Windows 10 updates as malware for Windows 7

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
2rox

Windows 10 updates as malware for Windows 7

Post by 2rox »

Some (or all) of the updates from January on have changed Windows 7. Any day, a new wrinkle is added.
Icons that can't be entered.
Icons that can't be re-entered.
The function of Notepad is changed.
I spend most of my time looking for work-arounds.

Microsoft has done this before, when pushing a new version.
I've been trying to uninstall all possible candidate updates, but there are just too may of them, and it probably won't work anyway.

Does anybody have a solution?
badidea

Re: Windows 10 updates as malware for Windows 7

Post by badidea »

2rox

Post by 2rox »

Thank you, but I don't think I could implement this very quickly.
caseih

Post by caseih »

What do you mean "Icons that can't be entered. Icons that can't be re-entered?"

How has the function of notepad changed? I haven't used it recently, but it seems the same on Windows 10 as it always was.

What kinds of workarounds are you needing to do?
2rox

Post by 2rox »

If you're not using Windows 7, then you're not having this problem.

I've been in hospitals, etc. since Feb 9, and I've gone a bit cold on nomenclature.
The entry screen has icons on it. Some have curvy arrows indicating the program is protected.

I can't get a new tab in internet explorer by clicking on the internet icon in the task bar.
The only way I know to get a new tab is by opening an internet program (MSN weather, e.g.) from my Favorites folder, and then repurposing it.

This is really upsetting.

Thank you for your interest, and I hope I've answered some of your questions.
caseih

Post by caseih »

I'm sorry to hear of your health challenges.

The curvy arrow you speak of indicates that the icon is a shortcut to a program or other type of file. I'm not aware of any changes in how desktop shortcuts behave from Windows XP to the current Windows 10.

I'm still not sure what you are referring to when you say an icon can't be "re-entered."

As for IE, the standard way to open a new tab is either to click the "+" icon next to the existing tabs, or press Ctrl-T. I was unaware that clicking on the shortcut could get you new tabs. That is handy and I'm sorry to hear that doesn't work any longer. What happens now when you click on the IE icon in the task bar?
2rox

Post by 2rox »

Why should Windows 10 conventions show up in windows 7 at all?
caseih

Post by caseih »

What Windows 10 conventions? Everything I mentioned has been in place since Windows XP.
2rox

Post by 2rox »

Hi, caseih.

I never used XP. I went from the latest version of 98 to Vista, which automatically upgraded to 7 a bit later.
Microsoft really messed up my 98 in the process of getting to Vista. Maybe. I'm a bit confused.

Have you ever used 7?

Do Europeans have better control over Microsoft's shenanigans?

At any rate, we seem to be talking from different perspectives. It's like being in alternate universes.

Thank you for your insight.
2rox

Post by 2rox »

Hi, caseih,

As example of difference, In windows 7, we never had a "+" icon next to the existing tabs. We just left-clicked the icon.
caseih

Post by caseih »

Yes, it does sound like different universes. I don't use Windows often, but when I do, it's Windows 7 on a laptop. I only have Windows 10 on one virtual machine. So yes, I have used Windows 7, probably much more than Windows 10.

Internet Explorer in Windows 7 certainly has a new tab button just to the right of the existing tabs and has for a long time. I was mistaken about it having a "+" on it, though. It's just a blank little tab button next to the tabs that shows the standard windows "new tab" icon when you mouse over it. It is there. I just looked at it. On Windows 7. All I'm saying is that this is an alternative to your clicking the quick launch icon. And Ctrl+T will always work too. Hopefully this knowledge will make whatever seems to have changed bearable.

Good luck with everything, and I hope your health improves.