Off Topic / Religion -> Bible chat rooms? [Closed]

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
anonymous1337

Off Topic / Religion -> Bible chat rooms? [Closed]

Post by anonymous1337 »

Hey,

I could use some advice regarding the Bible, especially from someone who has read it and does their best to live by it. I'm looking for an online chat room, mostly, but I haven't had any luck.

Does anyone know a place where I can discuss these matters freely?

Thanks,
- anonymous1337
Please read the following: http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopi ... 175#153175

Thank you.
Last edited by anonymous1337 on Mar 03, 2011 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

probably not what you are looking for but there's christian programmers forum here http://groups.google.com/group/christia ... club?hl=en
wish you luck.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

You don't want to hear my advice regarding the Bible.
roook_ph

Post by roook_ph »

Biblical discussions persists on self help or rehab type of forums.
rolliebollocks

Post by rolliebollocks »

Why don't you try something on campus? Every campus has Bible study groups. This isn't some guilt-reflex is it? You didn't kill anyone did you?

Either way, the best I can do is talk history, and mythography. I do think that if more Christians focused on Christ's teachings as they stand, you would not have all the weird sexual prohibitions, and anti-body-pleasure paranoia that's comes stock with religion.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

2 Kings:
(2:23) "As he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head."

(2:24) "And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them."
Gotta love that book!
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I'm happy to chat in IRC sometime, anonymous1337. I spent my undergrad doing Biblical studies, and I continue in the faith today. Don't know of any good general online forums, though, but I guess that's b/c I've never really looked.
j_milton

Post by j_milton »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:2 Kings:
(2:23) "As he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head."

(2:24) "And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them."
Gotta love that book!
Disturbing, but it gets more "interesting":

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

Now some folks seem to think this horror got fixed in the new testament... But no:

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them. (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)

I'd be interested in hearing from folks here who profess to be "Christians" what they have to say to the position outlined here:

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/
relsoft

Post by relsoft »

anonymous1337 asked a simple question and some "self-proclaimed geniuses" lambasts Christianity. Ditch the egotism please.

This just sickens me.

If you can't say something good don't say anything at all. Just my 2 cents.

No I'm not a hardcore religious person(Heh, I've never heard a mass in like a year already) but I believe "most" of the things in the Bible.
roook_ph

Post by roook_ph »

I believe relsoft he even attends 10 mile procession a catholic tradition every Lenten season ;)
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

@ j_milton

On slaves:

Inhabitants of this world may be seperated into two types.
Type 1)
Those who have no leaders, e.g. birds, fish and creatures who live spatial lives and travel vast distances in order to survive.

Type 2)
Those who rely on leaders e.g. some Mammals who are limited in their ability to cover vast distances, and must survive locally (territory)

To survive locally means close contact and local organisation.

Thus springs the leader (organiser/master).

With Type 2 mammals there is constant battling for leadership and power, for this power may open more individual opportunities (breeding etc.)

Humans are type 2. We have evolved clever ways to survive, and we can concentrate on better and better cleverness, sadly, in the same package comes the ever present battle for leadership and territory.

A slave is merely a name for a subordinate.

Have you never tried to please a superior? Of course you have, it is inbuilt in us, you may kick yourself at the thought of it, but it is not a fault, it is survival, we are all slaves of one kind or another.

God is our leader of leaders, God is needed, for we know that our leaders have faults just like us. God will listen to our thoughts, God bypasses our immediate leader to give us reassurance and perhaps an answer or a guide so that we may continue.

On limbs:

We are given two of most things, we were born into a group (Race, Clan, Sect, tribe etc.)
We can assist others and others can assist us within the group.

Three limbs would seem to require more brainpower to operate, this would inhibit our hunting and ability to escape from predators with just two.

Whether Two is the optimal number for survival or the working number in the Earth's DNA for our species at present (which could change in due course), I don't know.

If we lose a limb, our group will help us, so we must stay faithful to our group, we must remain enslaved to our group.

We can't go out on a limb.
j_milton

Post by j_milton »

@Relsoft:

Latchie & I do no more than quote chapter and verse from the bible and that makes us "self-proclaimed geniuses" looking to stoke our egos?

That's your response, so be it, but I must say it comes off as sounding a bit over the top to me.
relsoft

Post by relsoft »

roook_ph wrote:I believe relsoft he even attends 10 mile procession a catholic tradition every Lenten season ;)
5 miles. ;*)
j_milton

Post by j_milton »

dodicat wrote:@ j_milton

On slaves:
[snip]
A slave is merely a name for a subordinate.

Have you never tried to please a superior? Of course you have, it is inbuilt in us, you may kick yourself at the thought of it, but it is not a fault, it is survival, we are all slaves of one kind or another.
The word "slave" can certainly be used in this way, but to suggest that the numerous references to slavery in the old testament are doing this, and not in fact referring to Chattel slavery i.e.
"A civil relationship in which one person has absolute power over the life, fortune, and liberty of another."
or to suggest that the bible has not been used over the centuries to provide a moral justification for practice of Chattel slavery is absurd in the same way that it is absurd to deny that the Nazis committed the Holocaust during World War two
Richard

Post by Richard »

It would be really good if members could avoid discussion of any specific religious content in this thread. Every belief system is different. This FreeBASIC forum is really not an appropriate site for the judgement and criticism of other members belief systems.

Please use your valuable time wisely, while making your Moderators' task easier, by restricting your posts in this thread to links to other discussion group sites as originally requested by anonymous1337 at the head of this thread.