Tiny SCREEN 7 and 13

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

Screen 13 or Screenres 320,200 or 240 in fullscreen don't work on my WIN XP box but is ok on my Linux box.

Joshy
Theunis Jansen

Post by Theunis Jansen »

Joshy
Many months ago I said you are my hero because of your FBsound and good advice. I haved always had an inclination to move to Linux, especially Mandriva which found all my hardware when I tried their "live" editions.
Ubuntu was a no no. Redhat seems to have taken over servers so I will try it as well.

As FB is also Linux I think I am now going to set up my old computer and install Linux and to blankity blank with MS OS's.

I presume QB4.5 will run on WINE until I have all my old school and data programs converted to FBlite.
Landeel

Post by Landeel »

I presume QB4.5 will run on WINE until I have all my old school and data programs converted to FBlite.
Sadly no. Wine doesn't run DOS programs.
You need DOSBox for that.
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

By the way we can't/don't advocate using QB4.5 unless you've actually purchased it, since as far as I know it was never really released for free. In many cases, the regular QBASIC or QB64 is good enough.
Landeel

Post by Landeel »

Hm, good idea. QB64 will probably just work for you.
Theunis Jansen

Post by Theunis Jansen »

Landeel

Okay I found quite a bit about SDL under Libraries, so I will check them out.

Thanks but No thanks for QB64. I like small stand-alone programs not like the one I tried on QB64 and got a 888Kb EXE with about 6.2 MB dependencies. QB4.5 was about 47 Kb and FB about 80 Kb stand-alones.
Theunis Jansen

Post by Theunis Jansen »

@ Counting_Pine

I purchased QB4.5 in 1991. The receipt reads - date of purchase 1991-12-21. I still have the original packing - Box- it came in together with the Manual, and also the two original stiffies, (and a CD back-up I made)
I guess I should have asked my question on the Linux Forum regarding WINE but Fb does say it is Qb compatible so there are no problems in that field.
I also intimated this was a temporary measure until I had converted, my old QB programs to FBlite and used the Linux version of FBC to run them on Linux.

Hmm who advocated QB64 ? - Only joking =)
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

Theunis Jansen wrote:@ Counting_Pine

I purchased QB4.5 in 1991. The receipt reads - date of purchase 1991-12-21. I still have the original packing - Box- it came in together with the Manual, and also the two original stiffies, (and a CD back-up I made)
Cool :) I had slightly presumed you hadn't, but that's probably because most people my age weren't buying stuff like that in 1991..

(If you don't mind indulging my curiosity, I'd be interested to see a picture of what the packaging/etc looks like on QB4.5 - I've only ever seen it available as "abandonware". How much did it cost you back then? :)
Landeel

Post by Landeel »

Hah, I bought the diskette version of QBX (7.1) back in the 90's. Of course the diskettes won't read anymore.
Theunis Jansen

Post by Theunis Jansen »

@ Counting_Pine
The price was R299,00 (two-hundred and ninety-nine Rand).
I had to save a couple of months before I could buy it. Considering that it cost me almost 15% of my netto monthly salary it was darn expensive.

I haven't used my scanner in ages and I will have to load Corel Photo House to scan it. I presume JPeg will be okay ?

It is now 22:35 in South Africa so I will only do it tomorrow.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

There is a dos emulator for Linux.
dosemu.

I believe Freebasic was written in Vbdos, the next one up from QB7.
This had to be paid for I would say.

Didn't early Windows have free Quickbasic?
Then they only gave out Qbasic in Win 98.

I don't think the Mac version of Quickbasic was ever free.

Theunis Jansen, if you have a usb modem then you'll have difficulties getting on line with Linux, even the big names won't do it, Red Hat, Fedora, Mandriva, Centos, Ubuntu ...
I have to use PCLINUXOS, which it a lightweight distro, and a two year old version at that, the latest version crashes when the required Library files for Freebasic are installed. Also, I have no opengl.
Serial port dial up modems work ok with most Linux distros, so You'll not be stuck.
Linux is fun though, and Freebasic runs well on it when everything is set up.
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

dodicat wrote:I believe Freebasic was written in Vbdos, the next one up from QB7.
This had to be paid for I would say.
That's true. I shouldn't have double standards, and I shouldn't condone the use of any pirated software.
I don't know whether v1ctor has a legit copy of VBDOS or not. Fortunately for the rest of us, FB was self-hosting pretty early into its life and abandoned not only its dependency on VBDOS but also the ability to compile using it.

I also shouldn't throw stones either - I have been guilty of using unlicensed software as well, particularly in cases where it's been easy to find online. But I've stopped doing that and I'd encourage others to as well.
Happily in many cases there are free programs available for the same tasks, or as an alternative, many of us have a better cashflow than when we first started programming, and could actually pay for software now.
(Sorry to derail this conversation.)
Theunis Jansen

Re: Tiny SCREEN 7 and 13

Post by Theunis Jansen »

@ Counting_Pine

The new face is quite nice. But the date is still not according to the ISO standard.

Okay I have three Jpg images; BoxFront, BoxBack and Manual Front page - How do I post them here, pse ?

Using Media Studio I selected the image, said copy: But when I use Img here there is nothing to paste ?
The same happens when I try it in Mozilla Firefox.
Maybe I should send them to your E-Mail as attachments ?

Incidentally Stylin on the QB64 forum a couple of months ago gave me some grief regarding this very same subject.
Edit added: I told him I don't play policeman for MS. and where and how people got their software is not my concern I also added that -
When I checked the Microsoft Forum someone had asked if QB4.5 is a free download and asked where he/she could download it from. The Microsoft Forum moderator did not post anything to the contrary i.e that it was not free. Apparently since it has been abandoned MS has no objections and it can be downloaded from quite a few Forums.

Edit added - Just for the sake of information - I am from a very old school which says my yes is yes and my no is no. I make no promises. My word is my honour and I can not be affronted.

Edit: I have now sent the Jpegs to your E-mail
Theunis Jansen

Re: Tiny SCREEN 7 and 13

Post by Theunis Jansen »

@ Dodicat
Somehow I did not click submit so my previous reply regarding the internet is missing.
Here it is again: - My brother has been using Mandriva Powerpoint for two years without any problems. He has an ADSL (Same as me) and Mandriva set it up without any problems. PCLinuxOS as far as I remember is actually a scaled down fork of Mandriva. 60 Euros for Mandriva Powerpoint is about R480,00 locally but I can get it for R90,00. (Ninety Rand). Swapping to Mandriva should therefore be without a hitch.

Edit: Now I remember it was around midnight (here) and the Freebasic Forum was off the air. (apparently being swapped to the new "Face")