New here: Should I start with freebasic?

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
marcov

Re: New here: Should I start with freebasic?

Post by marcov »

St_W wrote:That's true, but it's not hard to make your .NET application compatible with both 2.0-3.5 and 4.0 runtimes - especially if it's such a simple application like the one request by the thread's author.
Source compatible, or generate compatible .EXE's ?
And features also differ between different versions of the Win32-API or other APIs.
Much less, it is possible to craft highly compatible EXEs. More importantly, by dynloading winapi dlls one can actually load the few differences dynamically, increasing compatibility.

Currently we support XP+ without much trouble, and XP is not even supported anymore (came with .NET 1.x originally)
newbieforever

Post by newbieforever »

HELP, stop, this is a little too much of a good thing!

Excuse me, St_W (& marcov,) but this discussion is moving away more and more from my simple question: Is FB indepentdent on .NET Framework.

PS: St_W, you may be right in some statements, but in the sense of my question you are not right. I do not know at the moment if "any" .NET version was installed on the recently installed machine, but the first program I launched called for .NET 3.5 and it had to be installed. So in a practical sense, it's pointless to say: "Every supported Windows version has .NET pre-installed." To be on the safe side, I just have to look that a program is .NET independent, if possible.

It was enough for me to hear: YES, FB is .NET independent.
Last edited by newbieforever on Jun 24, 2018 16:22, edited 2 times in total.
newbieforever

Post by newbieforever »

PaulSquires wrote:Here is the "/run:" code... not tested because I am writing this post online away from my development computer.
... No matching overloaded functgion, LEFT()
Last edited by newbieforever on Jun 24, 2018 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
St_W

Post by St_W »

marcov wrote:Source compatible, or generate compatible .EXE's ?
Both source and binary compatible. See e.g. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet ... k-4-or-4-5
newbieforever wrote:I do not know at the moment if "any" .NET version was installed on the recently installed machine, but the first program I launched called for .NET 3.5 and it had to be installed.
Because you probably had .NET 4.x and the application wasn't configured to be compatible with version 4. If it had been configured properly it would have worked. So that is not a valid argument. There are also many Win32 applications (e.g. think about games) that only work on specific versions of Windows because they were implemented improperly or exploit system details they shouldn't have used. You should blame the programmer of that application and not .NET or Windows in that case.
newbieforever

Post by newbieforever »

St_W wrote:If it had been configured properly it would have worked. So that is not a valid argument.
It was not an argument, it was a fact! Which proves that the easiest way to be on the safe side is to choose (if possible) the option of independency.

Please, St_W, let us terminate this discussion here. If you want to show others how to handle .NET issues to have no problems, you could do it somewhere else. In my case .NET issues have zero relevance.
St_W

Post by St_W »

newbieforever wrote:It was not an argument, it was a fact! Which proves that the easiest way to be on the safe side is to choose (if possible) the option of independency.
The fact is that the application didn't work, but not because of .NET, but because it was not implemented properly. That's why I reminded you of learning to do things properly right in my first answer to your question. If you do things badly in FreeBasic or any other programming language you will also run into issues on certain systems. It's just that certain programming environments are more error-tolerant than others. e.g. FreeBasic or C are less error-tolerant than e.g. Java or C#, so it's even more important do learn implementing programs properly.

So it's crucial to understand that applications not working properly is most often not a compiler or operating system issue, but simply bad programming by the application's author. If you've got that we can terminate the discussion :-)
newbieforever

Post by newbieforever »

I have got that...
newbieforever

Post by newbieforever »

PaulSquires wrote:Here is the "/run:" code... not tested because I am writing this post online away from my development computer.
PaulSquires, you are a schatz!

After inserting the asterisk in the line

Code: Select all

if left(*szArglist[i], 5) = "/run:" then
your code works perfectly!

PS:
There is no PM option in this forum... May I ask: Did you perhaps read my other post (viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26814)?