Catching A Crash

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
vdecampo

Catching A Crash

Post by vdecampo »

I have a FreeBasic program that I am trying to find an intermittent crash problem. It runs for several days then will crash. I ran GDB on it and all it caught was an exit code of 6. Any ideas what that might mean? The app did not shut down properly and seems to just exit out of the main loop with this error code. I am starting to get frustrated. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I also ran a resource monitor and did not notice any memory leaking.

-Vince
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

More Information...

There is a service that is logged in the Event log right at the time of the app crash...
Information 12/4/2010 12:00:06 AM Service Control Manager 7036 None The Multimedia Class Scheduler service entered the running state.
This is a Win7 32-bit system.

-Vince
j_milton

Post by j_milton »

Is there anything consistant about the crashes i.e. amount of time the program has been running, time of day that it crashes, etc? In general terms what does the application do? for example is it dependant on external hardware inputs or is is it just running some huge computation
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

j_milton wrote:Is there anything consistant about the crashes i.e. amount of time the program has been running, time of day that it crashes, etc?
Yes, the app crashed at exactly 00:00 midnight and coincides with that service message. I am wondering if there is something related to setting timeBeginPeriod(1) for the entire application loop. I have disabled that and am running another test.
In general terms what does the application do? for example is it dependant on external hardware inputs or is is it just running some huge computation
The app is doing a lot of things. It is a DVR app which captures multiple video streams, compresses them, displays them, records them to disk, updates GUIs, tracks and logs alarms, motion, and system events...etc...etc.

-Vince
j_milton

Post by j_milton »

At the risk of being patronizing Google search on your error msg reveals extensive discussions about instability issues between 3rd party device drivers and win7. Mostly network adaptors, but also graphics and usb. Also bios issues on some mother boards that predate win7.

Collective wisdom seems to be to configure the system as far as possible with drivers included by Windows rather than stuff that came with 3rd party hardware, update the remainer with current manufacterers versions

It would be instructive to run the app on some other os if possible, see if that helps...