@ Lachie + anonymous1337 and other potential FB enthusiasts

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
vladimir777

Post by vladimir777 »

This is good web site D language:

http://www.dsource.org/projects/

that is how they work on headers, external libs

Something like this will be nice for FB and
then for each project there is separate page like this:
http://www.dsource.org/projects/gtkd
where you browse source code and visit forum for that project etc
===============================

SURE FB RULES!!
qbworker

Post by qbworker »

TESLACOIL: I agree except for one small detail If you, yes, YOU have nothing to offer, then don't tell others to offer it for you by proxy. If you do indeed believe that FreeBASIC needs leadership, better website, better. . . then YOU will be the one to offer it. The main problem with these so called antiPR people around here is that they don't like you telling them what to do. So if you can't get them to do it, then by all means do it yourself.

We really believe that we need the things you say, and I have a sneaking suspicion that everyone would be simply delighted to wake up in the morning and see that you have created the things that you trumpet to the clouds that we so desperately need. The only problem is that this eloquent (or otherwise) trumpeter does not practice what he preaches, creating video tutorials, new website design, better documentation...
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

yes, Tesla, you should start something big, like i did, and people will come to you :)
all the while some other people here learn manners :)

that being said, making what you suggest sounds awfully alot like a full time job, if you go all out
so, if youre serious, just start and never stop

theres way to many people who start something and abandons it after what 3 months? i fart longer than that...

work harder... i mean longer !!! *whip*
maddogg6

Post by maddogg6 »

Gonzo wrote:yes, Tesla, you should start something big, like i did, and people will come to you :)
all the while some other people here learn manners :)

that being said, making what you suggest sounds awfully alot like a full time job, if you go all out
so, if youre serious, just start and never stop

theres way to many people who start something and abandons it after what 3 months? i fart longer than that...

work harder... i mean longer !!! *whip*
HEY!

I thought **I** was designated whip cracker!!??
(in a chorus of many many FB forum visitors)
TESLACOIL

Post by TESLACOIL »

you can lead a horse to water but cant make it drink

grumpy+diy never conquered the universe

never has done and never will, im am just pointing out the obvious here

1 man cannot carry a grand piano by himself, i think the free-basic ecosystem could do with a little more team work across a broader frontage

yet any mention of team work gets the grumpy diy'ers up in arms

enthusiasm evaporates , team orientated talent goes elsewhere , open source sidelined....S.Jobs and B.Gates rest peacefully

The world is full of talented individuals who like to go their own way , but the world is also full of talented team players 'who can make bigger things happen'

Once the grumpies get established , the teamies find greener pastures, its a self fulfilling prophecy

" blah blah , if you want something done do it yourself " said mr grumpy & his friends

like a chorus of unimaginative sheep, but grumpy is as grumpy does. Talented individuals grumpy or otherwise can get stuff done, but so can talented teams...but that's something that grumpy individuals find hard to comprehend. T t t eam ? ooer , T t t raitor to the race of grumpy individuals. A call to arms for all grumpies snipe at will

faceplant ad infinitum

Im not here to troll , im here to post up some positive ideas , there are genuine problems with the ecosystem some i cannot fix by myself , it is not a crime for me to point these out. Its called constructive criticism & how mankind has slowly progressed through the ages.

I see a lack of vision , lack of leadership , and lack of team spirit resulting in a small FB community with slow growth in a fast changing & highly competitive world....aka much room for improvement

these are all well known flaws associated with all complex open source projects. Without the carrot and stick of the $ & the deadline the organisational overheads with open source projects are much higher & the organisational barriers harder to overcome
marinedalek

Post by marinedalek »

You seem to be applying corporate thinking to something that is to all intents and purposes a hobby for everyone involved. You may get the odd person driven enough to want to do as you say, but jumping in and saying "Hey, everyone start working" will quickly make the venture a whole lot less fun for those involved. As it is a hobby, the stress of the workload will quickly outweigh the fun of contribution for the majority of people, especially those who have full or part-time jobs anyway.

You seem to be aware of this with your "carrot and stick" analogy yet you persist. By the way, your persistent use of the word "grumpies" to describe certain practically-minded people is argumentum ad hominem, an attempt to invalidate the views of a party through character assassination.

The point remains that what the project needs at the moment is people to familiarise themselves with the compiler and start fixing it. That has been stated before in this thread so I apologise for repeating it. The basic fact is that the whole point of this endeavour is to create a stable, relatively bug-free compiler and the way to achieve that is by plugging away at it until it works. For that you need coders and that requires people to dig through the code and familiarise themselves with it. That kind of in-depth research requires time and patience on a scale that only truly dedicated people are capable of.

An additional issue is that getting coders from outside is rather impractical. If anything they should come from within the community as the compiler is written in FreeBASIC itself. Sure, once a programmer worth his salt has had a good look around a language he can pick it up reasonably quickly but seasoned FB users are much more likely to have absorbed knowledge of all the nuances of the language that will shave a huge amount off the introduction time to understanding the compiler.
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

marinedalek wrote:You seem to be applying corporate thinking to something that is to all intents and purposes a hobby for everyone involved. You may get the odd person driven enough to want to do as you say, but jumping in and saying "Hey, everyone start working" will quickly make the venture a whole lot less fun for those involved. As it is a hobby, the stress of the workload will quickly outweigh the fun of contribution for the majority of people, especially those who have full or part-time jobs anyway.
A humorous way to put this is:

You can't just jump into the middle of a chess match and yell "King Me!" and expect to be declared the winner.
qbworker

Post by qbworker »

Team workers don't need to be told that they should work in a team. Also, the definition of a team member is that they want to be there. If you don't want to help, chances are most other people don't either. 'Nuff said?
marcov

Post by marcov »

marinedalek wrote:You seem to be applying corporate thinking to something that is to all intents and purposes a hobby for everyone involved.
Corporate thinking works fine for open source thinking. The problem is that one must then follow it through, and not just cite soundbites.

So setting deadlines is useless in corporate environments too, UNLESS one PROCURE THE RESOURCES TO ACHIEVE THEM.

It works exactly the same in open source. Mumbling of deadlines by allocating resources that are not yours is useless.

TESLACOILS mumbles about team work, but he is not member of the team, since he is not working. He is a sideliner throwing soundbites into a team. And who seems to think he is right because he knows how to use bold.

There is more to being a manager than bold though.