FbEdit, new IDE for FreeBASIC written in FreeBASIC

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
andykmv

Re: FbEdit

Post by andykmv »

i installed tortoise svn and i may have just used it improperly. got the sources ok now.
had to install masm32, mingw for windres, and radasm from the sources. modified make.bat to suit and compile result so far:
MakeLog:
compiling: Src\FbEditLNG.bas -o FbEditLNG.c (main module)
Src\FbEditLNG.bas(37) warning 3(1): Passing different pointer types, at parameter 4 of READFILE()
Src\FbEditLNG.bas(73) warning 3(1): Passing different pointer types, at parameter 4 of WRITEFILE()
Src\FbEditLNG.bas(148) error 28: Expected pointer, before ')' in 'DialogBoxParam(hInstance,Cast(ZString Ptr,id),hWin,@DumpDlgProc,id)'
Src\FbEditLNG.bas(187) error 28: Expected pointer, before ')' in 'DialogBoxParam(hInstance,Cast(ZString Ptr,id),hWin,@TestDlgProc,id)'

got a bit more work to do.
St_W

Post by St_W »

hm, you must be doing something wrong. I just tried to build the latest version with the latest fbc (1.05) and had no such problem. However I had to adjust the build script to get it working (another problem) and committed a fix (so please run "svn up").

Some notes:
- you'll need 32-bit fbc + gcc (for -gen gcc)
- you've to copy the header/libraries from "Requisite" folder to your FB installation
- run collect.bat to collect all the build artifacts and copy them to the "build" directory
andykmv

Post by andykmv »

St_W wrote:hm, you must be doing something wrong. I just tried to build the latest version with the latest fbc (1.05) and had no such problem.
aha! that is most likely my problem:
R:\Data_PApps\FreeBASIC>fbc -version
FreeBASIC Compiler - Version 0.23.0 (08-14-2011) for win32 (target:win32)

(smacks forehead) thought i was using latest 64bit but never checked....time to reinstall!
andykmv

Post by andykmv »

St_W wrote:.....Some notes:
- you'll need 32-bit fbc + gcc (for -gen gcc)
- you've to copy the header/libraries from "Requisite" folder to your FB installation
- run collect.bat to collect all the build artifacts and copy them to the "build" directory
ok, installed freebasic 1.05.0 (fresh download), but no gcc.exe in the bin folder. i did notice there was one in the bin folder in the x64 zip file though.
I do have mingw installed, so it should have found the gcc for that as it is in the path env var. "path ....;c:\mingw;c:\mingw\bin"

ran a compile and i get the error:
*** build FBEdit ***
skipped
*** compiling modules ***
*** ERROR - Batch terminated ***
and at the bottom of the make.log:
Src\ZStringHandling.bas() error 90: Executable not found: "C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeBASIC\bin\win32\gcc.exe"

i do have mingw installed incl gcc, if i do this:
C:\Users\andy>gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 5.3.0
Copyright (C) 2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

so I did a search of the fbedit source directory and got:
Search "' module compile with: -gen gcc" (1 hit in 1 file)
R:\Data\Develop\FBEDIT\1080_freebasic.net.de\Code\FbEdit\Src\ZStringHandling.bas (1 hit)
Line 3: ' module compile with: -gen gcc -O2

i have researched a bit and i am unclear on wether i need to add a fbc gcc addin, mangle the mingw gcc stuff into the fbc win32 folder or something else. (head scratching)
fxm

Post by fxm »

The gcc files to install in \bin\win32\ and \bin\libexec\ can be found here:
download gcc-5.2.0-for-FB-win32-gengcc.zip - 32bit gcc for the FB-win32 package, in case you want to use -gen gcc
(link being at page: Version 1.05.0 released)
andykmv

Post by andykmv »

@fxm and @St_W - many thanks to you both!~finally got it to compile with your combined efforts :) the result refers to svn rev 79 rather than the v81 updates from ST_W, not sure why! but, i now have a starting point for my application :) whoo hoo!
fxm wrote:The gcc files to install in \bin\win32\ and \bin\libexec\ can be found here:
download gcc-5.2.0-for-FB-win32-gengcc.zip - 32bit gcc for the FB-win32 package, in case you want to use -gen gcc
(link being at page: Version 1.05.0 released)
St_W

Post by St_W »

andykmv wrote:the result refers to svn rev 79 rather than the v81 updates from ST_W, not sure why!
I don't know, but maybe that text is just hardcoded and does not actually fetch the current SVN version. Finding out where and how that text is set/displayed and how to change it could be a first (and probably quite easy) challenge to look into the FBedit code.
UR_

Post by UR_ »

Hello andykmv,

i think you triggered a bug in Make.bat.
GetSVNRev.bat was correctly executed if called from FbEdit's build engine, but if you are compiling external by make.bat SVNVersion.bi was not updated.
This is fixed in SVN now.
andykmv

Post by andykmv »

St_W wrote:
andykmv wrote:the result refers to svn rev 79 rather than the v81 updates from ST_W, not sure why!
I don't know, but maybe that text is just hardcoded and does not actually fetch the current SVN version. Finding out where and how that text is set/displayed and how to change it could be a first (and probably quite easy) challenge to look into the FBedit code.
looking into the make.bat and getsvnrev.bat scripts where subwcrev.exe is used to query the repository for the version no, if rev 83 was only a deletion of a few files, does tortoisesvn's subwcrev tool not consider that a "commit" and therefore return 82 instead of 83 ?

if that were the case, and if i were to compile revision 48 using make.bat , would the version obtained by the getsvnrev.bat script therefore be 47 ?
UR_

Post by UR_ »

Hello andykmv,

subwcrev.exe is used to query your workingcopy's revision. It doesnt query repository. So if you checkout a jurassic version, the approbiate revision number is shown in your resulting about box. If you are making changes to this workingcopy, and do not commit, a 'Modified'-Flag is shown in about box to state dirtieness, but revision number will not increase.
andykmv

Post by andykmv »

UR_ wrote:Hello andykmv,

subwcrev.exe is used to query your workingcopy's revision. It doesnt query repository. So if you checkout a jurassic version, the appropriate revision number is shown in your resulting about box. If you are making changes to this workingcopy, and do not commit, a 'Modified'-Flag is shown in about box to state dirtieness, but revision number will not increase.
that makes sense and i do get the modified flag showing as i have been tinkering in the make files adding comments to help me understand the make process for this app while i brush up on batch programming.

so, i need to spend some time boning up on svn/tortoisesvn as well ! many thanks for your patience :)
andykmv

Post by andykmv »

hi guys! i was reading though random changes in rev 81 to rev 82 and i noticed a possible minor readability issue
- in /Code/FBEdit/Src/Make.bas, line 226, looks like while changing the startupinfo var to sui, an extra indent tab was removed from the nested If statement which affects readability
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

I put my version on GitHub now, after somebody requested the source: https://github.com/CherryDT/FbEditMOD
datwill310

Re: FbEdit (Unicode Support?)

Post by datwill310 »

Hi KetilO! Your software is great, and I enjoy using it!

I have just one request: it would be great if I could work with Unicode instead of ASCII so that I can use Unicode characters inside my code file, which is useful for programs in languages besides English (I know that most non-English, Latin characters can be printed, but I would like to go past that and use, for instance, combining diacritic characters in string literals, something ASCII does not support, so I have to switch to Notepad++, which is not configured for Free BASIC coding yet.)

But great software all the same! Image.
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

hello datwill310
while your request gets implemented, you could use geany https://www.geany.org, you can edit, compile and run your FB programs, also it allows you to save the source in unicode if you wish.