File Browser

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
bcohio2001

Re: File Browser

Post by bcohio2001 »

So far so good.

IMHO: Selection should be done by mouse click/enter key. Accidental selection by scrolling bogs program down.

Major issue that I have is displaying any "System" folders. They are "Hidden" for a reason.
One of the first folders listed on my "Drive C:" is "$Recycle Bin". There is no reason to display this.
And upon activating it opened other items which were too long for the folder area.

Also there is a minor issue with trying to access a "DVD/CD" drive that has no disk in it.
I was given a "system" dialog with "Try again", "Cancel" and one other button that I can not remember.

Displaying a file that has more lines than able to display did not give me a scroll option in either direction.
Also the tabs were not expanded. Got a symbol resembling "o".

Just noticed that only read first 30 lines with a "Line Input".

I notice something that I will now use. Sending a -1 for "all attributes"!

Code: Select all

g = Dir(path + "\*", -1, @out_attr)
Also the "Copy/Paste" problem was because of using IE10 (Edge). Pastes fine with using older version. Have not tested this issue with Chrome.
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

bcohio2001 wrote:Also there is a minor issue with trying to access a "DVD/CD" drive that has no disk in it.
I was given a "system" dialog with "Try again", "Cancel" and one other button that I can not remember.
This is NOT an issue, since it is a "removable device" (similar to: USB-Card-Reader, etc.),
aka: OS default behavior. It gives you the opportunity, to remedy, the current state =
"empty drive", or "no Media present".
bcohio2001

Post by bcohio2001 »

Still annoying for me though.

Have you thought about when user changes disks in such instance?

This can be checked with the window's API, but am assuming that you want to keep it platform independent.
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

bcohio2001 wrote:This can be checked with the window's API, but am assuming that you want to keep it platform independent.
Not quite possible, because: Windows has Drive-Letters, Linux doesn't (all expands from root).
bcohio2001 wrote:Have you thought about when user changes disks in such instance?
If you change the "medium" (CD/DVD, Flash-Card, etc.) while the pop-up is active and, then press "continue",
the new "medium" is read and the Drive will be recognised ... (otherwise, just click "cancel").

This is tested: see first page, of this thread.
bcohio2001

Post by bcohio2001 »

Phrased wrong.
I meant that if user changes CD after program starts.
Imagine that user has a CD in drive and discovers that not one that he wants and changes it.
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

bcohio2001 wrote:I meant that if user changes CD after program starts.
Iirc, it'll ask you to put the "original" back in (the Drive).
Don't take my word for it (it's an educated guess, no more).
Stuff, like this, should be double-checked on: "msdn.microsoft.com" (since they've manufactured it).
bcohio2001

Post by bcohio2001 »

Just tested.

No disk in CD and hit 'Continue'. (Only listed my hard drive.)
I put CD in and did not update.
Closed and re-ran program and showed CD.
Changed CD. And did not update to NEW CD. No message given.