A matter of perspective...

Game development specific discussions.
D.J.Peters

Re: A matter of perspective...

Post by D.J.Peters »

xlucas wrote:But truly, my real problem is with perspective and clipping.
here are a must read !

Joshy
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

D.J.Peters wrote:
xlucas wrote:But truly, my real problem is with perspective and clipping.
here are a must read !

Joshy
Hi Joshy

The other post (the one you deleted) was also very insightful. Why you deleted it? ;)

@xlucas: that's a really useful tutorial. Do be aware, however, that the tutorial uses row matrices (the way Direct3D does). If you were to use column matrices (as OpenGL does), you'll have to transpose the matrices (to convert them to column notation), and post-multiply the vectors (as opposed to pre-multiplying them, as in the tutorial).

Long story short:

Direct3D/scratchAPixel.com: v * M (vector * matrix )
OpenGL/openGL-tutorial.org/my paper plane demo XD: M * v (matrix * vector)

This is already stated in the link Joshy posted, just in case you were wondering ;)
xlucas

Post by xlucas »

Thanks, Joshy! This tutorial is great. Are you able to see the math properly, though? I see stuff like this:

Code: Select all

$$ \begin{array}{l} w' = x * m_{03} + y * m_{13} + \color{red}{z * m_{23}} + 1 * m_{33} \end{array}{} $$ 
Anyway, if I read slowly and carefully, I can understand what it means there and sometimes, I can guess by context after reading the text.

Paul: Yeah, I know how matrices work. I just didn't represent my transformations with matrices in my code because that would make things slower and the transformations were very simple anyway, but I'm reading about the homogenous vectors and it's very interesting. I'm surprised that my completely unoptimised code already gets to enough FPSs as for a game. I'm not even cacheing the trigonometric functions yet!

The real annoyance is that I am being forced not to draw triangles that are close, because that produces a lot of glitches. But they are not "that" close. I would like to use a smaller threshold.
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

xlucas wrote:I know. I did it that way because I'm working at the same time on the editor and the renderer and for each, a different system is convenient. Once I make a final thing, I would just transform the 3D models to the same system as that of the renderer. I prefer to use Z for up because that is how a "player" would feel the world (unless in space). One tends to imagine a map and maps usually go by X and Y, not X and Z. Minecraft uses X/Z maps and I don't like that much, ha, ha. Of course, if the renderer were for an X-Wing and not for a Stunts, then it'd make more sense to use Y for up. But yes, I do agree in the end it should be just one system.
Sorry compis, but no. The only player that I know that 'feels' the world with the Z axis pointing upwards is you hahaha. What you say makes perfect sense in a 2D cartesian plane, but in 3D it does not. Z has almost invariably been used as the 'depth' component of the 3D coordinate tuple, hence the name ZBuffer ;)
Again, use well-known and common conventions, like the ones used by OpenGL. Trust me on this one, you'll save yourself a world of pain.
xlucas wrote:Nice to meet you, Euler! Ha, ha. Well, actually, I do know who Leonard Euler was. I just didn't know about Euler's Angles. I sat and thought how I should do this and well, I remember the nights playing with the telescope. I love Astronomy, but I'm not an astronomer. So that's how I came to set up that system. I also realised that using the system with azimuth first would mean that I can just ignore azimuth when solving for the horizon. Still, after reading about the gimbal lock, I know exactly what you mean. Since I recalculate from 0/0/0 degrees and execute all three rotations for each frame (with the purpose of not losing accuracy), I assumed there'd be no risk of locking, but to be honest, I haven't played much with 3D in the past, so I may be totally wrong.
This really has nothing to do with accuracy, but the way how rotations are performed with Euler. Not to mention that with Euler, you can only rotate about the center of the coordinate system.
xlucas wrote:I can understand your code. It only takes me longer to read than my own, of course... and your code is long, man... ha, ha. I've been playing with the paper plane. Really great. I'm kind of concerned on how I will trim my triangles. It's easier to do it with segments. I know my rotation is not the best, but so far, it works (I will of course keep on reading and will consider other systems). But truly, my real problem is with perspective and clipping.
My code is long because of the comments and all the boilerplate. The actual code that does useful things is less than 15% of total LOC ;)
Your actual problem is that the way you're laying out the engine makes it very uncomfortable to work with. The paper plane demo shows the bare minimum that you need to implement to achieve 3D. You can make a full-blown engine on top on that, provided you sort some other things first (like scene management and frustum culling, among others). Repent ye olde Eulerian ways, heathen, and thou shalt be spared! XD
xlucas wrote:Paul: Yeah, I know how matrices work. I just didn't represent my transformations with matrices in my code because that would make things slower and the transformations were very simple anyway, but I'm reading about the homogenous vectors and it's very interesting. I'm surprised that my completely unoptimised code already gets to enough FPSs as for a game. I'm not even cacheing the trigonometric functions yet!
It's a common misconception that matrices are the 'slower' way to do these things. Remember, 3D APIs work like that, so there's much to be gained by using them. The transformations you need to do are exactly the same ones that I did in the paper plane demo, and I stated them on a post before (also pointed out by the link provided by Joshy).
About the trig functions: don't even bother. Coprocessors nowadays are about as fast with floating point math as they are with integer math, so you'll complicate and limit the implementation for no real gain ;)

I'll see if I can spare the time to modify the little engine I posted to do the same thing that yours is doing, so you're able to see how it's done the matrices and vectors way, dale?
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

@xlucas the good news are the half of your virtual 3D world are never visible because it's behind your camera ;-)

So the most important 3D clipping is at the nearplane of your camera.

No problem If you don't like advanced 3d math.

In your "simple" 3d math the camera is always at the origin i'm right ?

I mean if you move the camera a unit up in real you move your world one unit down.
The same if your camera rotates to the right in real you rotate your world to the left and so on ...

A fixed camera at the origin makes near plane clipping really easy and fast.

Here you can test it if you like.
Of course you can't see a perfect clipping at the nearplane the nearplane isn't in front of your camera ;-)
But if you like to see the clipping in action set the const NEAR_PLANE = 1 to NEAR_PLANE = 30.

Joshy

type V3
  as single x,y,z
end type  

' camera near-plane clipping 
' iP = input Points 
' nP = number of input Points
' oP = clipped output Points
' function returns number of clipped output Points or 0
const as single NEAR_PLANE = 1 ' <- change it to 30
function ZClipNear(iP() as V3,nP as integer,oP() as V3) as integer
  dim as single s=any,e=any,t=any
  dim as integer r,c,l = nP-1
  if l<1 then ' it's only one input Point to clip
    ' it's in front of the camera (copy this Point to output)
    if iP(c).z>=1 then oP(r)=iP(c) : r+=1 ' count it in [r]eturn value
  else 
    c=l ' [c]urent Point = [l]ast Point in input array
    for n as integer=0 to l
      s = iP(c).z ' get z [s]tart from [c]urent point
      e = iP(n).z ' get z [e]nd from [n]ext point    
      if s>=NEAR_PLANE andalso e>=NEAR_PLANE then
        ' if both start and end in front of the camera copy [n]ext Point to output
        oP(r)=iP(n) : r+=1 ' count it in [r]eturn value
      elseif s<NEAR_PLANE andalso e<NEAR_PLANE then   
        ' if both start and end behind the camera simple ignore it :-)
      else 
        ' One Point are in front and one are behind the camera
        ' it plays no rule witch from them are in front or behind
        ' most important here are the fact that 
        ' z-[s]tart and z-[e]nd are never equal so no division by zero !
        ' create in the [o]ut[P]ut array a new Point clipped as the nearpane 
        t = (NEAR_PLANE-s)/(e - s)
        oP(r).x = iP(c).x + (iP(n).x - iP(c).x)*t
        oP(r).y = iP(c).y + (iP(n).y - iP(c).y)*t
        oP(r).z = NEAR_PLANE : r+=1 ' <- and count the new clipped point
        ' !!! at this clipping stage if the curent Point z-[s]tart
        ' was behind the camera (s<NEAR_PLANE) the [n]ext Point "must be" in front !!!
        ' copy [n]ext [i]n[P]ut to [o]ut[P]ut and count it
        if s<NEAR_PLANE then oP(r)=iP(n) : r+=1 
      end if
      c=n ' move [c]urent Point to the [n]ext Point
    next
  end if  
  return r ' return the number of clipped points in output array
end function

dim as V3 world(2)
dim as V3 clipNear(5)
dim as V3 clipFar(5)
dim as V3 camera
dim as single w
dim as integer n
dim as single x,y,sx,sy
screenres 640,480,8,2
screenset 1,0
camera.y=-10
camera.z= 100

while inkey()=""
  cls

camera.z=100+sin(w)*100

' create a rotating 3d rectangle in the X-Z plane
  for i as integer=0 to 3
    world(i).x=cos(w+i*1.57)*70 - camera.x
    world(i).y=1-camera.y
    world(i).z=sin(w+i*1.57)*70 + camera.z
  next  

' clip the rectangle at the z-nearlane
  n=ZClipNear(world(),4,clipNear())
  if n>0 then
    for i as integer=0 to n-1
      dim as integer j=(i+1) mod n
      sx=320 + (clipNear(i).x*512)/clipNear(i).z
      sy=240 + (clipNear(i).y*512)/clipNear(i).z
      x =320 + (clipNear(j).x*512)/clipNear(j).z
      y =240 + (clipNear(j).y*512)/clipNear(j).z
      line (sx,sy)-(x,y),15
      circle (sx,sy),3,15,,,,F  
    next
  end if
  flip
  sleep 10
  w+=0.01
wend
here are the camera farplane clipping code

function ZClipFar(iP() as V3,nP as integer,oP() as V3,FarPlane as single=1000.0) as integer
  if l<1 then
    if iP(c).z<FarPlane then oP(r)=iP(c) : r+=1
  else 
    c=l
    for n as integer=0 to l
      s = iP(c).z : e = iP(n).z
      if s<FarPlane andalso e<FarPlane then
        oP(r)=iP(n) : r+=1 
      elseif s>FarPlane andalso e>FarPlane then   
      ' nothing to do I like it :-)
      else
        t = (FarPlane - s)/(e - s)
        oP(r).z = FarPlane : r+=1
        if s>FarPlane then oP(r)=iP(n) : r+=1 
      end if
      c=n
    next
  end if  
  return r
end function
Last edited by D.J.Peters on Nov 13, 2017 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

Only for fun a short test of a moving nearplane :-)

Joshy

type V3
  as single x,y,z
end type  

' camera near-plane clipping 
' the nearplane normaly hard coded as 1 but for this demo implemented as param
function ZClipNear(iP() as V3,nP as integer,oP() as V3,NearPlane as single=1.0) as integer
  if l<1 then
    if iP(c).z>=NearPlane then oP(r)=iP(c) : r+=1
  else 
    c=l
    for n as integer=0 to l
      if s>=NearPlane andalso e>=NearPlane then
        oP(r)=iP(n) : r+=1 
      elseif s<NearPlane andalso e<NearPlane then   
        ' do nothing I like it :-)
      else ' clip it at near plane (normaly z=1)
        t = (NearPlane - s)/(e - s)
        oP(r).z = NearPlane : r+=1
        if s<NearPlane then oP(r)=iP(n) : r+=1 
      end if
      c=n
    next
  end if  
  return r
end function

dim as V3 world(2)
dim as V3 clipNear(5)
dim as V3 clipFar(5)
dim as V3 camera
dim as V3 a,b
dim as single w,nearplane
dim as integer n
dim as single x,y,sx,sy
screenres 640,480,8,2
screenset 1,0
camera.y=-10
camera.z= 100
a.x=-150 : a.y= 1
b.x= 150 : b.y= 1

while inkey()=""
  cls
  nearplane=100+sin(w*0.5-3.14)*99

' draw the nearplane (normaly you will never see them)
  sx=320 + ((a.x - camera.x)*512)/nearplane
  sy=240 + ((a.y - camera.y)*512)/nearplane
  x =320 + ((b.x - camera.x)*512)/nearplane
  y =240 + ((a.y - camera.y)*512)/nearplane
  line (sx,sy)-(x,y),10

' create a rotating 3d rectangle in the X-Z plane
  for i as integer=0 to 3
    world(i).x=cos(w+i*1.57)*50 - camera.x
    world(i).y=1-camera.y
    world(i).z=sin(w+i*1.57)*50 + camera.z
  next  

' clip the rectangle at the moving z-nearlane
  n=ZClipNear(world(),4,clipNear(),nearplane)
  if n>0 then
    for i as integer=0 to n-1
      dim as integer j=(i+1) mod n
      sx=320 + (clipNear(i).x*512)/clipNear(i).z
      sy=240 + (clipNear(i).y*512)/clipNear(i).z
      x =320 + (clipNear(j).x*512)/clipNear(j).z
      y =240 + (clipNear(j).y*512)/clipNear(j).z
      line (sx,sy)-(x,y),15
      circle (sx,sy),3,15,,,,F  
    next
  end if
  flip
  sleep 10
  w+=0.01
wend

xlucas

Post by xlucas »

paul doe wrote:What you say makes perfect sense in a 2D cartesian plane, but in 3D it does not. Z has almost invariably been used as the 'depth' component of the 3D coordinate tuple
I understand that and I'm willing to use a screen-based reference system if working in team, but I would like to remmark that I have a good reason for doing this way. Stunts, like Wolfenstein-3D, for example, is a 2D-map-based game. For a player, the lateral components are interchangeable, but the up/down component is different, because of gravity. Besides, only one height is possible (In Stunts, it may seem at first sight that there are two height levels, but this is a trick. Notice how not two items can be at the same X/Y. The raised elements are just displaced, but there's no actual height component in the map. Because it's 2D, it makes more sense to call the coordinates X and Y than X and Z. As I feel it, the Z actually is depth here. It's map-based depth, though, not screen-based depth. But again, this is just "philosophy", ha, ha. I've no problem with working on a screen-based system.
paul doe wrote:Not to mention that with Euler, you can only rotate about the center of the coordinate system.
This is something I still don't understand very well and have to learn. As I understood it, rotating about an axis that's not at the origin is arithmetically equivalent to displacing the world, then rotating, then optionally displacing back. Do you mean that one creates rotation matrices on-the-fly to produce rotation at uncentred axes? I kind of understand what happens in the code, but it's like I'm not understanding how one reaches the technique. I still have to digest all this :-)
paul doe wrote:It's a common misconception that matrices are the 'slower' way to do these things.
I know processors today are very fast and I've been realising how fast trigonometric functions are. I think I'll follow your advice to not caché them, since it's true it would get the code more messy for little gain. About matrix multiplication for every transformation, I'm just trying to avoid multiplications by 1 and 0 when the transformation can be performed comprehensively. I am not sure whether the processor is faster at multiplying by those factors than by others. I assume it takes exactly the same amount of time, so that the CPU can sync. Anyway, of course behind the scenes, it's the same transformation we're doing, so one could say I am indeed using matrix multiplication. Again, no problem to adopt good things that work.
D.J.Peters wrote:In your "simple" 3d math the camera is always at the origin i'm right ?
I really have no problem with advanced math, but since my rotations are already working well, I think it's not a priority to change them until I get the thing looking good. And what's looking bad is my clipping. Yes and no. You can set the camera at any location and with any rotation, but the rendering is certainly accomplished by moving and rotating objects contrary to the camera axis-offsets and angles. What I do is this:

- Load the verteces for the object I want to draw in a working array
- Move (apply anti-offsets to the coordinates) the object to its current relative position from the camera, but aligned with the world axes
- Rotate the "world" (which currently contains only that object) contrary to the camera angles
- Apply perspective, that is, work out the screen-based 2D vectors from the 3D vectors (divide by Z)
- Draw triangles and segments between the verteces
D.J.Peters wrote:A fixed camera at the origin makes near plane clipping really easy and fast.
Your demo is simple and clear. Thank you so much! It does shed some light on this for me. My concern is that segments are not the primary thing in my renderer. It's triangles. I'm currently transforming the verteces only (and clipping them) and then using these verteces to draw triangles. The problem is that you can't just clip a vertex without knowing what it is part of. Like, maybe two triangles use one same vertex, but for one of the triangles, it shouldn't been drawn at all, while the other one would have to be clipped. It means I should embed verteces in the triangles. I was hoping I could avoid that (it doubles the number of verteces I have to transform and triples the memory used for holding the objects). Another problem is that clipping a triangle means it may no longer be a triangle after the process and the routine I made paints triangles. This is going to be a pain in the butt to accomplish, he, he.
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

xlucas wrote:I understand that and I'm willing to use a screen-based reference system if working in team, but I would like to remmark that I have a good reason for doing this way. Stunts, like Wolfenstein-3D, for example, is a 2D-map-based game. For a player, the lateral components are interchangeable, but the up/down component is different, because of gravity. Besides, only one height is possible (In Stunts, it may seem at first sight that there are two height levels, but this is a trick. Notice how not two items can be at the same X/Y. The raised elements are just displaced, but there's no actual height component in the map. Because it's 2D, it makes more sense to call the coordinates X and Y than X and Z. As I feel it, the Z actually is depth here. It's map-based depth, though, not screen-based depth. But again, this is just "philosophy", ha, ha. I've no problem with working on a screen-based system.
Interesting. But that's the marvelous thing with rolling your own stuff: you don't need to limit your design to the one used in Stunts. You can make it compatible, while at the same time making it convenient if you want to pull of some other cool stunts (no pun intended) that are impossible to do with the original engine.
xlucas wrote:This is something I still don't understand very well and have to learn. As I understood it, rotating about an axis that's not at the origin is arithmetically equivalent to displacing the world, then rotating, then optionally displacing back. Do you mean that one creates rotation matrices on-the-fly to produce rotation at uncentred axes? I kind of understand what happens in the code, but it's like I'm not understanding how one reaches the technique. I still have to digest all this :-)
See viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26000&start=30 to read my (admittedly crappy) attempt to explain this to BasicCoder2 (now that I read it again, I confused my fingers in the explanation hahaha). See the code for the demo (concretely the rotateAroundAxis() method of the vec4 type (it's in vec4.bi). The code in question is this:

function rotateAroundAxis( byref v as vec4, byref axis as vec4, byval angle as single ) as vec4
    /'
    	rotate vector v around arbitrary axis for angle radians
    	it can only rotate around an axis through our object, to rotate around another axis:
    	first translate the object to the axis, then use this function, then translate back
    	in the new direction.
		'/
    if( ( v.x = 0 ) and ( v.y = 0 ) and ( v.z = 0 ) ) then
    	return vec4( 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 )
    end if

dim nAxis as vec4 = vec4( axis.x, axis.y, axis.z )
		nAxis.normalize()

'' calculate parameters of the rotation matrix
    dim as single c = cos( angle )
    dim as single s = sin( angle )
    dim as single t = 1 - c

'' multiply w with rotation matrix
    dim w as vec4

w.x = ( t * nAxis.x * nAxis.x + c ) * v.x _
        + ( t * nAxis.x * nAxis.y + s * nAxis.z ) * v.y _
        + ( t * nAxis.x * nAxis.z - s * nAxis.y ) * v.z

w.y = ( t * nAxis.x * nAxis.y - s * nAxis.z ) * v.x _
        + ( t * nAxis.y * nAxis.y + c ) * v.y _
        + ( t * nAxis.y * nAxis.z + s * nAxis.x ) * v.z

w.z = ( t * nAxis.x * nAxis.z + s * nAxis.y ) * v.x _
        + ( t * nAxis.y * nAxis.z - s * nAxis.x ) * v.y _
        + ( t * nAxis.z * nAxis.z + c ) * v.z

'' the vector has to retain its length, so it's normalized and
		'' multiplied with the original length
    w.normalize()
    w = w * v.length()

return( w )
	end function
As you can see, it multiplies the vector with a specialized rotation matrix. Compare this with dafhi's and dodicat's code in that same thread, maybe that will help you shed some light in how this actually works.
xlucas wrote:I know processors today are very fast and I've been realising how fast trigonometric functions are. I think I'll follow your advice to not caché them, since it's true it would get the code more messy for little gain. About matrix multiplication for every transformation, I'm just trying to avoid multiplications by 1 and 0 when the transformation can be performed comprehensively. I am not sure whether the processor is faster at multiplying by those factors than by others. I assume it takes exactly the same amount of time, so that the CPU can sync. Anyway, of course behind the scenes, it's the same transformation we're doing, so one could say I am indeed using matrix multiplication. Again, no problem to adopt good things that work.
Yeah, the matrices can be refactored to avoid performing redundant computation (see above). I didn't test if the compiler optimizes that or not, as the demo was coded in a hurry. Look at the main code to see how I manage things such as rotating around an arbitrary axis and what this actually means. Note that rotating about an arbitrary axis is not the same thing as rotating around an arbitrary point. CAUTION: do not confuse the two, except under confusing circumstances =D
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

@xlucas I know what you mean

for example:
a cube has 8 points 6 polygon's (6 quads or 12 triangles)
so all your scaling,moving and rotation works with this 8 points only
but before you draw the faces you have to clip it
clipping means if all points from the face are visible make only vertices from it and draw it
if clipping heppents clip the point and copy the result to a vertex and draw it
(the point self are never modifyed by the clipping)

a point decripts a 3d position only
a vector descripts a direction and length for example a face normal
a vertex decripts the clipped 3d coords x,y,z and screen x,y position and may be color and/or texture u,v coords

With other words a clipped vertex will never modify a shared point !

Joshy
xlucas

Post by xlucas »

paul doe wrote:Note that rotating about an arbitrary axis is not the same thing as rotating around an arbitrary point.
Uhmm... I'm confused. I see how one can rotate around an axis, but around a point, there's something undefined. I mean, an axis is defined by two points, say v and dw. The tranformation origin v and the tridimensional tilt dw (of which the norm will be irrelevant). But I see you provide a vector (point) that you will rotate and another vector (which I assume corresponds to v), besides a scalar angle. I start to understand how you don't need one of the three angles (because it's just a point, not a camera, so you don't need banking), but my inexperienced 3D-brain is not getting how you get the whole thing done with only one angle, ha, ha. I've been reading what you gave me and I understand that the fourth component in these matrices is redundant and is used later to facilitate perspective calculation, so it should not add data to the rotation. Am I right?
D.J.Peters wrote:if clipping heppents clip the point and copy the result to a vertex and draw it
(the point self are never modifyed by the clipping)
I've been reflecting on this in the shower... which cause me to waste a lot of water and bathroom availability time, ha, ha... but helped. I think you've understood what my concern is and I believe I now know what I have to do to fix the clipping matter in a simple way.

What I have to do, I think now, is first transform all my verteces only once each, like I've been doing. Next, I will refrain from clipping the verteces alone. Instead, I'm going to be taking the segments and triangles one by one and pushing the relevant verteces into a buffer, work on those verteces, then draw, then drop and go to the next segment/triangle.

For segments, I have to do what you guys have been telling me to do. Both points in front? Just draw. Both back? Just skip. One and one? Clip the one behind the near-clipping plane and keep the other one, then draw.

For triangles, it will be just a little bit trickier. All points in front? Draw. All back? Skip. One in front, two back? Clip the two that are behind the near-clipping plane, then draw. And now the crucial part: Two in front, one back? Split the point that's behind the clipping point in two identical points. Then, clip each of these using the two different tangents. This will produce two different new verteces and I'll have a 4-sided polygon. Split the polygon in two triangles. Draw each triangle. Voilà!

Now I have to do all this :-p
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

xlucas wrote:...This will produce two different new verteces and I'll have a 4-sided polygon. Split the polygon in two triangles. Draw each triangle. Voilà!
You are kidding me :-)
Drawing result of the clipping statge as a N sided polygon is much faster than drawing the clipped result as 2 or 3 separate triangles !

Joshy

Here are DrawPolygon() of course you can draw triangles with it also.
You can ignore Point3D and Shape3D for this demonstration.
The Point here are DrawPolygon(), ZClipNear() and Vertex3d (the clipped result)
note: The x,y screen coords are calculated inside of ZClipNear().
Screen x,y clipping are done inside of DrawPolygon().
(screen integer x,y clipping are faster than x,y floating point world clipping)

type V3  ' 3d coords   
  ' +x points right +y points up +z points forward (in the screen)
  ' It's left-handed cartesian coordinate systems 
  ' OpenGL used a right handed system where +z points backward (out the screen)
  as single x,y,z 
end type
type PV3    as V3 ptr
type V3List as PV3D ptr

type Point3D
  as V3 o ' [o]bject space (after creation or loading from disk)
  as V3 l ' [l]ocal  space (after scaling, moving and rotation at the local object origin)
  as V3 w ' [w]orld  space (after animation inside the world or if connected to a parent object)
  as V3 c ' [c]amera space (after moving and rotation of the camera)
end type
type PPoint    as Point3D ptr
type PointList as PPoint ptr

type Vertex3D
  as V3      c       ' 3d clipped coords
  as integer sx,sy   ' 2d screen coords
  as integer u,v     ' texture coords
  as integer iNormal ' index of a vertex normal (or -1 if it's a face normal)
  ' ...
end type
type PVertex    as Vertex3D ptr
type VertexList as PVertex  ptr

type Face3D
  declare constructor(i0 as integer)
  declare constructor(i0 as integer,i1 as integer)
  declare constructor(i0 as integer,i1 as integer,i2 as integer)
  declare constructor(i0 as integer,i1 as integer,i2 as integer,i3 as integer)
  declare constructor(i() as integer)
  declare operator [](index as uinteger) byref as integer
  declare function count as uinteger ' 1=point, 2=line, 3=triangle, 4=quad #=polygon
  as integer   Indicies(any)
  as PV3       Normal
end type  
constructor Face3D(i0 as integer)
  redim Indicies(0) : Indicies(0)=i0
end constructor
constructor Face3D(i0 as integer,i1 as integer)
  redim Indicies(1) : Indicies(0)=i0:Indicies(1)=i1
end constructor
constructor Face3D(i0 as integer,i1 as integer,i2 as integer)
  redim Indicies(2) : Indicies(0)=i0:Indicies(1)=i1:Indicies(2)=i2
end constructor
constructor Face3D(i0 as integer,i1 as integer,i2 as integer,i3 as integer)
  redim Indicies(3) : Indicies(0)=i0:Indicies(1)=i1:Indicies(3)=i2:Indicies(3)=i3
end constructor
constructor Face3D(ii() as integer)
  dim as integer n=ubound(ii)
  if n>-1 then
    redim Indicies(n) : for i as integer=0 to n:Indicies(i)=ii(i):next  
  end if  
end constructor
function Face3D.count as uinteger
  return ubound(Indicies)
end function
operator Face3D.[](index as uinteger) byref as integer
  operator = Indicies(index)
end operator

type Shape3D
  as integer   nPoints  
  as PointList Points
  as integer   nColors  ' 0=textured, 1=flat soild, n=gouraud shading
  as V3List    Colors   ' colors or NULL
  as any ptr   texture  ' FreeBASIC image or NULL
  as integer   nNormals ' 1=flat shaded, >1=gouraud shading 
  as V3List    Normals 
end type
type PShape3D  as Shape3D ptr
type ShapeList as PShape ptr

type Object3D
  as integer     nPoints
  as Point3D ptr pPoints
  as integer     nShapes
  as Shape3D ptr pShapes  
end type

sub CreateRGBPalette()
  dim as integer r8,g8,b8
  for i as uinteger= 0 to 255
    r8=(((i shr 5) and &H07) * 255) / 7
    g8=(((i shr 2) and &H07) * 255) / 7
    b8=(((i shr 0) and &H03) * 255) / 3
    palette i,r8,g8,b8
  next
end sub

function ZClipNear(iP() as V3,nP as integer,oP() as Vertex3D) as integer
  if l<1 then
    if iP(c).z>=1 then 
      oP(r).c=iP(c)
      oP(r).sx=320+(iP(c).x*512)/iP(c).z
      oP(r).sy=240+(iP(c).y*512)/iP(c).z
      r+=1
    end if  
  else 
    c=l
    for n as integer=0 to l
      if s>=1 andalso e>=1 then
        oP(r).c=iP(c)
        oP(r).sx=320+(iP(c).x*512)/iP(c).z
        oP(r).sy=240+(iP(c).y*512)/iP(c).z
        r+=1
      elseif s<1 andalso e<1 then   

' do nothing 
      else ' clip it at near plane z=1
        t = (1 - s)/(e - s)
        oP(r).c.x = iP(c).x + (iP(n).x - iP(c).x)*t
        oP(r).c.y = iP(c).y + (iP(n).y - iP(c).y)*t
        oP(r).c.z = 1
        oP(r).sx=320+iP(c).x*512
        oP(r).sy=240+iP(c).y*512
        r+=1
        if s<1 then 
          oP(r).c=iP(n)
          oP(r).sx=320+(iP(n).x*512)/iP(n).z
          oP(r).sy=240+(iP(n).y*512)/iP(n).z
          r+=1 
        end if  
      end if
      c=n
    next
  end if  
  return r
end function

' Returns 2 times the signed triangle area.
' The result is positive if abc is ccw, negative if abc is cw, zero if abc is degenerate.
function SignedTriangle2DArea(a as Vertex3D, b as Vertex3D,c as Vertex3D) as single
  return (a.sx - c.sx) * (b.sy - c.sy) - (a.sy - c.sy) * (b.sx - c.sx)
end function

function IsFrontface(v() as Vertex3D) as boolean
  dim as single Area2=SignedTriangle2DArea(v(0),v(2),v(1))
  return iif(Area2>0,true,false)
end function

function IsBackface(v() as Vertex3D) as boolean
  dim as single Area2=SignedTriangle2DArea(v(0),v(2),v(1))
  return iif(Area2<0,true,false)
end function

type vector2d
  as integer x,y
end type

sub FilledPolygon(TargetPtr as any ptr=0, _ ' 0 = screen otherwise image ptr
                  p()       as Vertex3d , _ ' the screen coords (x,y)
                  n         as integer  , _ ' how many coords in array
                  red       as ulong    , _ ' color
                  green     as ulong    , _
                  blue      as ulong)

static as integer palflag=0
  dim as integer TargetWidth=any,TargetHeight=any,TargetBytes=any,TargetPitch=any
  dim as integer f=any,t=any,b=any,l=any,r=any
  dim as integer lc=any,nlc=any,rc=any,nrc=any
  dim as integer d1=any,s1=any,d2=any,s2 =any,cl=any,cr=any
  dim as ubyte  c8 =any
  dim as ushort c16=any
  dim as ulong  c24=any
  dim as any ptr row=any

n-=1
  ' isn`t a triangle a quad or a polygon
  if n<2 then exit sub

if TargetPtr=0 then
    TargetPtr=screenptr() ' first pixel top left on screen
    if TargetPtr=0 then exit sub
    ScreenInfo    _
    TargetWidth , _
    TargetHeight,, _
    TargetBytes , _
    TargetPitch
  else
    ImageInfo     _
    TargetPtr   , _
    TargetWidth , _
    TargetHeight, _
    TargetBytes , _
    TargetPitch , _
    TargetPtr
  end if

select case as const TargetBytes
  case 1
    #define RGB8(_r,_g,_b) ( (_r and &HE0) or ((_g and &HE0) shr 3) or ((_b and &HC0) shr 6) )
    c8=rgb8(red,green,blue)
    #undef RGB8
  case 2
    #define RGB16(_r,_g,_b) (((_r shr 3) shl 11) or ((_g shr 2) shl 5) or (_b shr 3))
    c16=rgb16(red,green,blue)
    #undef RGB16
  case 4
    c24=rgb(red,green,blue)
  end select

' top bottom left right (clipping)
  #define mr 1000000
  t= mr: b=-mr :  l= mr : r=-mr
  #undef mr
  for nc as integer=0 to n
    with p(nc)
      if .sy<t then t=.sy:f=nc ' top
      if .sy>b then b=.sy      ' bottom
      if .sx<l then l=.sx      ' left
      if .sx>r then r=.sx      ' right
    end with
  next
  ' clip
  if l>TargetWidth-1  then exit sub  ' left is outside
  if r<0              then exit sub  ' right is outside
  if t>TargetHeight-1 then exit sub  ' top is outside
  if b<0              then exit sub  ' bottom is outside
  if (r-l)<1          then exit sub  ' 0 pixels width
  if b>TargetHeight-1 then b=TargetHeight-1 ' clip bottom
  if (b-t)<1          then exit sub  ' 0 pixels height
  ' left and next left counter
  lc=f:nlc=lc-1:if nlc<0 then nlc=n
  ' right and next right counter
  rc=f:nrc=rc+1:if nrc>n then nrc=0

'if p(nlc).x>p(nrc).x then exit sub

row=TargetPtr+t*TargetPitch

#define SHIFTS 10 ' fixed point format

' from top to bottom
  while t<b
    ' if top counter = curent left y then get next left y
    if t=p(lc).sy then
      ' ignore horizontal edge
      while p(lc).sy=p(nlc).sy
        lc=nlc:nlc-=1:if nlc<0 then nlc=n
      wend
      ' x start of the left edge
      d1=int(p(lc).sx) shl SHIFTS
      ' x step of the left edge
      s1=(int(p(nlc).sx-p(lc).sx) shl SHIFTS)/(p(nlc).sy-p(lc).sy)
      ' move from curent left edge counter to the next
      lc = nlc
    end if
    ' if top counter = curent right y then get next left y
    if t=p(rc).sy then
      ' ignore horizontal edge
      while p(rc).sy=p(nrc).sy
        rc=nrc:nrc+=1:if nrc>n then nrc=0
      wend
      ' x start of the right edge
      d2=int(p(rc).sx) shl SHIFTS
      ' x step of the right edge
      s2=(int(p(nrc).sx-p(rc).sx) shl SHIFTS)/(p(nrc).sy-p(rc).sy)
      ' move from curent right edge counter to the next
      rc=nrc
    end if
    ' if curent top in scrren
    if t>-1 then
      l=d1 shr SHIFTS ' most left  pixel
      r=d2 shr SHIFTS ' most right pixel
      if l>r then return ' !!!
      ' on screen
      if l<TargetWidth andalso r>-1 then
        if l<0 then l=0
        if r>TargetWidth-1 then r=TargetWidth-1
        select case as const TargetBytes
        case 1
          var s=cptr(ubyte ptr,row)+l
          var e=cptr(ubyte ptr,row)+r
          while s<e : *s=c8  : s+=1:wend : *e=c8
        case 2
          var s=cptr(ushort ptr,row)+l
          var e=cptr(ushort ptr,row)+r
          while s<e : *s=c16 : s+=1:wend : *e=c16
        case 4
          var s=cptr(ulong ptr,row)+l
          var e=cptr(ulong ptr,row)+r
          while s<e : *s=c24 : s+=1:wend : *e=c24
        end select
      end if
    end if
    t+=1
    d1+=s1
    d2+=s2
    row+=TargetPitch
  wend
  #undef SHIFTS
end sub

sub Scale(vo() as V3,vi() as V3,nv as integer,sx as single=1,sy as single=1,sz as single=1)
  for i as integer=0 to nv-1
    vo(i).x=vi(i).x*sx
    vo(i).y=vi(i).y*sy
    vo(i).z=vi(i).z*sz
  next  
end sub  

sub Rotate(vo() as V3, vi() as V3, nv as integer, rx as single,ry as single,rz as single)
  dim as single cx=cos(rx),cy=cos(ry),cz=cos(rz)
  dim as single sx=sin(rx),sy=sin(ry),sz=sin(rz)
  dim as single x,y,z
    y       = vi(i).y*cx - vi(i).z*sx
    z       = vi(i).y*sx + vi(i).z*cx
    x       = vi(i).x*cy + z*sy
    vo(i).z =-vi(i).x*sy + z*cy
    vo(i).x = x*cz + y*sz
    vo(i).y =-x*sz + y*cz
  next  
end sub  

sub Move(vo() as V3,vi() as V3,nv as integer,mx as single=0,my as single=0,mz as single=0)
    vo(i).x=vi(i).x+mx
    vo(i).y=vi(i).y+my
    vo(i).z=vi(i).z+mz
  next
end sub  

dim as V3 BoxPoints(7) => { _
  (-.5, .5,-.5), _
  (-.5,-.5,-.5), _
  ( .5,-.5,-.5), _
  ( .5, .5,-.5), _
  ( .5, .5, .5), _
  ( .5,-.5, .5), _
  (-.5,-.5, .5), _
  (-.5, .5, .5) }

dim as V3 BoxNormals(5) => { _
  ( 0, 0, 1), _
  ( 1, 0, 0), _
  ( 0, 0, 1), _
  (-1, 0, 0), _
  ( 0, 1, 0), _
  ( 0,-1, 0) }  

dim as integer BoxFaces(5,3) => { _
  { 0, 1, 2, 3}, _
  { 3, 2, 5, 4}, _
  { 4, 5, 6, 7}, _
  { 7, 6, 1, 0}, _
  { 7, 0, 3, 4}, _
  { 1, 6, 5, 2} }

dim as V3 obj(7)
dim as V3 world(4)
dim as Vertex3d clipped(5)
dim as V3 camera
dim as V3 a,b
dim as Vertex3d v(5)
dim as integer n
dim as single xr,yr,zr

screenres 640,480,16,2
screenset 1,0

dim as integer bytes_per_pixel
screeninfo ,,,bytes_per_pixel
if bytes_per_pixel=1 then CreateRGBPalette()

camera.x= 0
camera.y= 0
camera.z= 50

a.x=-150 : a.y= 1
b.x= 150 : b.y= 1

scale (BoxPoints(),BoxPoints(),8,10,20,30)

while inkey()=""
  cls
  rotate(obj(),BoxPoints(),8,xr,yr,zr)  
  move(obj(),obj(),8,camera.x,camera.y,camera.z)
  for fc as integer = 0 to 5
    for fi as integer = 0 to 3
      world(fi)=obj(BoxFaces(fc,fi))
    next  
    n=ZClipNear(world(),4,clipped())
    if n>0 then
      if IsFrontface(clipped())=false then FilledPolygon(,clipped(),n,50+fc*10,50+fc*10,50+fc*10)      
      'FilledPolygon(,clipped(),n,50+fc*10,50+fc*10,50+fc*10)      
    end if
  next
  flip
  sleep 1000/60
  xr+=0.01
  yr+=0.02
  zr+=0.03
wend

dodicat

Post by dodicat »

Same perspective as my previous example.
Draw the cube pixel by pixel and texture (shade) the surface.
Direct pixel clipping.
Move by mouse.
This is a 32 bit snippet.
64 bit is too slow.

Type screendata
    As Integer w,h,depth,pitch
    As Any Pointer row
End Type 

Type V3
    As Single x,y,z
    As Ulong col
    As Single grad
    As Long xi
End Type

Sub fillpolygon(a() As V3, c As Ulong,miny As Long,maxy As Long,s As screendata)
    'source of c code: http://code-heaven.blogspot.it/2009/10/simple-c-program-for-scan-line-polygon.html
    'Mostly translated by forum member Pitto
    #define ppset32(_x,_y,colour)    *Cptr(Ulong Ptr,s.row+ (_y)*s.pitch+ (_x) Shl 2)  =(colour)
    #define onscreen ((x1)>=0) Andalso ((x1)<(s.w-1)) Andalso ((y1)>=0) Andalso ((y1)<(s.h-1))
    #define map(a,b,x,c,d) ((d)-(c))*((x)-(a))/((b)-(a))+(c)
    Dim As Ubyte Ptr clr=Cptr(Ubyte Ptr,@c)
    Dim As Long r=clr[2], g=clr[1], b=clr[0]
    Static As Single f
    Dim As Long LB=Lbound(a),UB=Ubound(a)
    For i As Long=lb To Ub - 1 
        Var dy=a(i+1).y-a(i).y
        Var dx=a(i+1).x-a(i).x
        If dy=0 Then a(i).grad=1
        If dx=0 Then a(i).grad=0

If dy <> 0 Andalso dx <> 0 Then
            a(i).grad = dx / dy
        End If
    Next i

For y As Long=miny To maxy
        Var k = lb
            If ( a(i).y<=y Andalso a(i+1).y>y)  Orelse (a(i).y>y  Andalso a(i+1).y<=y) Then
                a(k).xi= (a(i).x+a(i).grad*(y-a(i).y))
                k +=1
            End If
        Next i

For j As Long = lb To k-2 -1
            For i As Long = lb +1 To k-2
                If a(i).xi > a(i+1).xi Then
                    Swap a(i).xi,a(i+1).xi
                End If
            Next i
        Next j
        Dim As Long e
        For i As Long = lb To k - 2 Step 2
            'bressenham line inlined
            Dim As Long x1= a(i).xi ,y1= y,x2=a(i+1).xi+1,y2= y
            Var dx=Abs(x2-x1),dy=0,sx=Sgn(x2-x1),sy=0
            If dx<dy Then  e=dx\2 Else e=dy\2
            Do
                If onscreen Then
                     f=map(0,s.w,x1,1,0)
                    ppset32((x1),(y1),Rgb(f*r,f*g,f*b))
                End If
                If x1 = x2 Then If y1 = y2 Then Exit Do
                If dx > dy Then
                    x1 += sx : e -= dy : If e < 0 Then e += dx : y1 += sy
                Else
                    y1 += sy : e -= dx : If e < 0 Then e += dy : x1 += sx
                End If
            Loop  
        Next i
    Next y

End Sub

Sub drawpolygon(p() As V3,i As long,s As screendata) 
    Static As Single miny=1e6,maxy=-1e6
    Static As v3 V(1 To  Ubound(p,2)+1)
    For n As long=1 To Ubound(p,2)
        If miny>p(i,n).y Then miny=p(i,n).y
        If maxy<p(i,n).y Then maxy=p(i,n).y
        V(n)=p(i,n) 
    Next
    v(Ubound(v))=v(Lbound(v))
    fillpolygon(v(),p(i,1).col,miny,maxy,s)
End Sub

Function Rotate(c As V3,p As V3,angle As V3,scale As V3=Type<V3>(1,1,1)) As V3
    Dim As Single sx=Sin(angle.x),sy=Sin(angle.y),sz=Sin(angle.z)
    Dim As Single cx=Cos(angle.x),cy=Cos(angle.y),cz=Cos(angle.z)
    Dim As Single dx=p.x-c.x,dy=p.y-c.y,dz=p.z-c.z
    Return Type<V3>((scale.x)*((cy*cz)*dx+(-cx*sz+sx*sy*cz)*dy+(sx*sz+cx*sy*cz)*dz)+c.x,_
    (scale.y)*((cy*sz)*dx+(cx*cz+sx*sy*sz)*dy+(-sx*cz+cx*sy*sz)*dz)+c.y,_
    (scale.z)*((-sy)*dx+(sx*cy)*dy+(cx*cy)*dz)+c.z,p.col)
End Function

Function perspective(p As V3,eyepoint As V3) As V3
    Dim As Single   w=1+(p.z/eyepoint.z)
    Return Type<V3>((p.x-eyepoint.x)/w+eyepoint.x,_
    (p.y-eyepoint.y)/w+eyepoint.y,_
    (p.z-eyepoint.z)/w+eyepoint.z,p.col)
End Function  

Function Regulate(Byval MyFps As long,Byref fps As long) As long
    Static As Double timervalue,lastsleeptime,t3,frames
    Var t=Timer
    frames+=1
    If (t-t3)>=1 Then t3=t:fps=frames:frames=0
    Var sleeptime=lastsleeptime+((1/myfps)-T+timervalue)*1000
    If sleeptime<1 Then sleeptime=1
    lastsleeptime=sleeptime
    timervalue=T
    Return sleeptime
End Function

Sub sort(array() As V3,painter() As long)
    For p1 As long  = 1 To Ubound(array,1) - 1
        For p2 As long  = p1 + 1 To Ubound(array,1)  
            If array(p1,0).z<array(p2,0).z Then Swap painter(p1),painter(p2):Swap array(p1,0),array(p2,0)
        Next p2
    Next p1
End Sub

Sub Expand(p() As V3,b As Single,shift As V3,i As long)
    For n As long=Lbound(p,2) To Ubound(p,2)
        p(i,n).x=b*p(i,n).x+shift.x
        p(i,n).y=b*p(i,n).y+shift.y
        p(i,n).z=b*p(i,n).z+shift.z
    Next n
End Sub
'=========================================================
'set the cube faces on (0,0,0) as centre
Dim As V3 g1(1 To ...,1 To ...)={{(-1,-1,-1),(1,-1,-1),(1,1,-1),(-1,1,-1)},_'front
                                {(1,-1,-1),(1,-1,1),(1,1,1),(1,1,-1)},_ 'right
                                {(-1,-1,1),(1,-1,1),(1,1,1),(-1,1,1)},_'back
                                {(-1,-1,-1),(-1,-1,1),(-1,1,1),(-1,1,-1)},_'left
                                {(1,1,-1),(1,1,1),(-1,1,1),(-1,1,-1)},_'top
                                {(1,-1,-1),(1,-1,1),(-1,-1,1),(-1,-1,-1)}}'base
'set colours,save in 1st. index
Randomize 2
#define clr rgb(rnd*255,rnd*255,rnd*200)
g1(1,1).col=clr:g1(2,1).col=clr:g1(3,1).col=clr:g1(4,1).col=clr:g1(5,1).col=clr:g1(6,1).col=clr
Dim As V3 tmp1(1 To Ubound(g1,1),0 To Ubound(g1,2))'the working array

Screen 20,32
Dim As screendata S
With S
    Screeninfo .w,.h,.depth,,.pitch
    .row=Screenptr
End With
'blow up and translate the cube to screen centre
For i As long=Lbound(g1,1) To Ubound(g1,1)
    Expand (g1(),180,Type<v3>(s.w\2,s.h\2,0),i)
Next i

Dim As V3 eye= Type<V3>(s.w\2,s.h\2,800)  
Dim As String i
Dim As V3 angle
Dim As V3 fulcrum=Type<V3>(s.w\2,s.h\2,0)            ' middle of cube
Dim As long mx,my,button,fps,flag
Dim As long painter(1 To 6)
For n As long=1 To 6:painter(n)=n:Next n
    Dim As long cx,cy,cz                     'centriods
    Do
        Getmouse mx,my,,button

i=Inkey
        angle.x+=.01/2
        angle.y+=.02/2
        angle.z+=.03/2

For m As long=Lbound(g1,1) To Ubound(g1,1)
            cx=0:cy=0:cz=0
            For n As long=1 To Ubound(g1,2)
                tmp1(m,n)=Rotate(fulcrum,g1(m,n),angle)
                tmp1(m,n)=perspective(tmp1(m,n),eye)  'apply the eye (perspective)
                If button Then'follow the mouse
                    tmp1(m,n).x+=mx-s.w\2
                    tmp1(m,n).y+=my-s.h\2
                End If
                'accumulate cx,cy,cz
                cx+=tmp1(m,n).x:cy+=tmp1(m,n).y:cz+=tmp1(m,n).z
            Next n
            cx=cx/4:cy=cy/4:cz=cz/4
            'get face centroid into zero'th index
            tmp1(m,0)=Type<v3>(cx,cy,cz)
        Next m
        'sort the faces by centriods
        sort(tmp1(),painter())
        Screenlock
        Cls
        Draw String(10,30),"Frame Rate = " & fps
        Locate 6,0
        Print "Painting order"
        For n As long=1 To 6:Print "face  "; painter(n):Next n 
            For z As long=Lbound(tmp1,1)+3 To Ubound(tmp1,1)'Paint only the closest three faces
                Var p=painter(z)
                Select Case p
                Case 1: drawpolygon(tmp1(),p,s):Locate 7,12:Print "texture"
                Case 2: drawpolygon(tmp1(),p,s):Locate 8,12:Print "texture"
                Case 3: drawpolygon(tmp1(),p,s):Locate 9,12:Print "texture"
                Case 4: drawpolygon(tmp1(),p,s):Locate 10,12:Print "texture"
                Case 5: drawpolygon(tmp1(),p,s):Locate 11,12:Print "texture"
                Case 6: drawpolygon(tmp1(),p,s):Locate 12,12:Print "texture"
                End Select
            Next z
            Screenunlock
            'reset painter
                Sleep regulate(80,fps),1
            Loop Until i=Chr(27)
            Sleep

fatman2021

Post by fatman2021 »

dodicat wrote:Same perspective as my previous example.
Draw the cube pixel by pixel and texture (shade) the surface.
Direct pixel clipping.
Move by mouse.
This is a 32 bit snippet.
64 bit is too slow.

Type screendata
    As Integer w,h,depth,pitch
    As Any Pointer row
End Type 

Type V3
    As Single x,y,z
    As Ulong col
    As Single grad
    As Long xi
End Type

Sub fillpolygon(a() As V3, c As Ulong,miny As Long,maxy As Long,s As screendata)
    'source of c code: http://code-heaven.blogspot.it/2009/10/simple-c-program-for-scan-line-polygon.html
    'Mostly translated by forum member Pitto
    #define ppset32(_x,_y,colour)    *Cptr(Ulong Ptr,s.row+ (_y)*s.pitch+ (_x) Shl 2)  =(colour)
    #define onscreen ((x1)>=0) Andalso ((x1)<(s.w-1)) Andalso ((y1)>=0) Andalso ((y1)<(s.h-1))
    #define map(a,b,x,c,d) ((d)-(c))*((x)-(a))/((b)-(a))+(c)
    Dim As Ubyte Ptr clr=Cptr(Ubyte Ptr,@c)
    Dim As Long r=clr[2], g=clr[1], b=clr[0]
    Static As Single f
    Dim As Long LB=Lbound(a),UB=Ubound(a)
        Var dy=a(i+1).y-a(i).y
        Var dx=a(i+1).x-a(i).x
        If dy=0 Then a(i).grad=1
        If dx=0 Then a(i).grad=0

If dy <> 0 Andalso dx <> 0 Then
            a(i).grad = dx / dy
        End If
    Next i

For y As Long=miny To maxy
        Var k = lb
            If ( a(i).y<=y Andalso a(i+1).y>y)  Orelse (a(i).y>y  Andalso a(i+1).y<=y) Then
                a(k).xi= (a(i).x+a(i).grad*(y-a(i).y))
                k +=1
            End If
        Next i

For j As Long = lb To k-2 -1
            For i As Long = lb +1 To k-2
                If a(i).xi > a(i+1).xi Then
                    Swap a(i).xi,a(i+1).xi
                End If
            Next i
        Next j
        Dim As Long e
        For i As Long = lb To k - 2 Step 2
            'bressenham line inlined
            Dim As Long x1= a(i).xi ,y1= y,x2=a(i+1).xi+1,y2= y
            Var dx=Abs(x2-x1),dy=0,sx=Sgn(x2-x1),sy=0
            If dx<dy Then  e=dx\2 Else e=dy\2
            Do
                If onscreen Then
                     f=map(0,s.w,x1,1,0)
                    ppset32((x1),(y1),Rgb(f*r,f*g,f*b))
                End If
                If x1 = x2 Then If y1 = y2 Then Exit Do
                If dx > dy Then
                    x1 += sx : e -= dy : If e < 0 Then e += dx : y1 += sy
                Else
                    y1 += sy : e -= dx : If e < 0 Then e += dy : x1 += sx
                End If
            Loop  
        Next i
    Next y

End Sub

Sub drawpolygon(p() As V3,i As long,s As screendata) 
    Static As Single miny=1e6,maxy=-1e6
    Static As v3 V(1 To  Ubound(p,2)+1)
    For n As long=1 To Ubound(p,2)
        If miny>p(i,n).y Then miny=p(i,n).y
        If maxy<p(i,n).y Then maxy=p(i,n).y
        V(n)=p(i,n) 
    Next
    v(Ubound(v))=v(Lbound(v))
    fillpolygon(v(),p(i,1).col,miny,maxy,s)
End Sub

Function Rotate(c As V3,p As V3,angle As V3,scale As V3=Type<V3>(1,1,1)) As V3
    Dim As Single sx=Sin(angle.x),sy=Sin(angle.y),sz=Sin(angle.z)
    Dim As Single cx=Cos(angle.x),cy=Cos(angle.y),cz=Cos(angle.z)
    Dim As Single dx=p.x-c.x,dy=p.y-c.y,dz=p.z-c.z
    Return Type<V3>((scale.x)*((cy*cz)*dx+(-cx*sz+sx*sy*cz)*dy+(sx*sz+cx*sy*cz)*dz)+c.x,_
    (scale.y)*((cy*sz)*dx+(cx*cz+sx*sy*sz)*dy+(-sx*cz+cx*sy*sz)*dz)+c.y,_
    (scale.z)*((-sy)*dx+(sx*cy)*dy+(cx*cy)*dz)+c.z,p.col)
End Function

Function perspective(p As V3,eyepoint As V3) As V3
    Dim As Single   w=1+(p.z/eyepoint.z)
    Return Type<V3>((p.x-eyepoint.x)/w+eyepoint.x,_
    (p.y-eyepoint.y)/w+eyepoint.y,_
    (p.z-eyepoint.z)/w+eyepoint.z,p.col)
End Function  

Function Regulate(Byval MyFps As long,Byref fps As long) As long
    Static As Double timervalue,lastsleeptime,t3,frames
    Var t=Timer
    frames+=1
    If (t-t3)>=1 Then t3=t:fps=frames:frames=0
    Var sleeptime=lastsleeptime+((1/myfps)-T+timervalue)*1000
    If sleeptime<1 Then sleeptime=1
    lastsleeptime=sleeptime
    timervalue=T
    Return sleeptime
End Function

Sub sort(array() As V3,painter() As long)
    For p1 As long  = 1 To Ubound(array,1) - 1
        For p2 As long  = p1 + 1 To Ubound(array,1)  
            If array(p1,0).z<array(p2,0).z Then Swap painter(p1),painter(p2):Swap array(p1,0),array(p2,0)
        Next p2
    Next p1
End Sub

Sub Expand(p() As V3,b As Single,shift As V3,i As long)
    For n As long=Lbound(p,2) To Ubound(p,2)
        p(i,n).x=b*p(i,n).x+shift.x
        p(i,n).y=b*p(i,n).y+shift.y
        p(i,n).z=b*p(i,n).z+shift.z
    Next n
End Sub
'=========================================================
'set the cube faces on (0,0,0) as centre
Dim As V3 g1(1 To ...,1 To ...)={{(-1,-1,-1),(1,-1,-1),(1,1,-1),(-1,1,-1)},_'front
                                {(1,-1,-1),(1,-1,1),(1,1,1),(1,1,-1)},_ 'right
                                {(-1,-1,1),(1,-1,1),(1,1,1),(-1,1,1)},_'back
                                {(-1,-1,-1),(-1,-1,1),(-1,1,1),(-1,1,-1)},_'left
                                {(1,1,-1),(1,1,1),(-1,1,1),(-1,1,-1)},_'top
                                {(1,-1,-1),(1,-1,1),(-1,-1,1),(-1,-1,-1)}}'base
'set colours,save in 1st. index
Randomize 2
#define clr rgb(rnd*255,rnd*255,rnd*200)
g1(1,1).col=clr:g1(2,1).col=clr:g1(3,1).col=clr:g1(4,1).col=clr:g1(5,1).col=clr:g1(6,1).col=clr
Dim As V3 tmp1(1 To Ubound(g1,1),0 To Ubound(g1,2))'the working array

Screen 20,32
Dim As screendata S
With S
    Screeninfo .w,.h,.depth,,.pitch
    .row=Screenptr
End With
'blow up and translate the cube to screen centre
For i As long=Lbound(g1,1) To Ubound(g1,1)
    Expand (g1(),180,Type<v3>(s.w\2,s.h\2,0),i)
Next i

Dim As V3 eye= Type<V3>(s.w\2,s.h\2,800)  
Dim As String i
Dim As V3 angle
Dim As V3 fulcrum=Type<V3>(s.w\2,s.h\2,0)            ' middle of cube
Dim As long mx,my,button,fps,flag
Dim As long painter(1 To 6)
    Dim As long cx,cy,cz                     'centriods
    Do
        Getmouse mx,my,,button

i=Inkey
        angle.x+=.01/2
        angle.y+=.02/2
        angle.z+=.03/2

For m As long=Lbound(g1,1) To Ubound(g1,1)
            cx=0:cy=0:cz=0
            For n As long=1 To Ubound(g1,2)
                tmp1(m,n)=Rotate(fulcrum,g1(m,n),angle)
                tmp1(m,n)=perspective(tmp1(m,n),eye)  'apply the eye (perspective)
                If button Then'follow the mouse
                    tmp1(m,n).x+=mx-s.w\2
                    tmp1(m,n).y+=my-s.h\2
                End If
                'accumulate cx,cy,cz
                cx+=tmp1(m,n).x:cy+=tmp1(m,n).y:cz+=tmp1(m,n).z
            Next n
            cx=cx/4:cy=cy/4:cz=cz/4
            'get face centroid into zero'th index
            tmp1(m,0)=Type<v3>(cx,cy,cz)
        Next m
        'sort the faces by centriods
        sort(tmp1(),painter())
        Screenlock
        Cls
        Draw String(10,30),"Frame Rate = " & fps
        Locate 6,0
        Print "Painting order"
        For n As long=1 To 6:Print "face  "; painter(n):Next n 
            For z As long=Lbound(tmp1,1)+3 To Ubound(tmp1,1)'Paint only the closest three faces
                Var p=painter(z)
                Select Case p
                Case 1: drawpolygon(tmp1(),p,s):Locate 7,12:Print "texture"
                Case 2: drawpolygon(tmp1(),p,s):Locate 8,12:Print "texture"
                Case 3: drawpolygon(tmp1(),p,s):Locate 9,12:Print "texture"
                Case 4: drawpolygon(tmp1(),p,s):Locate 10,12:Print "texture"
                Case 5: drawpolygon(tmp1(),p,s):Locate 11,12:Print "texture"
                Case 6: drawpolygon(tmp1(),p,s):Locate 12,12:Print "texture"
                End Select
            Next z
            Screenunlock
            'reset painter
                Sleep regulate(80,fps),1
            Loop Until i=Chr(27)
            Sleep

Well done. This program also runs in DOS.
xlucas

Post by xlucas »

Thank you, guys. I'm really surprised about the speed in both examples, just using direct access to paint each pixel. I was thinking of replacing my triangle drawing functions with assembly ones, so I could use as many rep movsd's as possible and if calculations needed to be made between a pixel and the next, do it in registers, but pure FreeBasic seems to be more than enough, even pixel by pixel!

I'm still analysing both. Let me tell you it's hard to digest. I had figured the fastest way to draw a polygon was by dividing it in triangles, because a triangle is fast to draw. For an arbitrary polygon, I need to detect concavity and sides crossing each other and I thought calculating this would end up eating so much time that just drawing the triangles would be faster. But looks like it's not the case. And precisely because I wouldn't have come yet with a way of doing, I'm not understanding what the code does easily... yet... I have to learn to read other people's code. It's important. I've been a lone programmer for a long time.