Is GTK 3 dead for windows at 3.6

External libraries (GTK, GSL, SDL, Allegro, OpenGL, etc) questions.
wallyg

Is GTK 3 dead for windows at 3.6

Post by wallyg »

I have been using GTK 3 for awhile and like it and the documentation a lot better then GTK 2. However the other day I needed to do something and checked the documentation for the stable release of GTK 3 before I built my own routines and it is a lot further then 3.6. I found what I was looking for introduced in 3.10. However the official release for windows has been 3.6 for a long long time.

Does anyone know if there are any more recent builds for GTK 3 for windows (that works with the freebasic include files) or if one is coming soon. Or should I look into other packages for future projects.

Thanks.
jcfuller

Re: Is GTK 3 dead for windows at 3.6

Post by jcfuller »

I have been researching gtk+ for a couple months for a cross platform strategy for a new translator. I know I am an old fart with diminishing mental expertise but....
The issues:
Most web (zetcode)examples and books ("Foundations of GTK+ Development") are for Linux Gtk+2.
A majority of the examples will run on windows but the port has never been really stable from the get-go. The gtk forum is a farce with the gtk listserver the best source of answers, primarily for linux users.

I have found Gtk3 on Windows has many more issues than Gtk2 so I think I will just forget wrapping widgets with Gtk and leave it up to the user.
I may give IUP a closer look.

James
wallyg

Post by wallyg »

As one old fart to another, thanks for the info. It looked like to me that the GTK people really do not care about windows and I was beginning to consider using some other package. I have been retired for a year now and always wanted to do this project and was familiar with GTK2 from some other personal projects, so I thought I would use GTK 3 since 3 is better than 2???

I am unfamiliar with IUP, any links to documentation or lots of sample code would be nice to review.
caseih

Post by caseih »

GTK+ was developed first on Unix and Linux, and to this day is still developed there primarily. It was originally an X11-based toolkit, with thin abstractions over the X11 parts, in the form of GDK. Over the years, this abstraction was developed more and made GTK+ more independent of the underlying framebuffer and windowing system. But the real issue is that GTK+ relies on volunteers for windows development. Linux development, with X11 and Wayland backends, is actually funded by several companies who rely on the Gnome desktop. So with GTK+ 3, the primary development push is in relation to Gnome 3, which is mainly on Linux. I'm on the GTK developers list and there is traffic relating to the Windows port. So there is some movement there. There is a build system set up, so I imagine soon someone will crank out 3.12 binaries. Whether or not they will function properly is another story. https://blogs.gnome.org/nacho/2014/06/2 ... r-windows/ But the good news is that a few fairly major projects that want to target Windows and OS X are using GTK+ 3, so hopefully you will benefit from that eventually.

In my opinion, GTK+ has never felt at home on Windows, though there were various attempts to tweak the Windows-looking theme to fit in better. Qt has always felt far more native on OS X and Windows. Maybe now that FBC has boolean types, it will be possible to generate FreeBasic bindings to Qt. But that will take a long while I think.
jcfuller

Post by jcfuller »

Here is the link for IUP
http://webserver2.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/iup/
I believe iup examples come with the FreeBasic package.
I have not done much coding with my translator except for a proof of concept demo.

I developed a cross-platform translator using wxWidgets as a base but I wanted a gui for "c" rather than c++ so I invested time in gtk.

I tried some very simple qt code but it's a big pia from the command line :)

James