Raspberry Pi and FreeBASIC

For issues with communication ports, protocols, etc.
BasicCoder2

Raspberry Pi and FreeBASIC

Post by BasicCoder2 »

dasyar wrote:@h4tt3n, back on topic, I would like to suggest you look into, maybe using a Raspberry Pi. It has some exposed IO pins, you can load freeBasic to the system, and you would have Python as an alternative programming option. If you have some other questions about this kind of setup, feel free to post some questions.
Is it difficult to set up with FreeBASIC and have you working code with regards to i/o using FreeBASIC on the Raspberry Pi ?
For some reason Jaycar in Australia do not support the Raspberry Pi otherwise I would have bought one some time ago.
One thing that worried me is I have no experience with the Linux operating system.
dasyar

Re: Raspberry Pi and FreeBASIC

Post by dasyar »

Is it difficult to set up, since I have not done it in a while, I am not sure. Back some time ago there was a thread in the Linux forum, for doing just that. The instructions were very straight forward and I do not remember having a problem. I am not sure if anybody is supporting that any longer.

Do I have FB code for accessing the IO pins, not sure, it has been a long time since I was experimenting with that. Using Python was very straight forward, and there is a lot of example code on the Internet, for doing just that.

I am not absolutely positive, but I will probably not be posting any code any longer, I am tired of being harassed. I will make some effort to answer questions and maybe present some very very short snippets. I have also put FB on hold, I am now using Python as my favorite prototyping tool. I found that there is a whole lot of examples and reasonable explanations on the Internet concerning Python.

Concerning the Raspberry Pi, my setup is Raspberry Pi Desktop PC software, you can load that on an x86 machine and it does have some programs for hooking up to a Raspberry Pi Zero, where it allows you to access the IO pins. In essence you can have access to some IO pins from your desktop PC. No I have not tried that yet, I am involved in another project at the moment. For the curious, it is using Python SQLite to work a database. Hope all this helps.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

dasyar wrote: I have also put FB on hold, I am now using Python as my favorite prototyping tool. I found that there is a whole lot of examples and reasonable explanations on the Internet concerning Python.
Thanks for the feedback. I will drop using FreeBASIC for doing interfacing and do it the easy way instead with Python and C.
jcfuller

Post by jcfuller »

Before abandoning basic altogether :
http://www.basic-converter.org/

James
caseih

Post by caseih »

Interesting, but FB is already a BASIC to C converter. Either way, at present neither FB nor this basic converter you linked to can emit code suitable for running on an Arduino. Especially if you want to utilize the Processing framework and API that makes Arduino so easy to use.

That said, I think using FB as the core language with the Processing framework would be pretty slick on Arduino.
jcfuller

Post by jcfuller »

caseih wrote:Interesting, but FB is already a BASIC to C converter. Either way, at present neither FB nor this basic converter you linked to can emit code suitable for running on an Arduino. Especially if you want to utilize the Processing framework and API that makes Arduino so easy to use.

That said, I think using FB as the core language with the Processing framework would be pretty slick on Arduino.
That may be but the topic is Raspberry PI and FreeBASIC not Arduino and FreeBASIC.

James
caseih

Post by caseih »

Oh yes, true enough!
marcov

Post by marcov »

Well, rephrase the question for a Arduino Due then :-) (which is the only worthwhile Arduino to begin with, the lesser parts are DMAless which means that connecting ethernet already eats up the little CPU power there is)
chung

Post by chung »

my personal experience with python was a nightmare , struggling with identations , hidden blanks and texteditor tabulations

Rather be interested by a Python to freebasic converter
TJF

Post by TJF »

BasicCoder2 wrote: Is it difficult to set up with FreeBASIC and have you working code with regards to i/o using FreeBASIC on the Raspberry Pi ?
For some reason Jaycar in Australia do not support the Raspberry Pi otherwise I would have bought one some time ago.
One thing that worried me is I have no experience with the Linux operating system.
Hi BasicCoder2!

You may also check the Beaglebone (BB) hardware. Those are check card computers running Debian LINUX like Raspberry (RP), a little bit more expensive (smaller production volume), but
  • on-board ADC (12 bit 7+1 channel)
  • more GPIO (RP=26, while BB > 60 - depending on type White, Blue, Green, Black, Pocket-)
  • more hardware features like QEP, CAP, PWM
  • easy real time programming at high speed due to PRU subsystems
It's pretty easy to install FreeBASIC on that device (using default Debian package managing system). Using IO is straight forward, since the most advanced library (named libpruio) is written in FreeBASIC. BTW: the library also shipps with C and Python bindings.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

@TJF,
Thanks for the suggestion. Since the first post Jaycar started stocking the Raspberry PI and there is lots of support educationally for it, that as a electronic hobbyist, makes it easier for me to do things with. So I bought the Raspberry PI got it up and running with FreeBASIC and essentially haven't had time to actually do anything with it. For some simple projects I have found the Arduino the easiest solution.
Last edited by BasicCoder2 on Sep 24, 2018 9:22, edited 1 time in total.
TJF

Post by TJF »

BasicCoder2 wrote:@TJF,
Thanks for the suggestion. Since the first post Jaycar started stocking the Raspberry PI and there is lots of support educationally for it, that as a electronic hobbyist, makes it easier for me to do things with. So I bought the Raspberry PI got it up and running with FreeBASIC and essentially haven't had time to actually do anything with it. For some simple projects I have found the Arduino the easiest solution.
Yes, you're right. RP has excelent video capabilities and lots of educational support, but is hard to understand and handle. Arduino is the most easy solution and well supported, but it has some hardware limits.

Here's a similar project using libpruio: a browser controlled tank.

When it comes to image processing or network connections, the Arduinos are simply too slow and too small of memory. libpruio makes a BB as easy (and real-time) as the Arduino, but adds the features and the power of a modern SoC computer.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

I love what you guys are doing with Raspberry PI. Makes me want to go get one and try it out, even though I have no particular application in mind. We could make the instructions for building to RP a wiki page, to include with documentation. Maybe there is already instructions posted on the forums? Need to collect that useful information in to a topic. Keep up the great work guys!
TJF

Post by TJF »

coderJeff wrote:I love what you guys are doing with Raspberry PI. Makes me want to go get one and try it out, even though I have no particular application in mind. We could make the instructions for building to RP a wiki page, to include with documentation. Maybe there is already instructions posted on the forums? Need to collect that useful information in to a topic. Keep up the great work guys!
The building instructions are at https://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=DevToc.

On armhf systems (RPi or BeagleBone) you need not build fbc. Arend Lammertink did that already and serves the package at his PPA. You can download and install (as any other software) with the packet manager by

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install freebasic
Find details at http://users.freebasic-portal.de/tjf/Pr ... #SecDebPac

Edit: In case of BeagleBone FreeBASIC is now available in the official package repository. You no longer need to add Arends PPA to your packages list. Note: the PPA provides good further packages like fbdoc or cmakefbc.
jdebord

Post by jdebord »

Isn't FB already available in Raspbian ?