X-the forgotten battles(Pre-Alpha release)

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
Westbeam

Re: X-the forgotten battles(Pre-Alpha release)

Post by Westbeam »

I am rewriting the code, so it will work on Windows too. Well here are some new screenshots:
On the other screenshots you saw everytime the same sector, so I made a new sector. ;)
You can fly to planets now. Well there isn't much to see yet and they are a little buggy at the moment(for example somehow you can not shoot when you are on a planet).
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

I'm glad to hear you didn't give up on the Windows version. Cool news about flying on planets.
Lachie Dazdarian

Any news, Westbeam?

I need this! :)
Westbeam

Post by Westbeam »

Yes. I need you to test this code under Windows: Download(25.1 MB)
It's the old code, but I made some changes, so you might be able to compile(and play) it under Windows:

The resolution is 1600x900. You can change this in the file "data/config.cfg".
I disabled the sound in this version, I think it was one of the main reasons, why it wasn't working.
When you are in the main menu, click on the button "Spiel starten"(its german for "start game").

A guy in the german forum was able to compile it(Screenshot), but the game crashed after clicking on the Single Player-Button. Somehow Windows was angry with a piece of code, so I removed a few lines.
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

You hafe to fix something for windows.

For a missing GL const you have to include "GL/glext.bi" in "2d.bi" too.

Code: Select all

#ifdef __FB_WIN32__
# include "GL/glext.bi"
#endif
You must define this also.
X-tfb(test)\inc\libs\2d.bi(113) error 40: Variable not declared, glActiveTexture in 'glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE0)'
X-tfb(test)\inc\libs\2d.bi(114) error 40: Variable not declared, glClientActiveTexture in 'glClientActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE0)

You should put your versions of OpenB3D, Xfont, bass ... for win and lin in the right folder too.

Joshy
Lachie Dazdarian

I had similar problems. I had to use 2d.bi from my freebasic folder (which is some alternative/updated, if I remember correctly) and REM FreeIMAGE.bi in the source to avoid duplicate definitions. Now I get the message:
E:\Working\freeBASIC\FreeBASIC\bin\win32\ld.exe: cannot find -lOpenB3D
Confused...

You really should include tested and up to date bi and lib files (as well as resource files that work in Windows - newline difference in txt files, grrr) in your archive and small compiling instructions, so all windows users can at least compile...then more people will actually be able to run the program and together have more chance to find a solution to those crashings. But when we have to work our way through compiling with each new WIP once again...ergh...

EDIT: I would appreciate if you could provide a youtube video of the gameplay. As me playing this game on my PC is still unreachable.
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

I got it but it shows only the animated 3D intro screen here !

download: X-tfb_win_test.zip

May be i have different versions of FreeImage.dll or OpenB3D.dll in the main folder.

Joshy
Lachie Dazdarian

Same happens with me too.
Westbeam

Post by Westbeam »

News!

I made some new spaceships, here is a screenshot of all ships, which are in the game at the moment:
The fighter in the middle of the picture is the ship, the player will start with.

You can destroy ships now! I made some cool looking explosions:

In a few months I will have the money to buy a new computer. Windows isn't working correctly on my old one, so I might be able to compile it on a new Windows.
Westbeam

Post by Westbeam »

Uh, Hi!

Small update: At the moment I am working on the online mode of the game. It works fine, but it takes time to rewrite the code, so it works in the multiplayer too. The chat works and the other players can see your ship in the 3D-world. The first alpha-test of the onlinemode starts this weekend. You can play the game, when the game reaches the Open-Alpha status. Good news for the windows users too! The online game works fine with windows.

I made a screenshot of the chat in the online mode: Screenshot

mfg, Westbeam ;-)
Lachie Dazdarian

Any progress on the Windows version, Westbeam?
Westbeam

Post by Westbeam »

Affemitwaffel compiled succesfully a Windowsversion and played with me on my server a few times. ;)
Lachie Dazdarian

Can he upload his compiled version somewhere?
Westbeam

Post by Westbeam »

I'm not allowed to. I have a deal with Egosoft(the creator of the original X-games). For using their gfx I have to give them the Open Alpha version of the game. They want to upload the game on their site. You have to wait, until the game reaches the open alpha stage. Sorry :/