FBIde 0.4.6 r3 Avilable now

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
VANYA

Post by VANYA »

Amended Russian language file for the editor:

http://free-basic.ru/user-files/russianFbIde.zip
Last edited by VANYA on Mar 13, 2014 3:14, edited 1 time in total.
agamemnus

Post by agamemnus »

Just to clarify, you need Mysoft's update fix on top of .4.6 r3.
TESLACOIL

Re: FBIde 0.4.6 r3 Avilable now

Post by TESLACOIL »

Patcher [ small grey box] Warning:Language file missing

If i click on a .bas file (directly, not via FBide) i get this message pop up every time

FBIde0.4.6r4 (i dloaded it today from SF), the stand alone version of FBide & pointed it to fbc.exe as instructed to by the installer

FB compiler Version 0.24.0 ( i dloaded it today also from SF ) and Win XP pro SP3

To clarify further

I rebooted, changed languages ok etc and the problem still persists. Even if FBide.exe is open and i click directly on a .bas file (again not via FBide) i still get the 'Language file missing' warning.

I don't get that message if i open a.bas file via the FBide.exe interface

In win xp i right click on the,bas file and set it to 'always open with' FBide.exe. Then all .bas files change their picture to the fbide.icon

Ok ive now uninstalled the above and tried the 'all in one' windows installer which comes with FB compiler version 23 and Im still getting the same 'language missing' problem. During the installation the associate .bas with FBide was checked but did not alter the association. I had to do the association manually with ' always open with' command in windows

exceedingly annoying as it didn't happen before with the older version of FBide. Q any clues ? How to fix ?

note to self never upgrade anything unless you have too, lol ...now wheres my trusty but ancient FB 2.0 got too

Ok now i have all sorts of weird problems,

window kept defaulting to a different theme on rebooting .....10 reboots later i fixed it somehow

now windows wont let me associate a .bas file with anything....im fast heading into format bleeping compute territory here

I discovered that if i rename fbide.exe to anyname.exe it can then be associated with a .bas file though the icon remains unchanged

any clues ?
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

Hi VonGodric,
I know it's been a while since the original 0.4.6 release, and the final changes were never committed to CVS, but I was wondering: what is the state of the online source code in comparison to the 0.4.6 release? Could a new version conceivably be recreated from it without too much work?
AnotherLife

Post by AnotherLife »

Hmm, there must be some bug with the working path when FBIDE is not run normally but run from the system on a registered extension. For example, the msgbox doesn't appear when the bas file is in the same folder as FBIDE.

I had to nop the "language not found" msgbox that FbIdeFix.dll spits out. I'm hoping for a new version, I like this IDE :-)
Clyde_GVY

Re: FBIde 0.4.6 r4

Post by Clyde_GVY »

Hello there VonGodric and team,

Firstly, what a top IDE for freebasic, and it would be wonderful to see it continued etc.

However, I'm having the same problem with the other dudes above "the warning: Language File Missing"

How I get the warning, is when you double click to open either .bas or .bi files that are associated with FBIDE.

My os is Windows 7 64-bit, and I have tried with both the installer ( excluding freebasic ), and from the zip archive straight to a folder. both are located out of the main freebasic directory. And is the current version on your website.

Cheers and many thanks for you help,
Clyde.
VonGodric

Post by VonGodric »

thanks for letting me know. I will try and investigate this.
VonGodric

Post by VonGodric »

counting_pine wrote:Hi VonGodric,
I know it's been a while since the original 0.4.6 release, and the final changes were never committed to CVS, but I was wondering: what is the state of the online source code in comparison to the 0.4.6 release? Could a new version conceivably be recreated from it without too much work?
Possibly yes. I think it needs an updated project file and probably some tinkering to get it to compile with the latest version of wxWidgets. If anyone wants to give this a try let me know and I will help you as much as I can. Unfortunately I have very little free time these days to work on this myself. Work, Life, Uni, other projects, ... But I would be willing to aid anyone who is willing to take on the project.
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

I managed to take the old Sourceforge code out of the CVS and I've put it up on GitHub. Maybe someone will find it useful:
https://github.com/countingpine/fbide
Lothar Schirm

Post by Lothar Schirm »

VanGodric, any news about FBIde? I also get the message "Language File Missing": I have added FBIde as a user tool to FireFly, and I get this error message when I call FBIde from the menue bar of FireFly.
adx

Post by adx »

In case this helps, I just used Filemon to hunt down this persistent little bug, it is indeed searching in the .BAS file folder when using drag drop:

C:\<directory .BAS file is in>\IDE\lang\.fbl PATH NOT FOUND

I possibly should move on, but I still find FBIDE the best simple way to bring up little snippets and utils I have all over the place in BASIC. That infernal messagebox is a pain, even in 2018.
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

Thanks adx, that's interesting to know.

I've not tested this, but according to https://freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20875, you can remove the warning by replacing the fbidefix.dll with an earlier version from version 0.4.6r2 on http://fbide.freebasic.net/download.

The original thread for the fix is at https://freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 957#147957, but it seems the source for the dll is lost to the ether.

But based on the code I posted at https://freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 54#p172454, you can unpatch fbide.exe by replacing the string "FbIdeFix.dll" with "OLEAUT32.DLL", although this may cause fbide to hang when accessing the help file.
adx

Post by adx »

counting_pine wrote:I've not tested this, but according to https://freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20875, you can remove the warning by replacing the fbidefix.dll with an earlier version from version 0.4.6r2 on http://fbide.freebasic.net/download.
Woohoo! That worked for me. Thanks for the tip.

I find the help very handy when I do sporadically write something. It's good to have a QuickBasic-ish editor which does the basics so to speak, and works. I have some older BASCOM code (microcontrollers) and even though it doesn't always run in FB it's close enough that the syntax highlighting works. In some ways FBIDE makes a great BASIC file viewer, without having to open a whole IDE just to look at something (why I'm back here right now). I'm not really a member of the "simpler is better" group, but in this case - yep.
ur_naz

Post by ur_naz »

fbide is dead for 6 yrs
St_W

Post by St_W »

ur_naz wrote:fbide is dead for 6 yrs
I think it's even longer, something > 10 years. It's a miracle why anybody would still want to use it nowadays as there are so many, so much better replacements available.