Desire to make a jukebox proggie

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
kiyotewolf

Desire to make a jukebox proggie

Post by kiyotewolf »

Dear whoever,

I want to make a jukebox program.

It will launch other programs, and keep track of playlists, and videos, and such.

I can do this all my own, cause I've done enough code to handle the entire project.

Anyone with any shiny ideas to help me start this off with a flying leap out of the gate?

Shiny buttons, and slider controls, and GUI stuff, that's NOT OPP, would be helpful.

I know ppls say "I can't do gui without inheritance."

Huh?

I do GUI type code all the time, and I don't know inheritance.

I'm NOT NOT NOT talking down to the person who said that, I just am confused, I make or rather try to make GUI'ish stuff, anyways, within my own means.

~Kiyote!

Help! Plz! Kthnx.
Eponasoft

Post by Eponasoft »

Long before FB was the advanced compiler it is today... in fact, I believe it was even before FB could compile itself (when it was done in VBDOS)... myself and several others demonstrated pure GUI coding in Windows without using inheritance and without even using .rc files. So anyone who tells you that it cannot be done is full of BS. Anyways... FB comes with a number of GUI examples, you should probably start there.
kiyotewolf

Post by kiyotewolf »

is full of BS.
See, I didn't wanna say anything remotely like that in this thread, because I'm pretty sure that the one who said it, likes some of my existing projects.

I did not wanna draw a line in the sand, where the C++ ppls were facing head on with the GW-Basic raised fools.

I am that fool.

~~~

Srsly, no bashing peoples who say inheritance is important, I'm sure it is, just I don't know a clue or a thing about it.

Kthnx.

~Kiyote!
Eponasoft

Post by Eponasoft »

I'm not saying that it isn't important, I'm saying that it isn't necessary and anyone who says it is necessary is full of BS. It's not bashing, it's calling out ignorance and/or elitism, two things that this community doesn't need.
kiyotewolf

Post by kiyotewolf »

Eh. Ok.

This community has quite a few mature ppls in it.

I've never seen any real screaming and crying, like so many other programming forums.

~~~

I intend to make my GUI junk, into #include "" type files, a package.

I guess what I need to do, is simply finish my image editor to the point, where I can dump BASE64 versions of sprites, and have the editor auto-generate DATA FB basic statements, so I can easily drop in images.

~Kiyote!

Oh to actually finish something..
Oz

Post by Oz »

sir_mud was working on a lovely freebasic gfx gui.
Google Code Page

If you want to do actual win32 api and gtk, i'm sure there are wrapper libraries if you do a search through the forum.

-Oz
kiyotewolf

Post by kiyotewolf »

I tried the links underneath that link, and nothing is working.

I got some FTP directory, with java script pages, in the FTP, nothing useful.

I guess I have to register??

~Kiyote!

[EDIT] Nvm.. got it..

[EDIT 2]: How do I use the MAKEFILE ?
Oz

Post by Oz »

mudgui comes with build.bat, which is a windows batch file that will compile the program. Make sure you have fbc's path in the win32 environment path, or you open the batch file and put the full directory path in for fbc:
build.bat wrote:set FBC=fbc.exe
becomes
full path in build.bat wrote:set FBC=c:\FreeBASIC\fbc.exe
-Oz
TJF

Post by TJF »

Do you want to use RAD techniques to generate a professional cross platform GUI?

Use GTK+ as the toolkit, Galde3 to (graphical) design the GUI and GTK+tobac2.2.0 for the FB code sketching (GtkBuilder is available now):

Download GTK+ and Glade3 for win, (on LINUX GTK+ is included in most distros, just install Glade3).
Download GTK+tobac2.2.0 (win/LINUX)
kiyotewolf

Post by kiyotewolf »

Honestly, it's going to take me.. a very very.. long, time.. to switch into using Linux, heavy.

I have no real desire to make this cross platform, and I doubt my existing programming code would port over very well, anyways.

I know Windows is on the downslide, and that is sad, but I am kinda here to stay.

Thanks for the ideas though..

~Kiyote!

I'll look into it, just for the heck of it, after a bit here.
TJF

Post by TJF »

kiyotewolf wrote:.. to switch into using Linux, heavy.
You need not switch into using LINUX to code a GTK application. A lot of people use win to do so.

I have no ideas of the planed features of YOUR jukebox program. I understood that you'll need something like clipboard support, drag and drop from the explorer, .... Do you realy want to code this line by line?
notthecheatr

Post by notthecheatr »

FreeBASIC doesn't support inheritance at any rate so it probably doesn't matter too much. Many of the other features of OOP are available however, and I'd recommend learning them as programming with encapsulation makes a lot of things much, much easier. But it's your choice.

I'm trying to figure out if you're wanting to do a GUI for Windows or if you want to do a graphical GUI using some graphics library, either fbgfx or some external library. No matter how you do it there will be a learning curve (even if you do the entire GUI yourself, by hand) but that's a good thing, not a bad thing - anyone who wants to be a good programmer should enjoy learning.

Anyways, the option you choose will depend on your needs, or the needs of the target audience of your jukebox program (if you expect anyone besides yourself to use it - though given the fact that there are lots of media players out there already, I would assume you're mostly doing this for fun, interest, or learning). So what are your goals?