No AppInit_DLL key in the registry on my XP SP3 box?

Windows specific questions.
D.J.Peters

No AppInit_DLL key in the registry on my XP SP3 box?

Post by D.J.Peters »

Do you have the AppInit_DLL key in your registry ?

Joshy
MSDN wrote:To create a class that can be used in every process, create the window class in a .dll and load the .dll in every process. To load the .dll in every process, add its name to the AppInit_DLLs value in following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

Whenever a process starts, the system loads the specified .dll in the context of the newly started process before calling its entry-point function. The .dll must register the class during its initialization procedure and must specify the CS_GLOBALCLASS style.
MichaelW

Re: No AppInit_DLL key in the registry on my XP SP3 box?

Post by MichaelW »

For my Windows 2000 SP4 system and my Windows XP SP3 system an AppInit_DLLs key is present, but there is no value assigned to it.
SARG

Post by SARG »

Under W7 also empty
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

If no global process wide control classes are registered may be it isn't needed at all.

First i was thinking the class style CS_GLOBALCLASS is a key feature but looks like i'm misunderstood it.

thank you

Joshy
St_W

Post by St_W »

Using the (deprecated!) AppInit_DLL Registry-Key you can inject a DLL in every process that gets loaded.

CS_GLOBALCLASS is something rather different: you specify this wndclass-attribute, if you want your wndcls to be application (process) global.

Of course you can combine both features to register a WndCls in every process getting loaded.