Procedural block world project

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
Gonzo

Re: "Above" (procedural block world project thing)

Post by Gonzo »

http://fbcraft.fwsnet.net/makinstuff.png
school is taking its toll on progress, but that never stopped any testers from complaining =)
Last edited by Gonzo on Aug 19, 2012 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
agamemnus

Post by agamemnus »

Procedurally generated staircases?! Amazing!
dafhi

Post by dafhi »

I've begun work on my own continuous procedural function. I'm starting with the basics, a triangle wave.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

during my exam weeks i have decided to put this on hold, and start a new project =) thats never happened before, actually
so im abit stumped.. giving up is something i wasnt brought up to do, but frankly, after 6 months of optimizing i have decided to go 2D
thats not to say the engine isnt great, it actually is, but its painfully obvious that each change takes infinitely more time to implement than in a project with n^2 dimensions, instead of n^3.. now add driver issues and general opengl limitations and the fact that i dont know opengl from A-Z.. not many does anyways
my next project will be a sort-of remake of my legend of zelda engine, actually, so that makes me happy
i spent 5 years making an engine (it was fun to code, anyways), that i never made a game with
so im going to make a new one based on my accumulated knowledge, and have a mix between static and infinite world =)

in the end, i just realized it wasnt fun to make a block game.. there is little room for creativity when making it with todays computers
even the procedural aspect has limitations that simply werent acceptable for me.. the current engine has/had limitless possibilities, but needs a math genius who is also an artist to implement it =)
mrToad

Re: Procedural block world project thing, on hold

Post by mrToad »

Gonzo, i understand your decision. i've felt that way too before. my own reason is often because i am never satisfied with a project and keep pushing it to be better. eventually i push it beyond my ability (or time) to handle. but in truth we have to draw a line somewhere and be satisfied. well, i hope eventually you will wrap your block world project into something finished. even if that means cutting back on some of the extra big unfinished features. i know you don't want just another minecraft. but on that subject, only a few adjustments and minecraft could be a lot more fun for me. (thirst, sleep deprivation, + more creatures, + more rare items, +more difficult crafting, +more challenge to survive.) in any case i know you have already provided a unique experience in your project, and it deserves attention as a finished piece of work. take a break. just don't forget that it's worth more than you may think, even if you cut back and box it up and put it out there for us to enjoy.

(now i have had my ramble and say looking forward to your zelda-like project. i also am a fan of 2D, although rendering from 3D. this way you can get 3D animations into 2D renders, requiring a less complex engine, yet highest quality art. but only because i'm not so great with hand-drawn animations.)
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

oh dont worry about the graphics =) i have a ton of people who help me out... they just cant make the engine for me =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFIofYCGShA
4 years ago, when i was just mucking around with the finished engine.. i wanted to create a game with it, but never did :/
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Sorry to hear about this. I blame extreme development. :P

Anyway, looking forward do your future 2D endeavors, as I appreciate 2D more than 3D as well.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

------------
Last edited by Gonzo on Aug 16, 2012 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

my awesome jungle hut

a piece of mountain =)
Gonzo

Re: Procedural block world project

Post by Gonzo »

alright new "test" build out, which is probably more stable than any other build so far
the only issue is the server is outdated, and its maker is out of town atm

here's the build: http://fbcraft.fwsnet.net/fbcraft.rar

open config.ini and change username= to your nickname

also - if you are on a craptop, don't even bother trying :) it won't even start
if you have a 2xxxM or above gpu it will probably work well.. as long as it starts you can tweak it into submission

tweaks:
anisotropic_filtering is heavy on gpu - set it to 0
turn off any forced AA you have set in nvidia control panel
and last, try lowering raycaster length in config.ini or lowering sector_axis to 32 (i dont recommend below that)
agamemnus

Post by agamemnus »

o.o

Awesome jungle.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

So you are back to developing this engine?

A one-time return or?
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

uploaded a new .rar with a new exe no longer built with GCC, as it introduced too many problems :)
fixed a few things as well, and it should generate alot faster now
happy building :)

edit: Yes, i'm back ;)

i have made lots of progress on the zelda engine, but its kinda boring and straightforward
already have a seamless world there, push/pull, mobs etc..
but its like going to work, no need to think :S
anyways, the zelda project wont get its own topic until the skeleton is completed
so at least a testmap and all items + menu must be ready
im using TCC for outside scripting, so nothing will be hardcoded in the engine unless i cant avoid it!

---
sloping test, and halfblocks 2 places in the same block (same for smaller blocks, but not shown in picture)
right+click + open image in new tab to see all of it

http://fbcraft.fwsnet.net/fbcraft_dev.png
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

-
Last edited by Gonzo on Oct 18, 2012 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

http://fbcraft.fwsnet.net/doors.png
doors are useful things =)

http://fbcraft.fwsnet.net/screen070912.png
random screenshot of a test-world

also added:
sloped blocks, biome transitions, lilypads, water lilys, a few new sounds
probably more i cant remember :)