USB that is not a COMM port

For issues with communication ports, protocols, etc.
BrianKudsk

Post by BrianKudsk »

I will check right now
BrianKudsk

Post by BrianKudsk »

ok downloaded and installed. Got through the first error and have a new one
Cannot find lcbw2
phishguy

Post by phishguy »

Copy the CBW2.dll file to the same directory as your program and then it should work. Or, I believe that you can specify the path with #libpath.
BrianKudsk

Post by BrianKudsk »

Went back and tried to compile MikeW code again and got the same error.
BrianKudsk

Post by BrianKudsk »

trying that now
BrianKudsk

Post by BrianKudsk »

put the cbw32.dll in the same folder as FB. It compiled, however on run it stated it could not find the cbw32.dll.
phishguy

Post by phishguy »

I don't know what to tell you. The example that I posted compiled and ran with the DLL in the same folder.
BrianKudsk

Post by BrianKudsk »

I know thank you. I haven't given up yet. I will try to reinstall and then find the actual cbw32.dll again. A real challange to be sure.
Thanks again.
BrianKudsk

Post by BrianKudsk »

Success!!!!!!!!!
I uninstalled everything. Reloaded with a fresh download.
Put the cbw32.dll in the FB directory in the examples folder and in the main folder.
It compiled and ran. Now I need to understand what the output I saw was.
Again T H A N K Y o U phishguy
for sticking it out.
I will update you as soon as I hit my next goal.
BrianKudsk

Post by BrianKudsk »

ok, I have been playing with the hardware and the code you wrote. If I understand the code (keep in mind I am used to straight addressing outs. Each of the three ports having a dedicated address, so this code is quite differant) It seems that the code is virtual, not really outputting. Is that correct?
The reason I say this I cannot get the port to respond. I am continuing (of course) glutton for punishment and all.
I will study the code more to try to understand the various calls.
As a side note my entire reason for goinng to FB was I needed to be able to communicate at 38400 to the transducer ( remember you helped me with that also)
I don't think a DOS app will do that.
phishguy

Post by phishguy »

Yes, it is somewhat virtual. The function calls specify what port you are accessing. There is also a function call to specify the port direction and other function calls to set individual bits. You will need to look through the examples for the proper methods. There are examples in various languages in the download. I didn't have a chance to go through them all. Anyways, the Visual Basic or C examples should give you a good start at what the proper commands are. I am a little unsure of the function declaration for inputting data from the ports. However, the example for outputting data should work. Again, I am unable to test this without the USB DIO device. So, you may be a little bit on your own to figure it out.

You should be able to communicate at 38,400 baud using the DOS Freebasic port. You will not be able to use threads though.
BrianKudsk

Post by BrianKudsk »

That is intersting.
That may get me to where I need to be quickly , I may have to go that route and revisit this later.
Thanks Again.