New FBGD game making competition with a 200$ 1st place prize

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Lachie Dazdarian

New FBGD game making competition with a 200$ 1st place prize

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

FBGD is sponsoring a new game making competition as of today, which will last till 17th January of 2011. The main theme of the competition is GAMEPLAY COMBINATION. 1st place prize is 200 $ (payable via PayPal or Moneybookers), while the 2nd place prize is 100 $.

Competition rules:

* the entry must include at least two obviously different gameplays/game modes, connected in a single game
* source code must be provided with the entry
* all libraries wrapped for FreeBASIC are allowed
* the competition entries must be submitted via email or in this thread before the 17th of Jan (Monday), 2011, 20:00 GMT
* the winner will receive 200 $ cash prize paid via Moneybookers, PayPal or in goods payable with PayPal or Mooneybookers; the runner-up will receive 100 $ cash prize
* all entries will be evaluated solely by me (Lachie Dazdarian), while one category will be consisted of community votes

For more details on the rules (be sure to read it all to fully understand the competition theme) visit the official competition thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=458.0

Feel free to comment and to announce and/or submit your entries in this thread as well.

Thank you for expressing interest and participating.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Excellent news, Lachie. Will put on my thinking cap.

If anyone needs inspiration, you might check out this convergence of a vertical shmup with a top-down action platformer, Tile Massacre SHMUP:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9722.0
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

Lachie, are the two modes supposed to be combined or can the game flow from one mode to the next, like side-scroller to flight sim?

-Vince
Lachie Dazdarian

Yes, they can flow from one mode to the next. Full freedom here.
HD_

Post by HD_ »

This looks like fun!
Prime Productions

Post by Prime Productions »

Lachie, are all graphics supposed to be original, or can some be free stuff found on different web-sites?

I think I have an idea this time.

David
Lachie Dazdarian

You can use non-original graphics, but be sure to credit it properly or you'll get 0 points in the graphics category.
Lachie Dazdarian

Almost two weeks since the start of the competition. I encourage everyone who is willing or feels comfortable to share his plans, concepts or WIP with the community, to make the flow of the competition more interesting.

A note that few planned concepts for the competition have already been revealed in the FBGD forum.

Cheers!
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

I will be working on my creation over the Thanksgiving holiday. I'm giving myself 10 days to get the bulk of my game done. My game is a combination of a top-down shooter and Tetris. Enemies are coming down at you to destroy your shields and as you shoot them, they break apart into pieces that you fit (Tetris Style) to build up your defense. Complete Tetris lines increase your shields, where enemy parts that don't fit build up and potentially will collapse your base.

That's my idea. We will see if it comes together.

-Vince
Lachie Dazdarian

Over a month since the start of the competition. Abut 45 days left!

Do you have your concepts worked out? Did you start developing? If you feel comfortable with that, please be so kind to post details regarding your entries (concepts, screenshots, progress, etc.).

Thanks!

Some participants revealed details of their entries already. Check them out in the FBGD forum:
http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=458.0
http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?board=5.0 (Tron 20XI and Outpost).

Good luck!
Lachie Dazdarian

One month left to go, guys. Good luck!
Lachie Dazdarian

Anyone plans to submit before the deadline who doesn't visit my forum? Only one more week left to go! Hurry up!

Few demos/betas have been posted in my forum: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=458.60
Lachie Dazdarian

Closing the competition soon. It seems that it will be 6 entries, and one unfinished attempt. I'll post some screenshots here once I close. I plan to open a community vote thread in my forum within a day or two.
Lachie Dazdarian

Competition closed!

Take a peek at some of the entries:

Adventure for Breakfast!

Witchcraft Adventure

Plix TowerDefense

Bad Cave Guy

I'll provide the links for all the entries once I open the community vote thread.

Cheers!
agamemnus

Post by agamemnus »

"Witchcraft Adventure" and "Plix TowerDefense" look sweet! Can't wait!