Demo section for forum?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
BasicCoder2

Demo section for forum?

Post by BasicCoder2 »

It strikes me that none of the sections are really suitable for the demo scene that can show off what can be done with FB in the right hands. Instead all the demos are spread over the other sections.
David Watson

Re: Demo section for forum?

Post by David Watson »

A Demo section below Game Dev would be a good idea.

I've just played with your Saturn demo and its very good.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

@David Watson,
You may want to copy/paste and play with it again as I have just fixed the rotation bug!!
The axes must move with the planet, they are not absolute coordinates.
Dodicat has mastered the 3D math in his demos but I still have to get up to speed including making the code run faster.
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

BasicCoder2 wrote:Instead all the demos are spread over the other sections.
I like the idea, but would be hard pressed, to decide where exactly to place it ...
(probably without increasing number of main-topics)?

GameDev has IMHO, more *weight*, than justified nowadays (may be different, from the *old days*).

So I'd suggest: DEMO section (instead of GameDev - more versatile) and, GameDev new, below DEMO,
keeping the same amount of different main-topics, as currently is.
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

I fully agree with BasicCoder2, for I dreadfully miss something like Code-Beispiele (code examples) or Projektvorstellungen (project presentations) of the german site.
fatman2021

Post by fatman2021 »

A Demoscene section would be better. A section in which people would be really encouraged to write programs that pushes their hardware to the limit like the old Amiga, Atari ST, and DOS demos did.
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Hi, BasicCoder2
BasicCoder2 wrote:@David Watson,
You may want to copy/paste and play with it again as I have just fixed the rotation bug!!
The axes must move with the planet, they are not absolute coordinates.
Dodicat has mastered the 3D math in his demos but I still have to get up to speed including making the code run faster.
The demo section is certainly a good idea. It's becoming increasingly difficult to find things, as the sections are becoming very bloated.

Speaking of demos, I'm preparing something specifically for you, as you are dabbling in 3D code. It's taking me longer that I've anticipated, because I must unplug a lot of code (mostly OpenGL stuff), un-optimize it (so you are able to grasp how it works), and refactor it to be easy to read and understand.

We (me, and other coders whom I generally work with) use it as a testbed for concepts, and for debugging (mostly math-heavy stuff, like collision detection/response, intersections and all sort of computational geometry), so I think that you and others that want to study 3D stuff could potentially find it very useful. As soon as I'm done, I'll give you a shout.

Paul
ecxjoe

Post by ecxjoe »

This has my vote. Demo Section ftw!