Off Topic / Religion -> Bible chat rooms? [Closed]

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

Hello everyone,

While I sincerely respect (and appreciate) your individual opinions on this matter, most of your responses are tangent to my original post. I find it disappointing and disrespectful that rudimentary self-control couldn't have been exercised.

This was not intended as a debate thread. Any such content is off-topic and deserves a separate outlet for those interested in discussing it.

Sincere thanks,
anonymous1337

@Ryan:

Hey man! You normally in #freebasic? I'm at school from 8 AM to 10 PM on the weekdays so I have plenty of time for IRC on the school computers :P
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I typically just hang on work related channels, but I'll lurk in #freebasic throughout the week. Ping me when you're up for a chat... doubt you'll find me awake at 8 AM, though. ; )

My IRC nick is rszrama.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

If a forum member, who I consider a friend, comes in here asking about The Bible, I will exercise my need to express my negative opinion about the contradicting, outdated and barbaric (by our standards, norms and laws) verses written in the Bible, and try to point out these to him, in hope he will concentrate his intelligence and time into something more constructive. One can choose to cherry pick the pretty parts of our holy books, but any intelligent and free-thinking person that is truly HONEST TO HIMSELF cannot consider The Bible, Koran and other holy books to be THE WORDS OF THE SUPREME CREATOR OF OUR REALITY. So I implore all the people who were born into a religion or opened themselves to religion because of friends, significant other or simply in time of weakness when they convinced themselves they can't heal their emotional wounds without turning to religion, to deeply and seriously contemplate on what they consider to be divinely inspired.
Prime Productions

Post by Prime Productions »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:If a forum member, who I consider a friend, comes in here asking about The Bible, I will exercise my need to express my negative opinion about the contradicting, outdated and barbaric (by our standards, norms and laws) verses written in the Bible, and try to point out these to him, in hope he will concentrate his intelligence and time into something more constructive.
Why the need?

Where does it affect you in any way? Christianity is neither non-constructive nor non-intelligent. Many great men believed the Bible. Even if his or her beliefs according to you are non-constructive, it does not mean he/she will be non-constructive.

Back on topic, there are some live chat rooms like:
http://christianchat.com/ (I have been on this one, they are mostly christians, but some are not overly conservative. Not sure if this is a problem)
http://christianchat.net/

There are also some forums:

http://www.christianforums.com/ (Why so many ads? lol)
http://www.christianityboard.com/

Regards,
David
adhay

Post by adhay »

anonymous1337,

When you have a few minutes, check out http://acim-search.miraclevision.com/st ... index.html. It's a book in three parts ... I suggest you take a quick look at Part III, Manual For Teachers for starters.

Best wishes for you on your quest.

Aloha,

Alex
rolliebollocks

Post by rolliebollocks »

To a lot of people Christianity represents the demonization of their way of life. Indians, Africans, Native Americans have all suffered at the hands of the Christianizing West which came in the name of Jesus Christ and brought nothing but death and damnation.

You can accept the genius of Christ's simple ethics without accepting Christianity, and you can do so knowing that so many of have accepted Christianity without accepting, "Judge not lest ye be judged" or better to "turn the other cheek" than raise a sword to your enemy.

My only advice is that you know the difference, because people use the teachings of Christ to abuse and oppress each other, fully believing that they are living in God's grace.
qbworker

Post by qbworker »

**REMOVED BY AUTHOR**
Last edited by qbworker on Feb 22, 2011 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
jevans4949

Post by jevans4949 »

@anonymous1337: Most Christian sites tend to develop into a flame war worse than this, I'm afraid. If you want to email me privately, (address in my profile), I will attempt to answer your questions. Sorry I didn't respond earlier.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

Thanks for those of you who gave constructive posts.

Thanks to the rest of you, too, but I feel as though my intelligence has been insulted slightly :)

I'm well more than capable of thinking for myself, and performing critical analysis on systems of logic. I'm very critical in this regard, so you shouldn't worry so much.
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

anonymous1337, when I was around 18 years of age I made a commitment to accept the truth, no matter how controversial it was to my world,
I studied different religions and philosophies but always with that intent, to know the truth.
there are many (most) Pastors-preachers that have some truth in what they say or preach, but by in large will always fall short of the truth, my advise to you, is to truly seek the truth, don't accept anything unless you have followed up and studied the subject.
one book I recently started to read and really enjoy is "The Guide for the Perplexed" by Rabbi Moshe ben Maimon, better known as Maimonides or "the Rambam". see the wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guide_ ... _Perplexed.
also think about where the Christian faith began and go back to the roots.
Merick

Post by Merick »

Meh, whatever, only those who have died know the truth
KristopherWindsor

Post by KristopherWindsor »

jevans4949 wrote:@anonymous1337: Most Christian sites tend to develop into a flame war worse than this, I'm afraid.
I've seen (much) more tolerance / respect at my (public) state university in (liberal) CA. But I guess the smart people learned Python and moved on.
jevans4949

Post by jevans4949 »

@KW: Constructive discussion should be the norm. Unfortunately, as with many secular blog sites, it ends up with one or two people shouting "You are a wicked sinner", which doesn't help the genuine enquirer move forward.
joseywales72

Post by joseywales72 »

First of all, I must inform you that I was born a Muslim, as a Turk, you do not have any other option. My mother was half Russian and had some negative opinions on religion but she never tried to convince me to do or believe in anything. On the other hand, my father was a devout Muslim, and he still is. He makes his daily prayers, fasts etc. I went to mosques on Fridays with him sometimes, and never liked what is being told there. But in Turkey, we have always been a little different than other Muslim countries. A healthy amount of people consumes alcohol, a great majority of women in cities especially, do not cover their heads. And majority of pious people are far from being radicals.

Anyway, I had not very much sympathy for Islam or any religion since my childhood but as I grow older and read and study (I studied Law and English Literature) I gradually lost all my faith in all religions. I also observed that many people around me did not practice their faith, but pretended to do so. In fact, my limited experience with European and American Christians led me to believe that many of them are more sincere believers than my fellow countrymen.

I had read both The Bible (King James) and The Koran and I could not get myself to believe that they are God's words. They are simply too... simple to be the words of an omnipotent being. When I was 14 I was watching Carl Sagan on Cosmos. He told that when he found out about Lot and the fate of Sodom and Gomorrah in Bible, he quit believing. A father presenting his daughters to an angry mob for the protection of his holy guests? That was a turning point for me as well. The same story is in Koran also. I don't know. This is a very ugly thing at the least.

I only believe in good will. I try to live decent, try not to lie, help people, love nature. I expect the same from the people around me. I do not believe that to be a good person, one needs to have an instutionalized religion. On the contrary, trying to live decent because of the fear of God is the most hypocritic thing to do in my opinion.

My two cents about this issue. Sorry for any mistakes and unintended insults.
Anil
roook_ph

Post by roook_ph »

admins cut this crappy threads off its turning into a holy war!!!