Bad situation for portable GUI's?

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
D.J.Peters

Bad situation for portable GUI's?

Post by D.J.Peters »

(sorry bad english)
If we will an GUI that looks same on WINDOWS and Linux too GTK is an solution but it exist most on Linux and it's a very big package and it is not an user friendly thing to say you must install the right GTK libs under your OS.

If i look for all the free GUI libs there are most for C++.

My question.
Exist an other/shorter FREE C GUI Lib with the way for static linking.

all a nice time.

Joshy
MystikShadows

Post by MystikShadows »

There's always:

wxWidgets http://www.wxwindows.org/

or the QT library http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

MystikShadows wrote:There's always:

wxWidgets http://www.wxwindows.org/

or the QT library http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/
Hi MystikShadow,
i know but has you found an C++ wrapper for it ?

Joshy

EDIT: QT is lager than GTK and C++ too. An comercial product only free for privat using.
Last edited by D.J.Peters on Jun 26, 2005 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
MystikShadows

Post by MystikShadows »

not for freebasic no, it would be quite a choir to achieve too. They do have what they call wxBasic which might be a good starting point.
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

(sorry bad english!)
MystikShadows wrote:not for freebasic no, it would be quite a choir to achieve too. They do have what they call wxBasic which might be a good starting point.
You understood my question ?
wxBasic is written primarily in C, with some C++ linking it to the wxWindows library.

Joshy

FreeBASIC need libs in C or an C++ wrapper. If any lib is in C we can port the header files to FreeBASIC.
MystikShadows

Post by MystikShadows »

ohhhhhhhh....I didn't understand no :-) obviously by my not too intelligent responce :-).

Aside gtk, I'm not sure which libraries' headers can be ported, not sure which of them have headers :-).
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

MystikShadows wrote:ohhhhhhhh....I didn't understand no :-) obviously by my not too intelligent responce :-).

Aside gtk, I'm not sure which libraries' headers can be ported, not sure which of them have headers :-).
I wasn't not realy shure my english is bad and your answer's is not an help if you post C++ links and i'm serching shorter !!!FREE!!! C libs for !!!STATIC!!! linking.
Don't be wrong trust me it is my bad english not an attack on your intelligence.

Have a nice time.

Joshy
Last edited by D.J.Peters on Jun 26, 2005 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
Antoni

Post by Antoni »

Well, for wx-c, if you look at your include folder you have there 600K of FB headers...
Dumbledore has been answering questions about wx-c use in FB for a while, he 's even started a visual designer project...
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

(sorry bad english!)

Hi Antoni,
i was thinking wx-c designer is for WINDOWS only and wx-c too.
Now i will try it under Linux.

Thanks and a nice day.

Joshy
dumbledore

Post by dumbledore »

unfortunately, the designer only works under windows, but the code generated by it works under both windows and linux.
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

(sorry bad english)

Hi dumbledore,
thank you glade runs on win and linux but GTK is very big and the FB wx-c designer only for win so i think it's realy a bad situation for portable GUIS usable with FreeBASIC.

Do you know an other PORTABLE FREE C GUI Lib?

Joshy
dumbledore

Post by dumbledore »

i think you may have misunderstood me. wx-c does work under linux, in fact it works just as well as it does under windows, the only thing is my designer program does not run under linux yet. that doesn't mean you can't use it under linux.
v1ctor
Site Admin

Post by v1ctor »

Well, there's IUP, the headers were included in 0.13, but it may be too simple or too complex to use, depending on what you are trying to do. Versions for Windows and Linux, the Win DLL is around 200k, it can be also used as a static library (the .exe's then become around 200k in size too).

Another small library Angelo showed me is the Leonard Lib, used in the VM: http://www.dis.uniroma1.it/~leonardo/ll.shtml, but i never tried it, seems like the entry-point must be changed to its WinMain or just main, i'm not sure. The header seems easy to translate using the h2bi tool http://www.freebasic.net/temp/swig_fb.zip.

One day somebody may start a project to write a #####Basic-ish, non-OO, small, multi-platform GUI library for FB, but it may take time..
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

(sorry bad english)
v1ctor wrote:...One day somebody may start a project to write a #####Basic-ish, non-OO, small, multi-platform GUI library for FB, but it may take time..
Thanx v1ctor,
but please don't spent time for an GUI lib (we can do it too) use your time for OO or the needed debuging part breakpoints an the other havy debug things PLEASE

A nice time.

Joshy
v1ctor
Site Admin

Post by v1ctor »

No, it won't be me that will code that you can be sure, i know nothing about GUI programming, much less in different platforms. That's a task for users with knowledge about the quirks of each system and yeah, with quite a lot of free time.