exemple buttons and msgbox

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
Trinity

Re: exemple buttons and msgbox

Post by Trinity »

Josep Roca wrote:Both Paul and I have expertise with the Windows API after working during many years with the PowerBasic compiler, but we don't have expertise with Linux or other systems.
Thank you.
Personally then I have zero knowledge with all the RAD stuff , except the "VISG" which I had to download and unpack to make sure that it were OK so that OP could use it (it looked OK to me).
My reason for making any suggestions at all were two fold. 1) because the OP seem to think that Paul's program(s) had virus in it (which of course I expect that they have not) and 2) because I thought that the OP looked like not knowing enough about what is available and what alternatives there is.
I am in no way suggesting that I have the experience with FB that many other people here have (including you, Paul, MrSwiss and others)
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

@Trinity,
I was not referring to your answer to OP, but the one, to Carlos Herrera ...
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

MrSwiss wrote:There is the newer WinFBE by Paul Squires (also Windows), currently without Designer
MrSwiss wrote:@Trinity,
I was not referring to your answer to OP, but the one, to Carlos Herrera ...
Well , from your earlier post regarding WinFBE I had difficulty seeing that questions about "designer" (RAD) improvements were to be addressed to the WinBFE thread. And also I were not aware the Paul did not attend to the FireFly thread anymore.
Anyway , I am aware that Paul are working on some RAD implementation , I were just not aware that he addressed RAD features in the WinFBE thread now.
But apparently so , thanks !
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

Trinity wrote:And also I were not aware the Paul did not attend to the FireFly thread anymore.
I didn't say, that he isn't looking at it, merely tried to point out that:
he is currently working (coding) on a Designer, that is to be part of WinFBE.

To make it similar to FBEdit (which has a built in Resource Editor) ... this
allows to graphically define the appearance of a: e.g. Dialog, among other,
more general resources: ICON, Version management, Project handling ...

Btw: the term RAD, means different things, to different people.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Yes , the term RAD, certainly means different things, to different people. : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAD
However , to me it generally means "Rapid-application development (RAD)" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_app ... evelopment ) - well ,actually , to be more precise, then mostly I uses RAD software as a name for Rapid-application development environment software/tools in general - I am not so well versed in the lingo of the modern developers ;-)
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

I am only reading this thread now. Sorry for joining it late. José Roca is 100% correct for why I am writing WinFBE. I am a Windows programmer. I wish I was interested in cross platform but I am not and at this stage of my programming career I doubt that I ever will be. José has developed an awesome library (WinFBX) of code that is IMHO unparalleled and unmatched to any other FB developed Windows based library available. I have used that library to write the WinFBE editor. The library is a must have for FB Windows programmers. It has hundreds upon hundreds of functions. I can not endorse it enough. :-)

Mr Swiss is also correct that I am writing a visual designer to be incorporated into WinFBE. Fortunately for me, I can leverage my knowledge of having written the FireFly Visual Designer over the past decade so I am not totally reinventing everything from scratch and I can learn from that old code and improve upon it.

The long term goal is to totally phase out FireFly Visual Designer in favour of WinFBE.... and that is a good thing.

If you have any questions about any of this then certainly please let me know here or stop over on my forum and share there. http://www.planetsquires.com
Carlos Herrera

Post by Carlos Herrera »

MrSwiss wrote: the code generated, will still be Windows only ... (no multiplatform).
Yes I know and after Paul's declaration the discussion is purely academic,
but imagine hypothetical Designer which contains JDPeters FLTK library
(in a similar way as WinFBE contains library of Jose Roca).
Generated program code will be still windows only, however, with a relatively little help
of some good soul, it can be modified and recompiled at Linux platform.
Am I right?
Josep Roca

Post by Josep Roca »

Such hypothetical designer should be written by people interested in using FLTK.
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

Carlos Herrera wrote:Generated program code will be still windows only, however, with a relatively little help
of some good soul, it can be modified and recompiled at Linux platform. Am I right?
I'd say NO, because: you seem to underestimate the complexities involved ...

FBC - Win <> FBC - Lin (independent of: bitness), they generate OS specific, binaries!

You'd need a Designer that: outputs FB/FLTK source code, to achieve, what you've got in mind.
(this could then be compiled with FBC - "OS", aka: 'platform independent source code')
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

Yes if you use the FLTK-c GUI your compiled Windows program will run on Windows XP, 7, 8, Vista and 10 also
and you can compile the same source code for Linux including some ARM devices like the Raspbery PI's.

For Windows and Linux you can compile 32/64-bit apps and on ARM 32-bit.

Joshy
Carlos Herrera

Post by Carlos Herrera »

Ah, I see. Function like e.g. Fl_BoxNew () is invented by Mr Peters
and defined in his fltk-c library, which is at the moment compiled for windows only.
Confusion will be my epitaph...
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

Carlos Herrera wrote:fltk-c library, which is at the moment compiled for windows only.
Who told you fltk-c is a Windows only package ?

fltk-c for FreeBASIC is compiled for:

Windows 32/64-bit
fltk-c-1.3.3-32.dll
fltk-c-1.3.3-64.dll

Linux 32/64-bit
libfltk-c-1.3.3-32.so
libfltk-c-1.3.3-64.so

ARM 32-bit:
libfltk-c-1.3.3-32-arm.so

It's all included in one file: fltk-c-1.3.3.zip
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24547

Joshy
Boris the Old

Post by Boris the Old »

And it works very well.

We're converting all our business applications from PowerBasic (Windows only) to FreeBasic/FLTK (Linux and Windows). We do all our programming using Linux, and just compile our source code, as needed, with either the Linux or Windows compiler.

We are truly cross-platform.

Thanks, Joshy, for the FLTK library.
Carlos Herrera

Post by Carlos Herrera »

D.J.Peters wrote: Who told you fltk-c is a Windows only package ?
Mr_Swiss did, but never mind. I am impressed by your achievements
and I am going to learn more about fltk-c.
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

Carlos Herrera wrote:Mr_Swiss did, but never mind.
Not true, I was talking about binaries, created using FBC-Win.
(you seem to, easily, confuse things ...)