Windows 10 updates

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
srvaldez

Windows 10 updates

Post by srvaldez »

viewtopic.php?p=245853#p245853
dodicat wrote:Must get back to using Linux again.

There was a win 10 update last night.
It managed to wipe out all my internet history links, every last one.

Goodness knows, could you rely on a system like that for anything important?
yesterday one of my Windows 10 VM's had a major upgrade - version 1803, not complaining but at first glance it looked like my desktop and most of my installed programs were missing from the start menu but that was only while windows was upgrading, after it finished upgrading everything was back the way I had it, perhaps your upgrade did not finish properly.
[edit] see https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... -1803.html
Last edited by srvaldez on Apr 11, 2018 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
fxm

Re: Windows 10 updates

Post by fxm »

I had so many problems during the last update of Windows 10 (in March) that I have disabled them for the moment (Windows Modules Installer service "trustedinstaller" deactivated).
I wait to see the comments of users, but the first seen (on KB4093112) are not good.
fxm

Post by fxm »

Can Windows 10 users tell me how it went through the KB4093112 update (if they did it) ?
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

It finished OK srvaldez as far as i can see.
Yesterday (11.4.2018)
update KB4093112
update KB4099989
fxm
One of those messed up my internet history list.
Apart from that it seems OK.
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

@fxm
I don't remember that particular update but a Google search gave this as the first hit https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -kb4093112
Windows Update History reports that KB4054517 failed to install because of error 0x80070643
even though the update was successfully installed, Windows Update incorrectly reports that the update failed to install. To verify the installation, select Check for Updates to confirm that there are no additional updates available.

You can also type About your PC in the search box on your taskbar to confirm that your device is using the expected OS build.

Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
fxm

Post by fxm »

srvaldez wrote:@fxm
I don't remember that particular update but a Google search gave this as the first hit https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -kb4093112
Windows Update History reports that KB4054517 failed to install because of error 0x80070643
even though the update was successfully installed, Windows Update incorrectly reports that the update failed to install. To verify the installation, select Check for Updates to confirm that there are no additional updates available.

You can also type About your PC in the search box on your taskbar to confirm that your device is using the expected OS build.

Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
Same type of comment for each update since January!

So I unlocked this update that went well in itself (about 1/4 of an hour) and after the Windows starting, I got the successive update comment (at Windows Update menu) and the good build 16299.371 (from WinVer).
But then like last update, each successive reboot caused a re-installation of the update.
I then, as for the last update, manually broke this infernal loop of updates by putting the Windows Modules Installer service "trustedinstaller" again in "disabled" mode, otherwise it returns from itself after a moment from "manual" to "automatic" (normal mode without update pending should be "manual").
Now, everything seems to be fine (Windows Modules Installer service "trustedinstaller" in "disabled" mode, while waiting for the next update to modify it).
Last edited by fxm on Apr 14, 2018 19:52, edited 2 times in total.
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

After the last update I saw high activity on my router without to be online via browser.
I found out the peer to peer function was enabled after the update.

It can be disabled easily but you have to know that is activated from Microsoft at first :-)

Joshy
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

It seems Windows10 can be a real pig of an operating system.
My first update to Windows10 during the free update offer of an older Windows eventually locked onto a blue screen blocking any keyboard activity and thus any ability to do anything about it. It needed a clean restore which would have destroyed any data.
My latest Windows10 gave me hell locking me out of files and now it just froze up so I ctrl/alt/del and chose sign out.
It just kept "signing out"!!
So I removed the battery and pulled the plug. It squealed when the plug was pulled, probably the hard drive coming to a stop.
After plugging it back in the problem seems to have resolved itself.
An old Windows7 machine has never given any problems.
I thought of blocking updates but my understanding is you get virus protection updates?
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

BascCoder2 wrote:I thought of blocking updates but my understanding is you get virus protection updates?
That only matters, if you use M$'s virus scanner.
(another advantage of: "not putting all the eggs into the same basket")
I use a 3rd party virus scanner, with windows-updates "switched OFF".
Last edited by MrSwiss on Apr 19, 2018 17:38, edited 2 times in total.
marcov

Post by marcov »

I turned off antivirus using WinAero. Had to reenable it once to get updates after january.

Most of my update problems are with rarely used machines. The much used complex machines update every month and are less of a problem. Working away half year gaps is when the trouble starts.
fxm

Post by fxm »

My Windows 10 config is presently:
- anti-virus Avast activated
- Windows Update service "wuauserv" in manual state
- Windows Modules Installer service "trustedinstaller" in disabled state
So I will see appear the different proposed updates, but I will remain entirely master of their real applications (by modifying state of Windows Modules Installer service "trustedinstaller" if I decide to do it).
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

Today I notice a screenres 640,480,32,,1 isn't a real fullscreen
the toolbar or name it taskbar are visible looks bad for a game.
I'm sure before last Windows 10 update it worked normal here.

Joshy
fxm

Post by fxm »

Can not successfully install the latest Windows 10 64-bit update (KB4093105).
I have tried several times with re-download files at each time, the update seems to be going well when you reboot the ASUS PC, but after the return to Windows, always the same version of the OS (16299.371) instead of the new expected (16299.402). There is also a Windows error notification (0x80240034 or 0x80070bc2).
I would try again in a few days.
Last edited by fxm on Apr 26, 2018 16:54, edited 2 times in total.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

I have had Windows Update disabled for a while - I don't want the next Creators update anywhere near my machine until the dust settles.

I enabled and successfully installed 16299.402.

After a 'hefty' update I normally wait for 24 hours and then do a Disk CleanUp including 'Clean up system files' and get back, sometimes, a few GB. The system, for some reason, does not like me doing this shortly after a 'hefty' update. However, sometimes the system locks and I have to Cancel. What happens is that the previous update files get in a mess and we have to 'clear the decks'. We can do this manually if we know where the files are, I have done it, but there is a utility which will do this for us and I have used it several times.

Go to WindowsUpdateFixer and get a copy of V2.1.2. Run in admin mode and just click on 'Fix Windows Update' - do not switch to 'Advanced Mode'. This is not a Windows 10 specific utility - I used it on Windows 7 but I have had to use it too many times with Windows 10. Restart and try to install 16299.402 again.

I have tried the Windows Update troubleshooter in the past but found it totally useless, as with most of their troubleshooters.

I should add that I am not overly concerned about anything going pear shaped because I have a system backup done every morning at 04:00 when the system is a asleep. Anything untoward and I am straight back to the last 04:00 backup.

No guarantees but WindowsUpdateFixer is worth a try.

I have just disable Windows Update again, paused until May 31. The latest Creators should have come out on April 10 so we are getting close to the half yearly 'grief time'. <smile>
fxm

Post by fxm »

deltarho[1859] wrote:Go to WindowsUpdateFixer and get a copy of V2.1.2. Run in admin mode and just click on 'Fix Windows Update' - do not switch to 'Advanced Mode'. This is not a Windows 10 specific utility - I used it on Windows 7 but I have had to use it too many times with Windows 10. Restart and try to install 16299.402 again.
I've already tried this before, but it did more harm than good.
Because my Windows update issues are recurring on my ASUS PC:
- update of December 2017: OK
- update of January 2018: NOK
- updated February 2018: NOK
- update of March 2018: OK but with a lot of difficulties (I did not understand why it worked after a good number of attempts)
- update of April 2018: NOK for the moment

At present time, I work with Avast and Firefox, so I think to be enough protected (even without the Windows updates).