What's your social security number?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
KristopherWindsor

What's your social security number?

Post by KristopherWindsor »

Well now that I know where you all live and how old you are, I just need your social security numbers. If you don't live in the US, then you're too far away for me to bother stealing your identity anyway.
Thanks.
bcohio2001

Post by bcohio2001 »

How about mother's maiden name for direct access into bank accounts. Eaiser than stealing identities, just take the money direct.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

My mother's birth name:

Eroditus-Canopussa Retrara Elisa Ensalet dam R'yeKa

- good luck with that.
badidea

Post by badidea »

Oh, you can try to take over my identity, but I think it is a bad idea :-)
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Ok... my mother's real name is Doreen Valiente. :p
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

My mother's maiden name is Steffinit Enuranus.
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

If you are willing to go through the trouble of stealing my identity, then you deserve the $17.48 that is in my bank account.
KristopherWindsor

Imortis wrote:If you are willing to go through the trouble of stealing my identity, then you deserve the $17.48 that is in my bank account.
Have any good credit cards?
relsoft

Post by relsoft »

Who's yo momma?! Phone mode
TESLACOIL

being one of millions is the only protection we have

Post by TESLACOIL »

being one of millions is the only protection we have against Blind Mass Attacks and fishing bots etc

if for any reason you are singled out as a target ( because your info is easily available online ) the hackers can just rip you , your family, friends and co workers to shreds

plenty of people are blasé due to the cloaking effect of numbers, till they or someone they know get screwed. You might have zip in your own account

but you're exposing those around you by hanging up a neon sign for the hackers...take 2 minutes to think like a hacker, a sideways attack strategy will become more prevalent as time goes on & the traditional front and backdoors get decorated with padlocks

the kind of robust yeah whatever attitude that might win you respect in the street or in the workplace also hoists you on your own petard in the online arena...the bigger the display of 'bring it on' acting as a magnet to neredowells who by there nature have fine tuned their hunting skills

up to know the pond has been swimming with net noobs , hacking fairly straightforward. The more years we are online the greater the trail we leave behind. A mine of information for the next wave of more sophisticated hacking strategies.

Sony style blunders not exactly helping the good guys.

Hackers still work on the return on investment but that never stopped a street mugger from coshing an old granny for busfare , nor will it stop a trainee hacker from swooping if youre the blip on their radar.

scary stuff , In not looking forward to get cybershafted, in fact i am prolly now more at risk from hacking than burglary

i hate giving out false info online, in RL im open and honest , online i never give out accurate information , stuff like age , city , job etc etc are all obfuscated or approximated. But then i know what the dangers are and what my online weaknesses are. ...all this hacking stuff realy sucks and gets in the way, but you are just a fool to yourself if you think you are immune
Mentat

Post by Mentat »

014 - 65 - 5727

That's my social security number XOR-encrypted with a random 72 bit key. Beat that immunity, Tesla :P
Richard

Post by Richard »

The elimination of a troll from the FB site, with the associated reduction in negativity has resulted in a more friendly, helpful and non-threatening forum. Unfortunately, some members have become a little complacent and relaxed their defences. While this is great for the FB forum, please remember that any information you drop now can be swept up later and built into the detail of a bigger picture that may then be used to the detriment of you, your community or bank.

It is more secure to post no information than false or useless information. Psychologically, it is a bit like trading rumours or sharing secrets. Whether you are posting true or false information, every time you post you are encouraging others to subconsciously lower their guard.
Mentat

Post by Mentat »

I have a feeling that I missed something big in my hiatus from here. Anywho, it's just some random numbers I pulled from /dev/random, it has no connection to my real SS number.
KristopherWindsor

Mentat wrote:I have a feeling that I missed something big in my hiatus from here. Anywho, it's just some random numbers I pulled from /dev/random, it has no connection to my real SS number.
But it really is your SSN XOR'd with a random key. :p
Mentat

Post by Mentat »

Well, I'm sure you can make an XOR key such that it gives the appropriate results :P