Coding challenges?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
MrSwiss

Re: Coding challenges?

Post by MrSwiss »

paul doe wrote:That's odd. I have Win10 too. I use FBEdit and so far, had no trouble at all
Exactly the same here.

@dodicat,
do you have the latest ver. of FBEdit: 1.0.7.6c, earlier versions, are known, to give hassles/troubles.
e.g. : ver. 1.0.6.8 <-- bad news (even before Win10!)
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

Apparently the blue screen of death can occur during compulsory Windows 10 updates (which you apparently disable at the risk of not having a security update) if the computer is turned off (such as by a power outage). Fortunately I had learned to frequently save my files independently of the computer so all my pictures and other files were safe.

Not being able to delete a file has something to do with security but no warning is given that it could happen and after googling none of the "solutions" have worked yet. No explanation why it happened in the first place or how to avoid it in future.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

Yea, Mr Swiss/Paul Doe, I have that version.
I have it directly on C:
Otherwise it doesn't work at all.
Even on C:, sometimes fbedit works, then sometimes it fails.
It is unpredictable, so I don't use it.
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

dodicat wrote:It is unpredictable, so I don't use it.
I started using it in a P4 with XP, then moved to a Win7 box (which fried last year), and I migrated the very same one to my Win10 laptop. Never had any trouble, that's why I found it so strange =D
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

dodicat wrote:Program Files seems to be blocked in Win 10.
(For myself, too much hassle to unblock it, I just avoid it)
Many things don't work well on Win 10.
After a lot of googling and experimenting the folders storing my FreeBASIC programs and the files themselves remained blocked so today I took the computer back to the retailer telling them Windows 10 wasn't working correctly. When I showed them the issue they blamed FreeBASIC saying I must make sure I am downloading the Windows 10 version of FreeBASIC for a 64 bit computer. To cut a long story short they agreed wipe and restore the Window 10 software so I will see how that works when they are done. Installing software apparently can only be done by the Administrator and the installing software they claimed will ask for such permission. Also they said I must download the 64 bit version of any software package but how do you then use software for which there is only a 32 bit version?
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

The 32 bit freebasic works well on 64 bit Win 10.
But as I said, actually installing software from a .exe should be avoided if possible.
All of the little apps I have gathered up (7-Zip-portable, Dev-C++ portable, FreeBASIC, fbide ... ) have been expanded from .zip files into desktop folders.
The only exception is fbedit which I expanded on the C: drive (It didn't work from the desktop).

Another point, Avira antivirus is very fussy.
I had to make exceptions for fbidetemp.exe,fbc.exe,gcc.exe otherwise it does a virus scan each run (about 20 seconds).

Why don't you create a folder then see if you can delete it.
Then unzip FreeBASIC into it then delete it.
Just make sure you get one step ahead of Win 10 so you are in charge, and not it.
Like a thought in your head.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

dodicat wrote:But as I said, actually installing software from a .exe should be avoided if possible.
How I do it is I download FBIde.4.6r4-FreeBASIC0.23.exe and run it installing it in C:\FreeBasic. I then download the latest version of FreeBasic and install it in the same folder.

There was no antivirus software installed I was relying on Windows security.

Yes I will experiment now I have a clean reinstall of window 10 but first I will read up about Administrators accounts and folder ownership.

BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

BasicCoder2 wrote:
dodicat wrote:But as I said, actually installing software from a .exe should be avoided if possible.
But isn't an installer an .exe file?

With FreeBASIC I download FBIde.4.6r4-FreeBASIC0.23.exe installer. I then download the latest version of FreeBasic and install it in the same folder.

My current understanding is that anything created by a user account can only be modified by that user account or by the Administrator account. Probably that was my delete issue. Anyway I have some work to do learning how Windows 10 handles accounts.

I now have a clean install of window 10 so I can start again.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

My advice, use the freebasic .zip download and expand it into a desktop folder.

Same with fbide.

Don't use any of the .exe installers, they will expand the files to your Program files folder, which is to be avoided.
Win 10 will unzip any file, right click it and choose extract all.

That's my advice anyway.