is open for tutorials should anyone want somewhere to publish them.
My impression is that no one has any FreeBASIC tutorials to post anywhere anymore. How much FreeBasic coding activity is still going on beyond this forum is unclear to me. This forum seems to be sufficient for code snippets and to provide links to larger projects.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

RNBW wrote:I would not let the lack of knowledge of German put you off visiting the German FreeBasic portal.
It hasn't put me off. It has some interesting stuff but activity there seems to have died.
For my part I don't seem to have any interesting projects to work on anymore so unless something comes up to motivate me I probably won't be spending anymore time programming anything.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

I usually have something on the go but most, if not all of us, suffer from 'writer's cramp' now and again. When that happens I go to my 'To do list'. It is not really a 'To do list' but more of a 'Must get into list'. There are some aspect of FreeBASIC which I know little about but know that I will benefit from reading up on them and knocking out some code. In my case, there is one exception: graphics programming. In forty years of active programming, it never appealed. For many, cryptography does not appeal. We are all different.

So, BasicCoder2, if there is anything in FreeBASIC which you have meant to 'get into' but did not have the time then the time is now. Who knows you may find yourself saying: "Wow, I didn't think that I would be doing that a few weeks ago"

I should add that the more advanced we get into any programming language the less likely we are to be faced with a 'blank piece of paper' for any length of time. It seems to me that ideas are directly proportional to knowledge; in anything.
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

deltarho[1859] wrote:It seems to me that ideas are directly proportional to knowledge; in anything.
I fully agree. :-)

And anything else: When I rummage in some sources from 3 or 4 years ago I sometimes marvel: Was it really me who coded that??? And then I'm glad that I'm used to extensively comment my own code, so it's easy to relearn... <grin>
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

I remember a witty statement over at PowerBASIC: "I don't comment code - that is why it is called code"
grindstone wrote:so it's easy to relearn... <grin>
Absolutely, I comment much more for my future benefit than a reader's benefit today. If it is useful for them then all well and good.
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

deltarho[1859] wrote:"I don't comment code - that is why it is called code"
Added to my quotes collection :-)
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

deltarho[1859] wrote:For many, cryptography does not appeal. We are all different.
Probably if I had any math talent I would be into data mining and statistical analysis of data.
So, BasicCoder2, if there is anything in FreeBASIC which you have meant to 'get into' but did not have the time then the time is now.
Nope nothing in FreeBASIC itself that I wanted to 'get into'. It is more about a project that would require a program to solve.
Programming was essentially an offset of an interest in doing simple electronic projects and science in general and some mathematics was a requirement rather than an interest. As a youth I was fascinated by "thinking machines" and just had to understand how they worked whereas I think most professional programmers come to it via an interest and talent in mathematics. I am entirely self taught as I didn't earn my living in academia.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@BasicCoder2

I understand. Programming is a tool for your main interest. If your main interest goes through a quiet patch then so does the programming. In my case programming is a hobby in of itself so I can wander off into an area not ventured in before without actually having a need for it at the time.

We shall see you again when your next project comes to the surface. They have a habit of popping up when we least expect them, especially when, as in your case, "electronic projects and science in general" have been an interest for some years. You will read a blog one day and a project will rise from the page. In my case, reading the same blog, nothing would happen. <smile>