Let's Build a Roguelike

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
Jocke The Beast

Post by Jocke The Beast »

Nice update!
Everything is working as far as I've tested. Great work as always Rick!
rdc

Post by rdc »

Added Chapter 30. See first post.
ExxtaC

Where is chapter 1?

Post by ExxtaC »

Where is chapter 1? I just joined the forum today and I would like to have it.
Jocke The Beast

Post by Jocke The Beast »

You can download the latest Chapter (30) and then you get all the chapters (1-30).
rdc

Post by rdc »

Added Chapters 31-32. See first post.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

Hey, cool! So we're permitted to modify this, too? Wow. I'm going to keep this on my USB and take another look at it.

Oh by the way - I have seen this before, but could never remember where because it's in Beginners while I thought it was in Community Discussion or Projects.
TJF

Post by TJF »

anonymous1337 wrote:Oh by the way - I have seen this before, but could never remember where because it's in Beginners while I thought it was in Community Discussion or Projects.
I think experienced users should help to sort the topics into the right forum index. Sometimes a thread gets bigger and bigger and better like this one and therefore it needs to get resorted. From my point of view it also can be sorted in Documentation.
rdc

Post by rdc »

anonymous1337 wrote:Hey, cool! So we're permitted to modify this, too? Wow. I'm going to keep this on my USB and take another look at it.
Yes, feel free to mess away as much as you want. :)
rdc

Post by rdc »

TJF wrote:I think experienced users should help to sort the topics into the right forum index. Sometimes a thread gets bigger and bigger and better like this one and therefore it needs to get resorted. From my point of view it also can be sorted in Documentation.
I put this in Beginners since it is an extended tutorial on building a roguelike in FB. I could have put it in Game Dev, but it is geared toward someone who hasn't a lot of experience in game development, and Game Dev seems to be more of an experienced game dev section.

What we need I think is a Tutorial section where these type of things can be easily found. Tips and Tricks does serve this purpose to some extent, but the implication of T & T is short little routines rather than extended ones like this.

It doesn't matter to me though where this ends up. Whatever seems best to you all.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

That's an entirely valid suggestion. A tutorials forum would be excellent.
TJF

Post by TJF »

anonymous1337 wrote:That's an entirely valid suggestion. A tutorials forum would be excellent.
And we need people filling it (like rdc).
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

>_> Some of us take personal joy in writing tutorials. Maybe we feel special having our name on something other people use.
rdc

Post by rdc »

TJF wrote:
anonymous1337 wrote:That's an entirely valid suggestion. A tutorials forum would be excellent.
And we need people filling it (like rdc).
After I finish LBAR I thought I would do a couple more "books". FreeBasic 101 would be an introductory programmer's manual (along the same lines as my failed fBeginner), and FreeBasic OOP, an overview of the object model FB uses and how it can be used in programs. The formats would be the same as LBAR. From the feedback I have gotten on LBAR, most folks like the format, and it is easy to produce.

So, they would be a handful of things there from me. I'm sure others would contribute as well.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

I thought FBeginner was excellent. In what ways did it fail?
rdc

Post by rdc »

anonymous1337 wrote:I thought FBeginner was excellent. In what ways did it fail?
Not finishing it. The compiler was going through so many changes at the time, I just couldn't keep up. Now though, the compiler is stable, so it would be a good time to revisit the project.