Procedural block world project

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
agamemnus

Post by agamemnus »

Gonzo, those pics are amazing.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

Gonzo, are you thinking of releasing your final game to the public?
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

leopardpm wrote:Gonzo, are you thinking of releasing your final game to the public?
nope, it will only stay here if i dont decide to remove it

also, new build out!
Some new features are: basic daylight system, torches, blocks that emit light (such as lava), a much faster lighting system and caves deep underground!
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

jeesus! Do you ever eat?!?!?!?
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

How do I use/see torches and lighted lava and stuff? I see lots of neato underground caves, with shields of water and stuff... but where are torches?
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

leopardpm wrote:How do I use/see torches and lighted lava and stuff? I see lots of neato underground caves, with shields of water and stuff... but where are torches?
in your inventory, should be the first thing you see when you mousewheel through the list of blocks you can place
left click to place it etc
agamemnus

Post by agamemnus »

If you have some sort of storyline or maybe sim-builder engine to go with this, I think it would be an amazing full game.

(I guess for the sim-builder concept, you'd need both static and dynamic blocks, or perhaps super-block trees, or else it'll be really slow)

Expanding on super-block trees: the idea would be to have several blocks in a node, and several of those nodes in a bigger node, and so on. Then, when the geometry of one block changes, you only need to change the geometry of the smaller nodes it belongs to.. if one node loses all its blocks, you just delete that node. Something like that...
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

I have been thinking along those lines, using octree representations of voxel sprites (animated and static). depending on how the rendering engine iterates through the scene, blocks could contain pointers to these multiBlock sprites and just continue rendering as if they were 'in the scene' - or directly copy the sprites into the terrain file. I think keeping them separate has lots more advantages though... especially for animation. I was wondering also if polygon models could occupy these enlarged voxel spaces, in order to mix the two types of geometry (voxel & poly) in the same scene, kinda like how chung does it. I guess it doesn't have to be 'octree' per se, but I am hooked on that because of speed and space savings for large volumes of voxels. just dreaming is all...
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

I had to upload another build, there were a few problems with the transitional light between the depths and the surface
I also made lava flow (but be careful! its a flowing light:P so its slow!)
and, day transitions should be faster and smoother now (but not good by my standards)
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

well, I still don't see torches... found alot of caves... went through all my blocks through wheel-click... tried every other key on the key board and when I hit 'r' I fell through the world and save a complex of rooms/hallways beneath...but when I tried to get there... it crashed... so sad... no torches for me, no complex for me, only falling through the world..

also noticed a grand slow down compared to previous version as far as putting up blocks to the screen... you broke your renderer?
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

leopardpm wrote:well, I still don't see torches... found alot of caves... went through all my blocks through wheel-click... tried every other key on the key board and when I hit 'r' I fell through the world and save a complex of rooms/hallways beneath...but when I tried to get there... it crashed... so sad... no torches for me, no complex for me, only falling through the world..

also noticed a grand slow down compared to previous version as far as putting up blocks to the screen... you broke your renderer?
i dont know how you could miss the torch, being first on the list of items you can place :P
you do realize that caves literally made the world twice as big? before it was just ground and up, now theres the depth as well, which means twice the work
so, no, the renderer isnt broken :P
however, as always i find different ways to speed things up

New build is out, fixes alot of stuff, but most importantly the engine is faster overall
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

I did have problems uncompressing the files, so maybe I am using an 'old' file somewheres... will do it all again from scratch...

Yeah, I understand about the 'increasing world size' due to caves... I keep forgetting that you all are not raycasting (with built-in culling, hidden surface removal, et al) which would not care how large the world was or how many objects/triangles there were. In a true 3-D environment is where raycasting/tracing into a voxel world really starts to be more efficient (well, maybe not 'more' over all...)
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

maybe you downloaded it while i was still uploading it.. or another :P i secretly upload builds if i find problems

like this time, i just uploaded a build with cascading falling sand
watch where you go!

edit: fixed
http://dm.fwsnet.net/fallingblockcascade.PNG

http://dm.fwsnet.net/lavariver.PNG
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

gonzo,
in your first post you said a few things that I would like to clarify:
The renderer is slow for many reasons, including the fact im not uploading to the GPU.
Im not sure what the FPS will be when the GPU is running with warpdrive on :)
when you said that you are not uploading to the GPU, I assumed you were talking about VBO's..... or are you talking about actually uploading code onto the GPU (ie:GPGPU coding) - I just came across this 'ability' and have been reading a bit about it... I guess that even though Graphics cards are pretty Polygon specific, you CAN upload/program a true voxel raycaster and data and have the full power of the GPU doing the 'true' voxel rendering instead of first converting all to triangles.... VERY interesting, but maybe not very practical.

What do you mean by 'warpdrive'?