FB downloads on Source Forge 65000 in may 2011

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
ike

Post by ike »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fbc/fil ... 2011-08-21

Look at chart and data
ike

BY COUNTRY

Post by ike »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fbc/fil ... 2011-08-21

1. Russia 97,216
2. United States 44,412
3. Germany 16,819
4. Italy 9,198
5. United Kingdom 9,101
6. China 8,794
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

I hope the Russians love their compilers too...
ike

They are waiting for FB

Post by ike »

They are waiting for FB

So they can finish their new jet fighter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=322KM8HChS4

Whithout it new fighter can not make a cobra like old one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7ekgpE7WvY
ike

LIKE THIS

Post by ike »

Code: Select all

Type SUKHOI_35
  data1 As Integer
End Type

Type PAKFA Extends SUKHOI_35
  data1 As Integer
End Type

marcov

Post by marcov »

For comparison:

Free Pascal also about the same magnitude (63k, but FPC also has an own FTP site) in that period:

Curiously the country buildup is different:

1. Venezuela 12.5%
2. Mexico 12.3%
3. Argentina 10%
4. Russia 7%
5. Guatemala 5%
6. Germany 4%
7. Brazil 4%
8. Spain 3.5 %
9. Poland 3%
10. United States 3%
11. France 2%
12. Ecuador 2%
13. Indonesia 1.7%

The Latin part of the Americas clearly wins. Russia clearly visible, US very low. Europe, while cumulatively number one (Ger+Sp+Poland+France 13%) is still below expectation.

If I compare this to my "feel", then I'd say Russia and Brazil should be much higher on the chart, and also Europe in general. Russia and Brazil extensively use FPC in education, so many students can simply get it from the school's servers, and they have own locally run forums which often have mirror sites too.

The main mirrors are European, I assume the Europeans frequent FPC's own mirrors more.

The low US percentage is probably even inflated by large groups using other mirrors, since Pascal never was very popular in the US. At least not after 1990.

The high Mexican percentage surprises me. We have one or two developers from there, but you don't see that many Mexicans on the list (while we do see e.g. a lot of Brazilians, so it can't be all language barrier)
ike

FreeSoftware in Government

Post by ike »

In Russia, Vladimir Putin is in the news for something completely unexpected from him. A translated copy of a Russian article says that Putin has declared that the country will begin to make the change to free software in mid-2012. The document outlines plans for the country's transition between 2011 and 2015. The federal and state governments in Russia are to completely switch over to GNU/Linux systems during this time period.
The Russian government has five goals to meet, according to the official document: Free software in pilot sites, followed by data formats supported by free software in 2011; in 2012, changes are intended for the recording of assets and the creation of a national repository will be initiatied; in 2014, free software is to be used in government and financial institutions. Officials have said that the repository may function something like the iTunes App Store, except for open source Linux software.

================
And he said thet all money saved by using free software will be allocated to russian programmers active in developing it
================
THIS IS GOOD IDEA AND IF IT IS SUCCESFUL will be followed by others!!!
marcov

Re: FreeSoftware in Government

Post by marcov »

ike wrote:
And he said thet all money saved by using free software will be allocated to russian programmers active in developing it
That is the main bit. Not so much money saving (which usually costs more money than it saves, contrary to much OSS propaganda), but making sure that (the bulk of) the spent money remains in the country
THIS IS GOOD IDEA AND IF IT IS SUCCESFUL will be followed by others!!!
Afaik Brazil has such policy for a long time (and very, very succesful)
TESLACOIL

Post by TESLACOIL »

with nearly a million dloads in total so there must be around 1000 regular users on the planet (one in a thousand take up is a reasonable take up guestimate)

the upper figure of regular users is highly unlikely to exceed 10,000 and in all probability the real figure is somewhere between 750 and 3000 'regular' users

using the lower estimate i am 1 of 9 UK FB users in the world , lol

as British people seldom speak foreign languages & there is a strong leaning to join forums or use products in your native tongue many of those 9 Brits prolly use this forum
dkl
Site Admin

Post by dkl »

I wouldn't make any assumptions based on the SF download counters, since I have experienced resets when moving/renaming/reuploading downloads, and also this is not the only place where FB is commonly downloaded from.

Sourceforge seemed to have problems with download stats earlier this year, the last update I heard about it is that there was no loss of data but they're still working on importing all of it into the new download stats tracker.
vladimir777

my estimate 7142

Post by vladimir777 »

http://www.lazarussupport.com/lazarus/w ... statistics

LAZARUS 25000 users estimate

then
LAZARUS:
473 Recommendations
10252 Downloads (This Week)

FB:
112 Recommendations
3734 Downloads (This Week)

473/112= 4.22
10252/3734= 2.7

then (4.22+2.7) = 3.5

25000/3.5 = 7142
==============================
It will triple when OO is included
And then triple again when we get OO GUI toolkit
and triple again when we get Real IDE
==============================

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_m ... e_software
http://www.digitalmars.com/
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

In Russia, FreeBASIC downloads YOU!
TESLACOIL

Post by TESLACOIL »

one thing you can be 100% sure numbers wise of is regular forum users

1 post a month average = stick programming lang x

when you count global forum users with that profile you will prolly get 750 to 3000

Q how many forum users here have posted 12 post in the last 12 months ?

It looks like 1 new regular user joins freebasic.net each month on average.

online communities MUST decline at rate greater than 1% per year due to death / age related retirement etc so recruitment MUST exceed mortality level if nothing else
AGS

Re: my estimate 7142

Post by AGS »

Were you not that guy, vladimir, that advocates using the-programming-language-whose-name-should-not-be-mentionded? An infidel, a non - BASIC programmer, a member of a fifth colon trying to undermine the use of BASIC as a programming language by advocating the use of the-programming-language-whose-name-should-not-be-mentionded?

Go back to writing software in the-programming-language-whose-name-should-not-be-mentionded. Be gone, infidel!
vladimir777

Post by vladimir777 »

I advocate using FB! and I am half/half VB6/C++

but sometime I explore other languages like one you mention, then D, and VALA

and by the way I already did some work in FB/GTK - simple bookeping stuff