FB 1.02 release

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
dkl
Site Admin

FB 1.02 release

Post by dkl »

Hello,

it's been 3 months again, and I think it's time for a new release. There aren't super-many changes like with the 1-year release cycles we had before, but still.

There are some big binding updates (Windows API, OpenGL, GTK+, SDL, even X11), all with 64bit support now, that probably shouldn't be held back. Although, I expect there will be some issue with them. Big updates are always risky. For example, the new bindings support the Const specifiers, which some of the old ones did not, and that could cause old code to no longer compile.

Well, I'm thinking about doing the new release this weekend, if all works out. It'll be good to have the first 2015 release. Cheers.
TJF

Re: FB 1.02 release

Post by TJF »

marcov

Post by marcov »

A bit more context please.

The files that are shown on that page with copyright removed seem to have their content wholly replaced, iow without original content remaining. So where is the violation?
TJF

Post by TJF »

@marcov

Why are you that destructive again?

You know that adding a tabulator or formating keywords in lower case letters doesn't dissolve copyright.
marcov

Post by marcov »

TJF wrote:@marcov
Why are you that destructive again?
I'm not destructive. I just ask for clarification. The fact that you feel attacked with every bit of criticism or even a mere question is not my fault.

For clarity, I'm talking about the 3 files on display above that only contain something like:

Code: Select all

+#ifdef __USE_GTK3__
+ #include once "gtk3.bi"
+#else
+ #include once "gtk2.bi"
+#endif
which are the ones shown by your link and it seems a bit over the top to debate copyright over these trivial lines.
You know that adding a tabulator or formating keywords in lower case letters doesn't dissolve copyright.
What is there to copyright in the first place? Where is the originality ? Moreover if you want to be so precise, it is a header translation, so where is the original copyright from where it was translated from?

Anyway, the copyright on headers is shady to begin with (see e.g. the various Santa Cruz/SCO cases including the so called "Settlement" about the BSD copyrights), since they are regarded to be published interfaces for inter operation.

Worse these are not even headers that generate code, merely including files (all challenges on headers always have been on macros that actually could be used to generate code). And these are not codegenerating macros, not even declarations but boilerplate preprocessor code only.

Maybe you have some principal point to make, but you could've asked nicely that you want to see some notice retained instead of making a terse copyright violation claim. Now THAT"s destructive.
TJF

Post by TJF »

I asked nicely for some touching up. I'll repeat it more nice, just to make marcov happy :
  • ♡♫ Please do some touching-up. ♫♡
dkl
Site Admin

Post by dkl »

The new headers are not just reformatted, but rather created new from ground-up. The sources/scripts/tools for that can be found here:
https://github.com/dkl/fbbindings
https://github.com/dkl/fbfrog
TJF

Post by TJF »

I saw that.

You removed copyright notices from files that didn't change (just file names are different).
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

@dkl why does fbfrog removes names from all defined params ?

From my point of view *.h and *.bi include files are a kind of documentation also.

For example If you read this declare you have to go online and search what are the 3 ulong params means:

declare function XCreatePixmap(byval as Display ptr, byval as Drawable, byval as ulong, byval as ulong, byval as ulong) as Pixmap
would be better to have the names of the params:

declare function XCreatePixmap(byval display as Display ptr, byval d as Drawable, byval width as ulong, byval height as ulong, byval depth as ulong) as Pixmap
How ever you have done a good job.

Joshy
dkl
Site Admin

Post by dkl »

The parameter names seem to be commented out in the C headers:
libX11-1.6.3/include/X11/Xlib.h wrote:extern Pixmap XCreatePixmap(
Display* /* display */,
Drawable /* d */,
unsigned int /* width */,
unsigned int /* height */,
unsigned int /* depth */
);
(otherwise, fbfrog would have preserved them. But it ignores comments currently.)
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

dkl wrote:The parameter names seem to be commented out in the C headers:
OK I see thank you.
St_W

Post by St_W »

Nice to see that more and more headers can be generated automatically and less and less manual work is needed.

Were the headers generated without manual intervention? or how much manual rework was/is needed?
ike

Post by ike »

Last time I download FB 1.01 from sourceforge and it was 9MB, Now I got 1.02 from st_W links and it is 5MB

Am I missing something?
fxm

Post by fxm »

The additional headers are also available at http://users.freebasic-portal.de/stw/builds/.
dkl
Site Admin

Post by dkl »

St_W wrote:Were the headers generated without manual intervention? or how much manual rework was/is needed?
It still requires manual work in most cases, but it's managable (especially in comparison to the size of the generated binding). The good thing though is that most of the manual modifications can be re-applied automatically when updating the binding later.