Blackout 1.0

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
Destructosoft

Blackout 1.0

Post by Destructosoft »

Download 1.0 now!
https://rapidshare.com/files/1884764773 ... ut_1.0.rar
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3UZ6ZKNB

Similar to Lights Out, Blackout is a puzzle game in which you must click to turn off the lights.

But Blackout has a twist: Eventually more colors will appear! It becomes increasingly tough to deactivate everything.

Three board sizes and four difficulty modes, including the diabolical Insane mode. Two secret minigames!

Completed puzzles are remembered, so you don't have to start all over again from the beginning! Unless, of course, you want to get the high score.

If you fail, you may retry the puzzle (and lose a life) or take back moves (and lose the bonus points).

Screenshots:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

Note: Press S to turn off the sound effects if you don't like them or if they are buggy.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

I love you. Gonna play this as soon as I get home.
Lachie Dazdarian

Great puzzle game. Rather addictive. Not sure why nobody else in the forum is finding time to play it. I don't remember enjoying lights-out games like this one. Not sure what's your spin on the original concept, but it works for me!

Ploughing my way through easy mode now. Level 20. I love the fact there is more solutions to the puzzles. And that my progress I saved.

Very good presentation, although personally I would change a sprite and a button here and there.

BTW, why I can't input my own name for high scores? Or am I missing something.

Also, I would love to hear some background music playing. Any reason you avoid FMOD?
Destructosoft

Post by Destructosoft »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Not sure what's your spin on the original concept
The original Lights Out was just black and white.
I love the fact there is more solutions to the puzzles
It's in the nature of the game. At first, moves in several places are interchangeable (at least, with 1 color/ 1 pattern).
personally I would change a sprite and a button here and there
I had to make the buttons smaller. If you look at the screenshots you can see Retry and Quit taking 2 squares each (and looking much better), but then I added Take Back. The background on the new Retry was too bright, so I went with 50% darker, but then Take Back's blue got too dark. Definitely a victim of my rushing the design a bit.
why I can't input my own name for high scores? Or am I missing something
You can enter your name at the options screen before you start playing. I was going to have it so you had to click on the namespace or the puzzle number and then type, but hey, numbers and letters are different things so why bother? But you have to use Backspace to delete letters and Delete to delete numbers. (Another waffle.)
I would love to hear some background music playing. Any reason you avoid FMOD?
Learning FMOD isn't going to be a problem (thanks to your tutorial you suggested), but my workcomp doesn't have Audacity installed so I can't create some good music tracks right now.
However, most of my future work should have FMOD, except the simpler ones like this.

Have you figured out how to get to the secret minigames? I made it easier than the secrets in Depths. (Hopefully not too easy though.)
Lachie Dazdarian

Didn't find minigames yet. Are they related to scoring or something?
nkk_kan

Post by nkk_kan »

I know i'm a bit late but very good job on the game!
Love the music notes too! :P