Anyone remember Moria?

Game development specific discussions.
CommanderRaven

Post by CommanderRaven »

No biggie on the source. I have since found a few bugs since then, so that source has issues. Nothing major, but there are definately bugs.

I made some pretty neat progress in the last couple of weeks. I'm starting to see the end of the tunnel, so Beta 3 will probably be out November/December time frame.

RC1 should follow a few weeks later, hopefully around New Years. And depending on bugs, RC2, 5.0 Final will be out next.

http://games.tcshouston.net

See the screenshot page for the latest screen shots!

Happy gaming!
CommanderRaven

Post by CommanderRaven »

Hi Everyone,

I'm making good progress on Moria. Beta 3 should be shipping in the next month.

But I have also found a bunch of bugs in the current Beta 2. The bugs are severe enough that anyone wanting to look at the game, I highly recommend waiting until Beta 3.

Too many numerous things to list that I found broken today. Amazing that I never found the bugs until today...

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!
Jocke The Beast

Post by Jocke The Beast »

Never fun with big bugs, but it's good you've found it so it can be taken care of.

Eager to try beta 3 when it's done, love what you've done so far!
Great work!
CommanderRaven

Post by CommanderRaven »

I've got good news, and bad news!

The Good news, I've pretty much finished woth Beta3. I need to do some more housekeeping on a few things, and then I can release it.

But the bad news, my webserver, which I have hosted offsite is down. I'll have to go to the offsite location on Monday to get the server back up, or I'll have to replace the server.

Either way it will be some time next week before I get my website back up.

Talk about timing...

But expect Beta 3 soon...
Jocke The Beast

Thanks for sharing the information. I usually take a visit to your dev-log about Moria once a day, so now I/we know what happend!

Looking forwards to Beta 3 :)
CommanderRaven

Post by CommanderRaven »

Ok, replaced the dead hard drive, and replaced the bad power supply, and my old HP server is back up. I got a old copy of my website on there right now.

I'm going to move the server back to the offsite location this afternoon, and tonight I'll get beta 3 update up to the website.

The other good news, I think Beta 4 will be out sooner than later. I've taken a good look at the Creature module.

I've changed how I'm going to do the sound, and do something similar to what I did for equipment sounds.

Bottomline, a month or so from now, I should have Beta 4 ready. Maybe sooner.

Expect a beta 3a within two weeks, with default sounds for creatures.

IE Beta 3a all creatures will have the same walking sound when they move. But Beta 4 creatures like Worm masses will have a squish sound when they move, a dragon will have booming footstepes, etc.

But for now Beta 3 launches tonight!
Jocke The Beast

:) Nice release man.
Just began trying it out and I must say it's awesome so far.
Great work !
CommanderRaven

Post by CommanderRaven »

It was 7 months of work since Beta2! I'm glad you like it. I can't wait until I get RC1 out. I've got so many ideas for 5.1... I really want to start work on it!

But the game has come a long way in 8 months...

In that time I've almost doubled the raw code for the game. Original code was 900,000 bytes. Current code is almost 1,800,000 bytes!

More to come!!!
Jocke The Beast

Had a bug-crash:
Was on level 3, and walked on a tile with a spear (or something that looked similar to a stick or spear) and the game just froze. No keys worked, had to shut down.
I play the 30.8 MB version (no speech and music). Could it be some sound that should be played and was missing?
I'll try to reproduce the bug and see if it happens again.

Ps.
Love your sound-effects, really pro-stuff. Great work!
CommanderRaven

Post by CommanderRaven »

That's very strange. I am posting a minor EXE update that fixes a problem with Female Mana users (IE Mage, Priest, etc.).

All of the Pikes, Glaves, spears, lance, etc. use the same sound fx.

And in the case the pickup does not have a play sound delay to end loop. It should play the sound, and the program resume.

Athough I have tested that if you turn on the speech, but don't have speech installed, to not crash.

Where there any creatures near you?

I will have to do more testing.
CommanderRaven

Post by CommanderRaven »

Found a bug where selling items did not work in most cases. Fixed it, Beta 3b is now out.

And per a user request, I added damage ratings to items.

IE it used stay Dagger (+0,+0)

Now it says Dagger (1x6) (+0,+0)

There is a catch. Since items in save game do not have updated text for items, you will only see the damage listed on new items. Or you can start a new game from scratch.
Jocke The Beast

CommanderRaven wrote:Where there any creatures near you?

I will have to do more testing.
Don't remember but there could have been some creatures nearby. And perhaps it was a trap a stepped on? Havn't been able to reproudce it...
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

What version of Moria 5 should I wait for the official entry into FBGD? I don't want to keep updating the game in my directory for several times.
CommanderRaven

Post by CommanderRaven »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:What version of Moria 5 should I wait for the official entry into FBGD? I don't want to keep updating the game in my directory for several times.
Wow, that's a tough call. My plan right now is to release Beta 4 in the next two weeks. But, it will not have all of the creature sounds available. I then plan on releasing weekly/biweekly updates, ie Beta 4a, 4b, 4c... each with more sound effects for more creatures. There are nearly 300 creatures! So I'm not sure how long it will take....

Once I have all creature sound done, then I'll release a package called RC1, as in release candidate 1. Then I'll play it, and wait for any issues or bugs.

At this point, I'll start work on 5.1, but if when bugs reports come in, I'll fix them, and release Release Candidate 2.

Assuming no more bugs reports come in, then I release 5.01 Final.

As for your site, for now I'd wait until RC1. That should be out in a couple more months. And the most stable and complete release.

I hope that helps...
CommanderRaven

Post by CommanderRaven »

FYI everyone Beta 4 is coming out this weekend. Sunday sometime.

Right now I'm trying to add as many individual creature sounds as I can. I've already added over 180 new sounds since Beta 3. Right now I have generic sounds for all creatures, and some individual sound effects for some specific creatures. I hope to have at least 25% of the sounds done by Sunday.

I've created a distance sound effect system, that I think is pretty damn cool.

Yesterday I was walking down a hall, and HEARD something bashing on a door. And I thought I wonder what that could be?

Release Candidate 1 should be out in a month or so with complete monster sound effects and few minor game tweaks.

Beta 4 also has a couple bug fixes. Health potions now work, prices in stores are now fixed for few items like lamps, a bug in the game for Armor graphics has also been fixed...

I need as many people playing the game as possible to find any bugs. Everyone that sends me feedback, I'm listing the game credits as a beta tester.... So keep the feedback coming guys!

Thanks for Playing!