The new website

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
sir_mud

Post by sir_mud »

fxm wrote:Gallery: the link (as follows) to FBedit does not work:
http://fbedit.freebasic.net/

IMHO, the right link is:
http://radasm.cherrytree.at/
*Updated*
anonymous1337 wrote:My name's in the tutorial you link to on that page. If I don't revise it, I'll lose all of my dignity. I get a feeling this was premeditated effort intended to increase the quality of community content.

Put pressure on anonymous1337, and he will revise the content he's contributed to the community. I'm sure that's what you were all thinking.

Well you were right. I'm not sure how long I'll last without revising that tutorial, now that you've put it in the spotlight.
Working yet?

All others: http://freebasic.net/poll/slogan/2011 let's choose this right, if we get a couple good ones i'll reset it so we can choose between them.
agamemnus

Post by agamemnus »

Regarding the colon, I have taken a brief look at some punctuation sites and they don't all agree about the use of capitalization after a colon. My personal preference would actually be to not capitalize anything except "Speed". It's not a title, or even a slogan, really... (where every word would be capitalized) It's just a sentence that is close to a slogan... you don't see people chanting it in a TV ad, so I don't think it qualifies as a slogan.

sir_mud, can you please address my concerns about...

(1) The ugly links at the bottom...
(2) The size of the page... (way too long/not scalable to user's screen size)

In terms of the size of the page, I have some tricks to make sure that it is the right size. Then again... it could be because I set my DPI to 125%, but I can't test that yet because I'm running an extremely time-consuming program and can't close it...

(3) Edit: I see now that the IDEs are listed in the "download" link (once you click it TWICE), but the other sub-links go straight to the compile page. How about just listing everything in one page, and making the sub-links jump to that section of the page? I didn't think to click the "download" link twice the first time around... maybe others won't either.

(4) Edit: having to click twice on a main page link to access its contents. That's very quirky. The content area should just jump to that page once I click it, not open the sub-links and jump to that page when I click it again.
dkl
Site Admin

Post by dkl »

Hah, I thought the slogan would change automatically, once a week or something. Maybe this would be more fun than selecting a single one.
badidea

Post by badidea »

I like "Modern BASIC done right". It's BASIC, its modern, but leaving open what exactly is "done right".
ike

FreeBasic++

Post by ike »

FreeBasic++
ike

KickAssBasic

Post by ike »

fxm

Post by fxm »

sir_mud wrote:
fxm wrote:Gallery: the link (as follows) to FBedit does not work:
http://fbedit.freebasic.net/

IMHO, the right link is:
http://radasm.cherrytree.at/
*Updated*
You must also update this same link in the page "download" link (once you click it TWICE).
sir_mud

Post by sir_mud »

agamemnus wrote:...

(1) The ugly links at the bottom...
(2) The size of the page... (way too long/not scalable to user's screen size)

(3) Edit: I see now that the IDEs are listed in the "download" link (once you click it TWICE), but the other sub-links go straight to the compile page. How about just listing everything in one page, and making the sub-links jump to that section of the page? I didn't think to click the "download" link twice the first time around... maybe others won't either.

(4) Edit: having to click twice on a main page link to access its contents. That's very quirky. The content area should just jump to that page once I click it, not open the sub-links and jump to that page when I click it again.
1: Can you be more specific on this one?
2: I think this is because of you DPI being set so high, the page does reflow, but the theme (default to drupal) uses 1024 as minimum width. I'll see if I can hack the css to remove that.
3 and 4: Both related to the DHTML menu module used, disabled it for the main menu.
fxm wrote: You must also update this same link in the page "download" link (once you click it TWICE).
*fixed*
dkl wrote: Hah, I thought the slogan would change automatically, once a week or something. Maybe this would be more fun than selecting a single one.
Nope, that was just me changing it in Dev, should be a module for that though...
agamemnus

Post by agamemnus »

* Links are:
Sitemap, Contact Us, GIT Repository, all smudged together in a black background at the bottom. There is no reason to waste so much room for ~780 odd pixels, let alone a full page's worth of slightly 1024 pixels... all the text can and should roll over to the next line.

* DPI shouldn't affect the page width... but it does? Too lazy to restart computer.

* Still not sure if you should have download links that aren't on the download page -- people might not read the right side carefully, especially newbies who don't even know what an IDE is. They will hit "download>windows" and "X".. you'll never hear from them again...

---------

* BTW, the google custom search is an atrocious feature in that it makes the site look really bland. The horse logo is really bland too. I would have made it perhaps without any border, or a white border... or maybe a light-bluish/vanilla horse with no border. Of course, now I am nitpicking. :-)
fxm

Post by fxm »

fxm wrote:
fxm wrote:For about one week, there are often problems with connection to the website FreeBasic (and phatcode), with failure time of about one hour or more.
TJF wrote:I second that (connecting from Europe).
I tried to send a post. I had to store the text local and send it 1 hour later.
I would think this is the website phatcode (hosting freeBbsic) which has big problems for a week.
I still have problems connecting to the freebasic.net website (and at the same time to phatcode.net). The failure of connection occurs less often and has shorter duration than before, but it's always annoying!
agamemnus

Post by agamemnus »

Well.....

(edit: look down)
Last edited by agamemnus on Sep 03, 2011 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
fxm

Post by fxm »

Service Disruption: R2-dallas?
agamemnus

Post by agamemnus »

Oh, you can't see it as it's set to private. Here's what I said.
agamemnus wrote:Site5 recently moved our site, phatcode.net (my friend Plasma is the owner), to r2-dallas. It looks like that server has has a boatload of issues over the last month and I am very concerned. Our last server seemed much more reliable.
And the reply:
Ben Welch-Bolen wrote:It should be fine, we take care of all our hosting clients and servers :), that specific server had some issues earlier this week which we resolved.

Thanks, Ben
<-- that's the CEO!!
fxm

Post by fxm »

We can monitor the status of the servers (r2-dallas) at this link:
http://www.site5.com/support/current-status/
agamemnus

Post by agamemnus »

1) The link for the manual is borked.

2) There should be a section that gives a package of the latest windows installer, a windows CHM manual, and an IDE all in one download. (select the IDE via a checkbox)...