Wiki improvements

Forum for discussion about the documentation project.
sancho3

Re: Wiki improvements

Post by sancho3 »

"Get Information Into Your Program" no problems.
"Using Dynamic Arrays In FreeBasic" no problems.
"Beginners Guide to Types as Objects" no problems. (This is an excellent tutorial)
"Beginners Guide to Types as Objects (Part 2)" no problems. (Again very well done and lots of info)
"Introduction to Variable Scope" no problems.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

MrSwiss wrote:The problem(s) encountered so far are: there isn't any "Style-/Formatting Guide" and
it is therefore less than intuitive, to work on such things.
I've updated FBWikiFormatting so it is much simpler. The document generators (what makes the chm) only understand a subset of all the mark-up available in the wiki engine, so I've deleted all the other mark-up we don't use.
sancho3

Post by sancho3 »

"Introduction To Arrays" no problems.
"Introduction to the Type Def" corrected some formatting issues. Added note about current version of FB.

In the tutorial "New To Programming", I would like to change the link on DataTypes. Outside of editing mode the cursor shows the link points to https://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.ph ... Types/edit. I don't know what this kind of page this is.
However when I edit the page I can't find that link anywhere. There must be some default (CSS maybe?) linking going on that I don't have access to.
Any idea how to modify this?
badidea

Post by badidea »

Should probably link to the section below, on same page. Don't know how to do that with wikkawiki.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

The on-line wiki engine automatically sees CamelCaseWords, like DataTypes in this case, as a link to another wiki page. If the wiki page has not been created yet, it automatically takes you to the edit page so you can create it. We usually don't want that.
If you want to link that word to a page, use [[pagename|description]] markup, and
If you don't want to link it to anything, wrap it in double quotes ""DataTypes"" markup

To link to same page, use {{anchor name="item|description"}} action. I added some description on FBWikiFormatting. The CompilerFAQ page uses the {{anchor}} action if you want to see an example.
sancho3

Post by sancho3 »

Thank you CoderJeff.
"New to Programming?" Corrected formatting in a couple of places.
I have recommended removing 1 tutorial up to now. I don't feel that it is my place to make the final call so you take my input as an opinion.

"How to Program a Game: Lesson 1" This tutorial has some good beginners info but the links to the graphics resources are not available.. I fixed some formatting and added a couple of notes. One about keyword suffixes and the other about non-functioning links.
The author is Lachie Dazdarian and was last seen here back in May 2017. I don't know what the best solution for this tutorial is. Should we request an update from him?
Last edited by sancho3 on Feb 02, 2018 4:47, edited 2 times in total.
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

hello sancho3
you can find TCRay.zip at http://www.petesqbsite.com/downloads/graphics.shtml
sancho3

Post by sancho3 »

Thank you srvaldez. I updated the link however I have not yet explored the tutorial.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

@sancho3, great work, thanks.

Which tutorial do you recommend removing? I can't figure out which one...

What do you think of adding, as last line to the tutorial something like:
Last reviewed: Feb 3, 2018 by <user_name>. Optional comments...
badidea

Post by badidea »

coderJeff wrote:What do you think of adding, as last line to the tutorial something like:
Last reviewed: Feb 3, 2018 by <user_name>. Optional comments...
May I suggest: Date, User, OS-version, fbc-version, optional...
sancho3

Post by sancho3 »

I recommend removing the Using Libraries tutorial.
The code is QB and very old.
Using libraries however is a badly needed tutorial. Every new user posts the "missing libxxx" question. It would be great if someone could write an FB tutorial.

I thought about posting a line at the end stated reviewed by etc, but there is already an edit history that can be looked at by logging in.
However I will add the line anyway so that anyone can see the date of review etc.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

thanks, that would be great. Then when the tutorial gets packaged in to the manual, the user can see when it was reviewed (even when off-line).

Personally, I think a tutorial needs to be specific and that the "Using Libraries" is too broad a topic for a tutorial, The fix for it could be to re-title it to be about using the SDL library, assuming the tutorial is otherwise good. For a tutorial, I think a specific library, like zlib, openGL, SDL, etc, would be good.

For general information about using libraries, see Using Pre-built Libraries in the programmer's guide.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

Removed Dead Links:
CodeLibrary
I did not test validity of what the links point to, just that the link is valid.

Not deleted yet, but, marked for removal -- because any of this should be on CodeLibrary page:
CodeLib
CodeLibExample
CodeLibDevTools
CodeLibMisc
sancho3

Post by sancho3 »

The IF Statement This is a good tutorial but it does not mention AndAlso and OrElse. I am going to add links to their respective wiki pages them at the end.
The Select Case Statement No problems.

I edited all the previously reviewed tutorials and added:
Last Reviewed by ""Sancho3"" on February 06, 2018

I added a note about Quick Edit Mode in Using the mouse.
I added a note about AndAlso and OrElse in the tutorial mentioned above.

Conditional Compilation And You I removed dead links.
Introduction to Pointers no problems.
Pointers, Data Types and Memory no problems.
The Pointer Data Type Fixed a spelling error. Added a note about dynamic arrays in Types.
Linked Lists No problems. This is a good tutorial. I learned some things.
Dynamic Arrays in Types Error in code fixed and noted.
Function Overloading No problems.
Different ways angles are measured No problems.
A Brief Introduction To Trigonometry No problems.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

sancho, that's fantastic. You are really making progress. I am continuing to work on marking the dead pages and cleaning up WantedPages.