[offtopic]Some cheap and tiny ARM devices.

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
D.J.Peters

Re: [offtopic]Some cheap and tiny ARM devices.

Post by D.J.Peters »

Yes quad core 1.2GHz. BCM 2837 64-bit ARM Cortex-A53 CPU a new target for FreeBASIC :-)

Joshy
St_W

Post by St_W »

If you manage to emulate a 64-bit ARM (Linux) system using e.g. qemu or similar I'd be interested (to integrate it in the nightly-builds system).

I already did set up a cross compile toolchain (from x86_64 linux), but could not get a 64-bit ARM system running for testing.
St_W

Post by St_W »

D.J.Peters wrote: I tryed the lates QEMU build with ARM 64-bit (AARCH64) support but don't get to work.
It does not like --help or /help -? and I don't get any error message :-(

qemu-system-aarch64 -smp 1 -m 512 -kernel aarch64-linux-3.15rc2-buildroot.img

qemu from 2016-03-03 for windows 64-bit host : qemu-w64-setup-20160303.exe

guest aarch64 64-bit kernel: aarch64-linux-3.15rc2-buildroot.img

I must google a bit.

Joshy

EDIT: qemu used SDL so there isn't any console output it's in stderr.txt :-)
But qemu is installed in c:\Program Files\qemu without the right to create stderr.txt in this folder.
D.J.Peters wrote:Image
After I got qemu running with AARCH64 I found out there isn't a 64-bit ARM raspbian or similar image available :-(

The 64bit quad cores runs 32bit OS without the new powerfull cpu instructions what a f***

Same with CUDA I translated all *.h by hand and it's totaly useless :-)

Joshy
Hm, you are right - seems there is no AARCH64 system (kernel) available for the Raspberry Pi 3 as of now. See also:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=138232
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 6&t=138385
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/550

BUT Debian is available for that architecture (they call it "arm64" sometimes), that would allow us testing AARCH64 builds if we would manage to run it (e.g. in qemu).
I just stumbled over this tutorial:
http://blog.eciton.net/uefi/qemu-aarch64-jessie.html
(note to myself: read this :-) )

In case anybody can run a aarch64 debian on some device; here's a FreeBasic build for it:
http://users.freebasic-portal.de/stw/bu ... -03-07.tgz
I'd really like to test it at some point in the future when arm64 is available for common devices like the rpi.

Btw Joshy, deleting is the most useless of all. Seems you totally underestimate how important information and documentation is. If you do something and do not document the process and thoughts, but only keep the results - then a lot of very useful knowledge is lost. (see Knowledge Management literature for more about this)
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

a really low cost external storage for the Pi the WD PiDrive 314GB only $31.42, I was going to buy one but it seems you have to order at least 5 :(
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

A tiny and interesting Windows 10 device LattePanda

Joshy
Last edited by D.J.Peters on Sep 22, 2017 5:44, edited 1 time in total.
greenink

Post by greenink »

Apparently the next versions of intel's CPU's won't work with windows xp/7/8. Forcing people to buy windows 10.
I wouldn't support either of those 2 companies by choice.
St_W

Post by St_W »

greenink wrote:Apparently the next versions of intel's CPU's won't work with windows xp/7/8. [...]
I first thought this is a Hoax, but multiple tech magazines are actually reporting about that. Unfortunately all the smartphone concepts like app packages, interface & interaction concepts, restricted system access and update policies are accepted by the people and thus simply are applied for the PC too.
caseih

Post by caseih »

greenink wrote:Apparently the next versions of intel's CPU's won't work with windows xp/7/8. Forcing people to buy windows 10.
Well, I can understand preferring Windows 7 or 8 to 10, but if you buy a new computer, it's going to come with Windows 10 already, so there's no forcing people to buy a newer version of Windows.

I agree that there's no good reason Windows 7 or 8 can't or won't on these processors.

Been using Windows 10 lately, and once you doll it up with Classic Shell and a nicer theme, and after disabling a lot of rubbish, it's fairly usable. The default look and feel is ghastly though. It definitely won't go down in history as a classic (neither will Windows 8's default look).
marcov

Post by marcov »

caseih wrote:
greenink wrote:Apparently the next versions of intel's CPU's won't work with windows xp/7/8. Forcing people to buy windows 10.
Well, I can understand preferring Windows 7 or 8 to 10, but if you buy a new computer, it's going to come with Windows 10 already, so there's no forcing people to buy a newer version of Windows.
Only if you buy big brands. Smaller brands and own built you can order without windows, and migrate your old retail licenses.
caseih

Post by caseih »

Sure that's possible, but very few people have full retail licenses. Most of them are OEM licenses, which MS claims are non-transferrable. For those very few people with retail licenses, I can understand the frustration as the inability of older Windows to run on the newer chips seems like an artificial and arbitrary restriction. But I guess the question is, if you were to force MS to support newer chips with older operating systems, where do you draw the line? Should MS release updates for Windows 7 to support every new chip generation (and potential hardware changes like buses and storage technology) for the entire duration of their long-term support cycle (2020 I think)? I don't think such a demand is reasonable.
marcov

Post by marcov »

caseih wrote:Sure that's possible, but very few people have full retail licenses. Most of them are OEM licenses, which MS claims are non-transferrable.
(during the introduction of windows 8 Microsoft allowed people to upgrade any license to retail for a few months. OTOH those will mostly be running win10 now, but at least for the win8 crowd that is not as odd. Students sometimes also have access to licenses from bulk university licenses)
For those very few people with retail licenses, I can understand the frustration as the inability of older Windows to run on the newer chips seems like an artificial and arbitrary restriction. But I guess the question is, if you were to force MS to support newer chips with older operating systems, where do you draw the line?
The old requirements, like having cmpxchg16 for 64-bit etc. The problem is that the current stance is not based on anything technical, just a money grab.
Should MS release updates for Windows 7 to support every new chip generation (and potential hardware changes like buses and storage technology) for the entire duration of their long-term support cycle (2020 I think)? I don't think such a demand is reasonable.
Yes. That's the expectation when you bought it, so that is not so unreasonable IMHO. If you want to set new policies do it for new releases, so people know what they buy.

Microsoft is trying to imitate Apple's business model over the head of customers that gave them money in good faith. But when that fails in a few years their high command will layout some other crazy strategy. Just like we are now still looking at a converged Janus headed mobile-desktop OS with (nearly) all MS mobile devices killed off.

Fact is people buy Microsoft for stability, not fanciness.
greenink

Post by greenink »

People used to buy Windows for stability and simplicity. I wish MS understood that basic point. Now they have entrapped victims.
caseih

Post by caseih »

You must be remembering things differently than I do! I don't think anyone ever expected stability and simplicity out of Windows, though Windows XP hit a real sweet spot. More than anything people didn't buy Windows; it just came on the computer they bought, and it was familiar enough to them that they could work with it.

Now on the other hand, people used to buy Macs precisely because they were stable and simple. Not sure that's really true anymore.

In any case, I disagree with Marcov and I don't consider this "entrapment." You can keep running your old Windows machines as long as the hardware stays running and provided you disconnect them from the network at some point for security reasons.
marcov

Post by marcov »

caseih wrote:
In any case, I disagree with Marcov and I don't consider this "entrapment."
I never called anything entrapment, however I'll restate that this is marketing driven, and not requirements driven.