Sourceforge vs. GetHub Hosting

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
bcohio2001

Sourceforge vs. GetHub Hosting

Post by bcohio2001 »

I have not used any sort of code hosting service.
Just upload a 'zip' file to a general host and let people download.

From a developer's standpoint:
1. What are the pros / cons of each?
2. Which is easier to use for Window's user?
Last edited by bcohio2001 on Jul 22, 2018 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
Tourist Trap

Re: Sourceforge vs. GetHub

Post by Tourist Trap »

bcohio2001 wrote:1. What are the pros / cons of each?
2. Which is easier to use for Window's user?
What I can say is that sourceforge is blocked on my tablet because of the built-in browser that can not read ssl. GitHub is avaiable for me. But SF has a nice search tool.
Simple user point of view here, not a developer's one.
bcohio2001

Re: Sourceforge vs. GetHub Hosting

Post by bcohio2001 »

@Tourist Trap:
I was looking for advice on which service to use for hosting.
(Edited first post and title to reflect this)
St_W

Post by St_W »

Mostly dependes on which VCS you want to use. If you are used to SVN and want to keep using it then you have to use SourceForge. If you want to use GIT you can use both, but GitHub is probably the more popuplar one for new projects. I like GitHub because it has a more leightweight interface and no ads. However, when you're just developing alone you won't have to use the website interface a lot anyway, because you're going to be using the VCS tools (like TortoiseSVN/SourceTree or simply their command line interface) mostly. Do you need any additional features like issue tracking, a wiki, CI systems etc.?
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

Tourist Trap wrote:What I can say is that sourceforge is blocked on my tablet because of the built-in browser that can not read ssl.
Does it say why it doesn’t like Sourceforge’s HTTPS? Many sites, including freebasic.net, will now force you to connect with SSL, so you would also have difficulties with those.
Any usable browser nowadays has to support SSL.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

counting_pine wrote: Does it say why it doesn’t like Sourceforge’s HTTPS? Many sites, including freebasic.net, will now force you to connect with SSL, so you would also have difficulties with those.
Yes, but the samsung browser here feels rather unconcerned!
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

Does it tell you why it can’t connect to https://sourceforge.net?
bcohio2001

Post by bcohio2001 »

St_W wrote:If you are used to SVN and want to keep using it then you have to use SourceForge. If you want to use GIT you can use both, but GitHub is probably the more popuplar one for new projects.
Not sure what either one is. Have no experience with any service.
St_W wrote:Do you need any additional features like issue tracking, a wiki, CI systems etc.?
I would like for people to "put their 2 cents in". Point out issues or better ways to code.
And if they want to help work on it, can add them to the project.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

counting_pine wrote:Does it say why it doesn’t like Sourceforge’s HTTPS? Many sites, including freebasic.net, will now force you to connect with SSL, so you would also have difficulties with those.
I was wrong, I can access SF. Some weeks ago I was confused because other sites with SSL are really unreachable but I have none at hand right now. The problem with SF and my browser is that I can see only half of the screen. The menu is open and covers nearly the whole screen. But I tried right now, I can download stuff.

About my xp computer now, the router seems to deny him the connection. That's why I keep using the tablet.

If I find a website with the SSL blocking again I'll post the message here if this doesn't disturb too much. I may not occur too soon, but I think it will sooner or later.

Thanks for your concern, and sorry for the bad information at first.
bcohio2001 wrote:@Tourist Trap:
I was looking for advice on which service to use for hosting.
(Edited first post and title to reflect this)
Ahah, I can't say anymore I didn't know then ;)
caseih

Post by caseih »

Both are very similar in intent but differ in how they present your project to the world. Github is primarily a tool for collaborating on source code, with facilities for bug tracking and documentation. It's not really designed for hosting and sharing binaries, although you can do that with it. Github's primary interface to the world is a view of the source code tree, with your readme file being the main page. Anyone can fork your entire tree (depending on if you've paid for a private project) which is how collaborative development is done. So if your goal is to publish your source code to the world (always specify a license of some kind) and provide for collaboration, then github would probably work well for you. If your goal is just to have a place to post the lasted compiled binary from your private project, then it might not be so great.

Sourceforge is similar to Github in intent, although it's structure is very different. SF does not revolve entirely around source control. The source code repository is but one optional part you can use if you want to, or avoid altogether. SF allows the posting of arbitrary files outside of a source-control context, so if you just want to post binaries, SF is probably a better choice than Github.

Hope this helps. Both are free so try them both out and see which one fits your needs better. Based on what little you've said, I suspect SF.net will be a better fit than github.
bcohio2001

Post by bcohio2001 »

I am looking for a way to work on a project. And allow others to kibitz.
Share the code without having to remember to update the zip file to upload to "MediaFire" (which is how I am currently doing it).

From what I understand, GitHub has a more Unix style user base.
Using command line. Using something called "Bash".
Saw something about a "Windows" interface, but not sure what it does.

I only code for a hobby. So I really do not give a damn about a license or copyright.
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

bcohio2001 wrote:So I really do not give a damn about a license or copyright.
Well, the copyright is yours, whether you like it or not.
I think the only way, without choosing a license is, to declare it "public domain", but
AFAIK, this works only for the USA and maybe Canada (not Europe, for instance).
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

bcohio2001 wrote: I only code for a hobby. So I really do not give a damn about a license or copyright.
Hi bcohio2001,

you necessarily are the copyright owner of your work. This is not necessary for you to put a licence notice, but in the open source context you can add a notice that make it sure that you won't have someone that will use your work and lock it down with its own copyright on its derived work. If you want to keep the project open you may be well advised to append one of the open source licences, like creative commons or wathever.

There is 2 cases where a copyright is absolutely useless anyway. First, if your work is not original. You can't claim anything if you reinvent the wheel. And the second case, if your work is only a language (not one the concrete implementation, but the language itself). I have no detail about this second limitation, but I've heard of that many times.

Here is a link where you can read a few information about copyright stuff.
https://books.google.fr/books?id=v2U6Dw ... OK&f=false

You said that you are not concerned but you may want to learn more, and the first pages of the book showed in google store may be useful later who knows?
bcohio2001

Post by bcohio2001 »

Ok. I will look into at least type of license I should use.

As for the copyright, I was referring more toward pursuing a "Copyright infringement" case.

From what caseih said, seems like GitHub would be my best choice.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

We use BitBucket for work. I'm assuming because it's from Atlassian and we use their project management software (JIRA) to log time and do billing.