Basic Gaming Issue #3

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Lachie Dazdarian

Basic Gaming Issue #3

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

BASIC Gaming November issue is out!

2 reviews, 1 tutorial, huge news briefs, gallery, awards, you name it.

http://games.freebasic.net/BASICGaming/ ... index.html
http://games.freebasic.net/BASICGaming/ ... Issue3.zip (64 MB)

Enjoy!
Destructosoft

Post by Destructosoft »

An excellent issue as always. I am always surprised that a fellow coder, especially one as able as yourself, finds the time to review most if not all of the works of others, in TWO different BASIC dialects.

Thanks for drawing my attention to "Tron Pac-Man" and "Antiman" as well.
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

I love your eZine. Great work. The reviews were great.

I really liked your tutorials. They are very helpful for a newbie like myself. I have been trying to learn how to make games in FB. Slow going but making progress.

Mostly I have been looking at source code that members that have be so awesome to provide. I wish more people did this since everyone was a newbie at one point and might have even gotten help from others here. I'm a huge believer about giving back to the community. I hope I can someday.

Keep up the great work. Can't wait until Issue #4. :)
Landeel

Post by Landeel »

Great work as usual.
Thank you so much for putting your time on this, Lachie.
Lachie Dazdarian

Thank you for your support.

More tutorials are coming.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I remember loving Antiman, too, and I think flashbacks are a great column for the zine. It got me thinking about player generated content, too. There are games outside of the FB community that do this quite well - Voxatron, the recently released game at http://www.humblebundle.com, includes upload / download capability right in the game client. Really helps ease the sharing process.

It can still be successful manually, though. Maybe for the next edition of the zine you can flashback to Dark Woods 2. Jocke had quite a bit of level sharing going on because he had a website where he actively maintained a bit of community. (And it helped that I wrote a level editor for him. : ) DW2 was a great game, and if I remember right, it even had a graphical FB remake to go along with it contributed by the community.
Lachie Dazdarian

Hrm. Just checked Jocke's website. DW2 has a FreeBASIC port indeed, a port I was unaware of. Thanks. It's text only, though. The GFX version was only released for QB.

I wish Jocke would get around to port it. Should be easy.
relsoft

Post by relsoft »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Hrm. Just checked Jocke's website. DW2 has a FreeBASIC port indeed, a port I was unaware of. Thanks. It's text only, though. The GFX version was only released for QB.

I wish Jocke would get around to port it. Should be easy.
He's working on Dw3 on FB. Visit the Qbasicnews site. ;*)

As usual, superb issue!

And I may write a little tute for the 3rd 'ish. ;*)
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Had no clue that site was still alive. : P