How is it possible to access the archives ?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
marpon

How is it possible to access the archives ?

Post by marpon »

I tried several times to access to download this topic in the archives:
http://www.freebasic.net/___old_site/ar ... .php?id=44

But I can't download , it needs registered user and I can't register , I am already registered to the forum, it seems not suffisant , Who can help?

I really want to get the axsuite2 elements.

Thanks for help.
fxm

Re: How is it possible to access the archives ?

Post by fxm »

I can login, but when I attempt to download AxSuite2 Package, I get "Page not found "!
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

Unfortunately the archives no longer exist, after the introduction of the new website.
marpon

Help : how to get Axsuite2 from loe

Post by marpon »

Hello all
As it is impossible to get access to the archives , is it somebody who can post again in the forum,the axsuite2 from loe ?

I am very interested in using that for activeX test .

Thanks for help
St_W

Post by St_W »

You still can download all the files - although it's a little bit tricky:

this only works if you have an working account (thats apparently the case if you were registered in the old forum).

e.g. if you want to Download "xGUI" (and you're logged in) you can click on the Download link and are redirected to something like this url:
http://www.freebasic.net/arch/upload/xGUI.zip

but this was the path of the old site, which now resides in subfolder "___old_site". So just add that folder to url (and drupal won't give a 404):
http://www.freebasic.net/___old_site/ar ... d/xGUI.zip
fxm

Post by fxm »

Yes St_W.

So marpon, try directly this link:
http://www.freebasic.net/___old_site/ar ... te2pkg.zip
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

This community has a really bad habit of creating Archives that aren't actually archived.

Can we start using renowned, reliable services such as DropBox, GitHub, or some kind of other, trusted cloud storage? Please?

I honestly lost tons of files years ago after FileAnchor et al went offline.
marpon

I succeed access the Axsuite2 archive

Post by marpon »

Thank's to all of you, I could download the file.

But, it is really very sad we have to use that kind of secret path to get access to archives.

As the world says "archives" is to archive so to get when you want.

If you need help to reorganize this messy situation, I can spend some time for that !
I fully support anonymous1337 in his proposal

regards
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

If you need help to reorganize this messy situation, I can spend some time for that !
Hi, marpon.

I'm going to see if I can gradually pull code off of the FreeBASIC forum and archive it on GitHub within the next couple weeks. (Gradually is to prevent using too much bandwidth.) All I'll need you to do is show your support so I know it's something I should invest my time in. I make no promises, but a little motivation might nudge me along :)

I can perhaps archive user-submitted projects as well, possibly in a different repository.
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

I agree with you anonymous1337.
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

I don't know how useful it would be to have an archive of every piece of code posted on the forum. It's possible we should just encourage people to use something like gist/pastebin for code instead.
Bear in mind there are about 20 thousand threads and 180 thousand posts on the forum, which at the rate of 1 post a second would take 50 straight hours of data pulling.

If you're serious about it, it would be better to talk to v1ctor or someone who can use SQL to fetch all the data you want in one go, rather than going through PHP page by page.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

counting_pine:

Yeah, archiving projects/"important" snippets is arguably more important. However, it'd be nice to have a list of all users' code contributions over time. More for "ooh, ahhhh" than practicality...

1) A DB dump without sensitive information would be fine. Should be able to get anything I want from that... However, if I Can't get that, I'd at least need forum ID (so forum name can be guessed), date/time of post, thread name, user name. Otherwise, we have a bunch of code blocks we can't attribute to anyone. If we get back a bunch of IDs, we now have to run through PHP a bazillion times to resolve them.

2) I want a collection of .bas files, not thread contents. I'm not scraping for posts, just

Code: Select all

blocks off of thread pages.

3)  So who are the site admins any more?  I emailed v1ctor about something else some time ago and he hasn't responded yet.

I'm aware of how many threads there are.  Asynchronously, things may go faster than you'd expect...  I'm more worried about using too much bandwidth.
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

Yeah, bandwidth/server load might be an issue if you're scraping every post.
If you did go the scraping route, you'd probably need to fetch the Edit/Quote window texts, since the html rendering can mangle code slightly. That'd mean one post content per page (or maybe pages of posts could be scanned for code renderings first.. But yeah, I'd advise against it..

Re forum dumps: I tried downloading a gzip recently, but unfortunately it timed out while processing or something. I haven't tried since.

Also I'm not sure how to weed out sensitive info.. I can probably work out which tables are/aren't necessary, but another thing is there are some non-public threads, and I don't know how I'd weed those out.
PAEz

Post by PAEz »

(Hope this post goes through, I tried posting in another thread about 4 days ago and still waiting for it to be approved)

I've only just got into FreeBasic and found it a little annoying that there isn't an archive anymore. Finding stuff to play with by going through the forums is a little bit of a pain.

So I decided to make my own for me and a mate. Its going to take me ages to put stuff on it as I'm a dialup user, but it will grow.
Well Im using Box.com to store the stuff on as I got a 50gig free account. I have no need for it so Id love to share it with this forum.

What I was thinking would be cool is if anyone can ask for a directory on the box and they can control the content for that directory. In box you can add a collaborator for a directory and then they can upload/edit/delete/whatever in that directory only. They can use this directory to upload releases, snippets or even just examples for people in the forum..... I've encountered a lot of files on this forum that where upload to the usual file hosting sites and are no longer available, this shouldn't happen with the box account. Also, if they would prefer people go to their own site, then they could just put a link in their folder pointing to their web site.

Ill admit that FreeBasic might end up being a fly by interest for me as Im awfully fickle, but I doubt it as I really think this is going to be my second language (the one I use to make windows apps). And even if I do lose interest I will always honour my commitment. Alternatively some admin from this forum could set the same thing up, you can get 50gig free accounts from this url at the moment....
https://www.box.com/signup/o/dell_50gb_give_get

Anywayz, just something to think about.

PS love the idea of using Github.